cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cold boot issues on new build, please advise!

MightyMo
Level 7
Hi everyone

My first cold boot was successful with post and everything being recognized. While still plugged into the power outlet, warm boots, resets and booting from sleep is successful.

The issue starts once I unplug the system from the wall, I can't boot by simply pressing the power button, I can only cold boot if i hold down the power button for abit and then pressing it once. This powers up the PC just fine. Again warm boots, resets/restarts and booting from sleep is fine and works perfectly..

So I tried to troubleshoot this,
1. By pressing clr cmos on mobo on cold boots, this starts the computer straight away, but issues stiil occurs if I cold boot by simply pressing the power button.

2. So now I turned off the system, unplugged the power supply and pressed clr cmos button. I then plugged the system back in and pressed the power button and it powered up with no long press on power button on a cold boot. So excited, I turned off the system, then unplugged it, this time NOT clearing cmos, I had the cold boot issue again. I had to hold down the power button and then press it again to boot.

Everything seems stable, I have no issues and mobo Qcode is AO (which is good)
My temps are 29-32 degrees idle and 60 on load

Please note, issue is only with cold boots.

Can anyone advise what could be the problem here?

My system specs are as follows;
MOBO: ASUS Maximus Hero VIII (Bios 1701)
CPU: i7-6700K @4Ghz
Cooler: Noctua NH-12US
RAM: G.Skill RipJaws V @ 2133mhz
GPU: GTX 1070 Strix
PSU: EVGA P2 850W
SSD: Samsung EVO 850 250GB
HHD: WD Blue 1TB
Optical Drive: ASUS BT
CASE: Corsair 760T V2

I hope to solve this issue - Thanks!

UPDATE 1: I updated the mobo to BIOS 2202 and still have the issue on cold boots 😕
10 REPLIES 10

Stukow
Level 7
MightyMo wrote:
Hi everyone

My first cold boot was successful with post and everything being recognized. While still plugged into the power outlet, warm boots, resets and booting from sleep is successful.

The issue starts once I unplug the system from the wall, I can't boot by simply pressing the power button, I can only cold boot if i hold down the power button for abit and then pressing it once. This powers up the PC just fine. Again warm boots, resets/restarts and booting from sleep is fine and works perfectly..

So I tried to troubleshoot this,
1. By pressing clr cmos on mobo on cold boots, this starts the computer straight away, but issues stiil occurs if I cold boot by simply pressing the power button.

2. So now I turned off the system, unplugged the power supply and pressed clr cmos button. I then plugged the system back in and pressed the power button and it powered up with no long press on power button on a cold boot. So excited, I turned off the system, then unplugged it, this time NOT clearing cmos, I had the cold boot issue again. I had to hold down the power button and then press it again to boot.

Everything seems stable, I have no issues and mobo Qcode is AO (which is good)
My temps are 29-32 degrees idle and 49-55 on load

Please note, issue is only with cold boots.

Can anyone advise what could be the problem here?

My system specs are as follows;
MOBO: ASUS Maximus Hero VIII (Bios 1701)
CPU: i7-6700K @4Ghz
Cooler: Noctua NH-12US
RAM: G.Skill RipJaws V @ 2133mhz
GPU: GTX 1070 Strix
PSU: EVGA P2 850W
SSD: Samsung EVO 850 250GB
HHD: WD Blue 1TB
Optical Drive: ASUS BT
CASE: Corsair 760T V2

I hope to solve this issue - Thanks!

UPDATE 1: I updated the mobo to BIOS 2202 and still have the issue on cold boots 😕

I have noticed that cold boot issue too! Sometimes (not always ) when you completely turn off the Power from Psu and from the Power Socket on the first Start the System hangs during Windows Post...

Stukow wrote:
I have noticed that cold boot issue too! Sometimes (not always ) when you completely turn off the Power from PSU and from the Power Socket on the first Start the System hangs during Windows Post...

