cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z170 Sabertooth DIMM slot issues [RMA wanted]

b0gd4n
Level 7
Hi all.

I've decided to clean my system loop and after the whole process, I reassembled it and I started getting boot error with post code 0055.
I have a EK CPU and RAM block in my loop, and I did not remove the RAM block when did the cleaning procedure.

I then emptied the loop again, removed all blocks and installed an air cooler on my CPU and started testing each RAM stick in each DIMM slot.

I noticed that the black coloured slots (DIMM_A1 & DIMM_B1) have some serious issues: installing the same ram stick in either one of these will (in 2 out of 3 cases) result in a Memory detect error (post code 0041).
Moving the exact same memory stick to either one of the beige slots (DIMM_A2 or DIMM_B2) posted perfectly fine, every time.

If I jiggle the memory stick in the defective black slots (A1 or B1), the PC sometimes starts fine - no memory detect error - but as soon as I try to install the EK block on top, I move the mem sticks a bit and it's back to square one.

I also tried re-sitting the CPU twice (6700K), tried applying all sorts of different pressures on the cooler - same result.

I think that the DIMM_A1 and DIMM_B1 slots are defective in some way.

I purhcased all my parts about 10 months ago from Scan.co.uk and would like to RMA the mobo.

Now, I am not sure what the procedure is. I've checked the Asus RMA MB website, but it states:
To be eligible for the Pick-Up and Return (PUR) service in selected European countries, sign up for an ASUS VIP membership 
and upload your purchase invoice within one month of purchase (dated on or after 1 Jan 2014) at http://www.asus.com/support/

which I obviusly did not do.

Should I contact Scan with this? Or do I need to get in touch with Asus?
10 REPLIES 10

Nate152
Hi b0gd4n

It should be under warranty with the store you got it from then Asus has their three year warranty.

Check with the store you bought it from and go from there.

It does seem like there is an issue with the ram slots, bent cpu socket pins can cause this and an over tightened cooler can sometimes put uneven pressure on the socket but if you checked these and all looks good I would suspect the motherboard if wiggling the ram sticks gets it to sometimes work.

If there is any physical damage to the ram slots or cpu socket Asus will likely void the warranty.

To avoid the hassle you could just use a 2x8GB or 2x16GB kit in slots A2-B2 and call it a day. 🙂

Let us know what Scan.co.uk tells you.

b0gd4n
Level 7
So, I've sent the MoBo to Scan, aaaaand they've rejected the RMA.

Here's what they've said:

There is some thermal paste in the bottom edge of the CPU socket and also approx 4 slightly bent pins near the top of the socket. Photos on the RMA. Rejected due to physical damage

I agree on the paste, but that's not physical damage - it's non-conductive and it's an insignificant amount.
The pins are not really bent - they're just slightly offset. The CPU works perfectly fine!
They've also attached a few photos (below).

Anyways, reading on numerous forum posts - I'm not gonna even try and debate their idiotic decision.
They gave me an option to pay £25 and have it sent to Asus. Here's what they're saying:

This is to confirm that the recent return of your goods has resulted in one or more items being deemed warranty void due to physical damage.

As such Scan Computers cannot take any further direct action in providing a replacement or repaired unit at this time. Normal procedures would leave us with no alternative but to return your goods and take no further action.

However, as a company with a high priority in Customer Service it has been agreed with a line manager to return the item directly to the relevant manufacturer / supplier on your behalf.

In doing so we have to make clear this is NOT an acceptance of fault or guarantee that we will be successful in obtaining a replacement or repaired unit for you, we will try our best for you, acting above and beyond our normal operating procedures, we will do this as quickly and as swiftly as we possibly can, however, no timeframe can be guaranteed.

In order for us to action this process a service charge of £25+vat must be made to Scan, this charge is levied towards the costs we will incur in processing the above for you. There may be further charges from the manufacturer / supplier which we cannot advise at this stage, if any additional fee is applicable you will be advised of this before the manufacturer / supplier proceeds.

Should I go ahead with this. I'm affraid that if I sign, I agree on the fact that the warranty is void. Wouldn't this mean that Asus will charge me to fix it?

Nate152
Thank you

Yes they will charge you to replace the cpu socket and will cost about $150.00 u.s. dollars, you'll have to make the call on getting it repaired or buying a new motherboard.

Since there are only 4 offset cpu socket pins you can straighten them with a wooden toothpick in good light with a magnifying glass which is what I would do, a good eye and a steady hand are key.

Nate152 wrote:
Thank you

Yes they will charge you to replace the cpu socket and will cost about $150.00 u.s. dollars, you'll have to make the call on getting it repaired or buying a new motherboard.

Since there are only 4 offset cpu socket pins you can straighten them with a wooden toothpick in good light with a magnifying glass which is what I would do, a good eye and a steady hand are key.

damn - that's steep!

I think i'll just ask them to send it back then.

b0gd4n
Level 7
So, would Asus make the same conclusion?

how can the warranty be void just because there's a insignificant amount of non-conduction paste and a few VERY slightly misaligned pins..

Nate152

Nate152 wrote:
Asus will void the warranty because of user error.

great...there goes that 5yr tuf warranty.

Nate152
So I see four options for you.

1) Just use Dimm slots A2 and B2
2) Straighten the socket pins yourself
3) Pay to have the the cpu socket replaced
4) Buy a new motherboard

Nate152 wrote:
So I see four options for you.

1) Just use Dimm slots A2 and B2
2) Straighten the socket pins yourself
3) Pay to have the the cpu socket replaced
4) Buy a new motherboard

1 - hell no - got 4 sticks of ram
2 - will do that
3 - will resort to this if 2 fails
4 - or to this if I can find the board cheap somewhere (it's actually now £20 more expensive than when I bought it 10 months ago - go Brexit!)