cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xeon e5-2658 v3 support? Or 4th slot with 5820k

Registrar
Level 7
Hello everybody 🙂
As per the title, I'd like to know if the standard RVE (no usb 3.1, no v10) could work with this particular processor since I can afford a very good deal for it.
I'm currenty running a 5820k, but since my applications shifted from CPU computing to GPU acceleration, I find the 28 lanes are a limiting factor (4th slot disabled).
I don't do much overclock anymore, but the RVE remains a very robust board with lots of options. The only other possibility was the X99-E WS at the time, since the previous GA-X99-UD7 died on me.
Thruth be told, although the Xeon e5-2658 v3 comes so cheap I'd need to buy 2 to make the cost of a RVE or WS, I don't really need it. I'd just need to enable the 4th PCI-Ex slot so that the last card could fit. OK, let's concede the dramatic 12c 24t effect in Task Manager would be a nice view.
I don't need Quad CF or quad card SLI: I'm going to do renders, so the PCI-Ex bandwidth will not need to be 8x. 8x8x8x4x will be good to go.

So again:

Xeon e5-2658 v3: Will it blend work?
or
Is there any way to switch the last 4 lanes of the 5820k from the empty M.2 slot to the last PCI-Ex slot?

EDIT: I know the Xeon I want is not on the supported CPU list. That's why I'm asking. I also know that the manual states the last 4 lanes are bound to the M.2 slot using the 5820k, but with all the BIOS updates that may no longer be true.
2 REPLIES 2

Chino
Level 15
It would probably work but certain features might be disabled though since the RVE isn't a workstation motherboard. The E5-2658 v3 has 40 PCIe lanes so you shouldn't run into problems with PCIe allocation.

Thanks.
While I was at it, I searched the BIOS for the M.2/PCI-Ex switching option, but with the 5820k it doesn't even show.
I tried a little test and moved my 2nd GPU to the bottom red slot, but the PC couldn't detect it.
I'm not really interested in exotic features like ECC (except for VT-d and VT-x, but those are supported), so that's not much of a problem.