In my case, when I turn on the PSU, the start button on mobo is lit and ROG sign on heatsink is lit! To boot the system I have to hold down the power button for 20 seconds or so and then press it once again and it boots successfully with no issues!
The Cold boot issue only happens if I turn off the PSU or unplug the machine.

Please note, warm boots, resets and booting from sleep is perfectly fine (Just a touch of the power button), it is only when I unplug the system and cold boot it!

Please advise as this has me puzzled! Could it be a PSU issue? Rail glitch?

I was having exactly the same issue. Machine ran just fine but once I pulled the PSU, re-plugged it, my PC wouldn't turn on anymore. In addition, if I could get it to boot then BIOS date/time were off (displayed the time I unplugged power) and my settings were gone and I had to do them all again - once booted, the machine was stable and had no crashes or anything of that sort. Thought it was an issue with the CMOS battery, so I replaced it with a new reputable one. Frankly, it didn't solve the issue. At some point the issue disappeared, time passed and I had forgotten about it already, until last week, one morning my PC didn't boot immediately. Note: I didn't unplug the PSU and there were no power drops. I can press the power button on the motherboard and it will take anywhere from 5-50 seconds for the computer recognize it. This morning, the PC wouldn't start at all so I got tired of waiting and decided to take it to parts and put it back together - no luck at first, but eventually I got it to boot. I'm so sick of this motherboard. I'm running BIOS version 1202 x64 and am looking to update it to a more recent version. 1902 seems to be stable for most people, so I guess I'll try that and report back. I know I'm shooting in the dark, but perhaps someone more knowledgeable can confirm whether it may have something to do with the room temperature?
Intel i7 6700K @ 4GHz (stock)
ASUS Maximus VIII Hero
Noctua NH-D15
G.Skill Ripjaws @ 3200MHz 32GB
ASUS GTX 980 Ti Matrix Platinum
Samsung 950 PRO 512GB m.2
Cooler Master V1000
Windows 10 Pro x64

mario_letta wrote:
I was having exactly the same issue. Machine ran just fine but once I pulled the PSU, re-plugged it, my PC wouldn't turn on anymore. In addition, if I could get it to boot then BIOS date/time were off (displayed the time I unplugged power) and my settings were gone and I had to do them all again - once booted, the machine was stable and had no crashes or anything of that sort. Thought it was an issue with the CMOS battery, so I replaced it with a new reputable one. Frankly, it didn't solve the issue. At some point the issue disappeared, time passed and I had forgotten about it already, until last week, one morning my PC didn't boot immediately. Note: I didn't unplug the PSU and there were no power drops. I can press the power button on the motherboard and it will take anywhere from 5-50 seconds for the computer recognize it. This morning, the PC wouldn't start at all so I got tired of waiting and decided to take it to parts and put it back together - no luck at first, but eventually I got it to boot. I'm so sick of this motherboard. I'm running BIOS version 1202 x64 and am looking to update it to a more recent version. 1902 seems to be stable for most people, so I guess I'll try that and report back. I know I'm shooting in the dark, but perhaps someone more knowledgeable can confirm whether it may have something to do with the room temperature?

First: When PSU unplugged and then plugged, and turn the computer on, it's quite normal that it will take longer to boot and quite normal when nothing happens for about 5-10 seconds on a cold boot. It will boot for sure, just wait 5-10 seconds. What do you expect? 1 second - 3 seconds? Buy a rocket.
Second: your room temps have no influence on how fast it boots....NOTHING!

NemesisChild
Level 12
Do you get a normal cold boot if you don't unplug the PSU?
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

NemesisChild wrote:
Do you get a normal cold boot if you don't unplug the PSU?

No, this is it - it used to do this only when I unplugged the PSU, but now it doesn't matter if I leave it plugged in or not - PC just won't turn on. Last night I installed a new CMOS battery and updated BIOS to 1902. When it does turn on, it runs smoothly and no issues whatsoever. Ok, it is the next morning and my computer won't turn on at all. Pressed "start" button, went and ate some breakfast, came back an hour later and no change. MOBO lights are active and indicate that it is getting power but pressing the "start" button does nothing - no fans come on, no nothing. Need help. The motherboard itself is on a box, don't think it has anything to do with shorting the pins. Let me know if you need any information. Thanks.

UPDATE: after 2 hours of unplugging-plugging, I managed to get it to boot finally! So I've determined that it might have something to do with the graphics card. Without the GPU installed, my computer can boot successfully even after unplugging and plugging the PSU.

What I've tried:

0) clearing CMOS (over and over again);

1) different power sockets (of the same type) on PSU;

2) running two seperate 6+2pin cables;

3) running a single 2x 6+2pin cable (default);*
4) installed GPU to another PCI slot;

What worked for me and I don't recommend this to anyone (only at your own risk): right after having cold booted succesfully, shut down the machine, kept PSU plugged in and installed the GPU, hit "start" and voila, the system booted. Seems to be running stable for the past 30 minutes, I'll do some gaming on it and report back tomorrow whether it boots or not, though I highly doubt it fixed anything.*
ASUS Maximus VIII Hero
Noctua NH-D15
Cooler Master V1000
Windows 10 Pro x64

I have troubleshooted everything (different CMOS battery, PSU, Ram, No Rams, No GPU,, minimal build, outside of the case build, BIOS flash) and nothing. Lost sleep over this as I put in a lot of money into this PC.

Came to a conclusion it is the motherboard. I went out and purchased another z170 mobo and plugged everything in and it works perfectly fine.
Its the HERO VIII Mobo, could be a capacitor issue.

Asus quality control? Never again. Their hardware is as bad as their software! RMAing this!

Extremely disappointed as it was my first build and really had a bad experience! I am advising all my friends to stay away from ASUS.

I will have a very negative review up on Amazon as soon as I RMA this junk!

Apologies on the negative reply. I am just very frustrated

Sorry to hear that. I'm in the same boat as you but as money is tight I can't really justify spending another 250 euros for a board that might or may not work.*

In my last reply I promised to write back whether it fixed my issue and the short answer is it did not. In addition to what I described in my last post, I've tried removing RAM and just booting with one stick installed at once with all 4 sticks. Every evening I spend somewhat 15-90 minutes to get my PC booting so I can play a couple of matches. Why won't it post/boot normally? Funny thing is - if it boots, then the computer runs extremely well.*I'm really frustrated!

Off-topic: I've lost my faith in ASUS and probably will never ever buy anything from that brand - my 980 Ti had coil whine OOB, motherboard didn't work properly from day 1. Having paid premium price I expect premium experience - reading reviews on what other people have said, it is just sad that they can't handle QC. Go figure.
ASUS Maximus VIII Hero
Noctua NH-D15
Cooler Master V1000
Windows 10 Pro x64

mario_letta wrote:
Sorry to hear that. I'm in the same boat as you but as money is tight I can't really justify spending another 250 euros for a board that might or may not work.*

In my last reply I promised to write back whether it fixed my issue and the short answer is it did not. In addition to what I described in my last post, I've tried removing RAM and just booting with one stick installed at once with all 4 sticks. Every evening I spend somewhat 15-90 minutes to get my PC booting so I can play a couple of matches. Why won't it post/boot normally? Funny thing is - if it boots, then the computer runs extremely well.*I'm really frustrated!

Off-topic: I've lost my faith in ASUS and probably will never ever buy anything from that brand - my 980 Ti had coil whine OOB, motherboard didn't work properly from day 1. Having paid premium price I expect premium experience - reading reviews on what other people have said, it is just sad that they can't handle QC. Go figure.

I really hope you get this sorted, I know exactly how you feel. RMA it and explain your issue. Since I have purchased another board, as soon as I get a fresh one from ASUS RMA I will sell it. no use now since i purchased another mobo.

You are right. I am staying away from ASUS going forward. More annoyed that I have an ASUS strix 1070, no issues but knowing I bought it from them just conjures doubts and possible future issues.