Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by miguel pereira View Post
    Skylake CPUs are only supported from ThrottleStop 8.2 forward. Just Download the latest from here:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thre...-guide.531329/

Settings I reccomend:

FIVR BUTTON:

-CPU CORE:
    Unlock adjustable Voltage
    Adaptive
    First slider - all to the left until Default shows
    Second Slider - Undervolt (try -100mV)

- CPU Chache
    Exactly the same as CPU CORE

Check the "Save Options to INI when ThrottleStop exits"

TPL BUTTON:
    Speed Shift Tecnology enable
    Enable Speed Shift when TS Starts

After this just try higher or lower Undervolting settings. If something goes wrong just reduce the amount. Most Skylake CPU can go -150mV and more. But it depends.
    Try it!

Check everything with HWInfo64 and see how the voltages on the CPU change.
    Use MAX Performance on the Power settings.
    Just tried it and so far max temp while playing crysis 3 is 96 deg, average 82. It only went up to 90deg+ after about 35min of gameplay but even after 1hr average temp is 84deg. Had to set it to -150 since -100 only drop the temp a few deg.
    I havent tried video encoding yet and not sure how to really test it but will try as soon as I have something to encode. A few Questions though, will the settings I did with Throttlestop stick i mean I dont have to change it everytime I start Windows 10? I have a dual OS setup Win7 and Win10 do I need to set it up also on Win7?
    Anyway I will be using this setting for now and see if I notice any problems but so far Im glad that temps dont reach 100 degrees celsius easy within 10min of gameplay.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Those temps are still on the high side, but I guess they are passable. At least the cpu is not throttling. Eventually you should think about a repaste job, but these laptops are a nightmare to dissasemble, and warranty is voided, so I guess only after warranty period.
    At any rate, I guess you could also decrease a bit the multipliers on the cpu.
    Your CPU is a i7-6700hq, right? Default multipliers are:
    1 active core - 3500ghz
    2-3 active cores - 3300ghz
    4 active cores - 3100ghz

You could leave 1 active core @3500 (this will keep maximum performance in most things in windows) and decrease a bit the others. In the FIVR you can do this on the left side.

About keeping settings. Yes, ThrottleStop keeps settings if windows didn't crashed. Thats why I told you to check the "Sabe options to INI on exit". There is a guide to make TS start automaticly with windows. You can try it, but windows 10 is hard to do. I just keep a shortcut to TS on the desktop and click on it when windows start. In TS Options you can choose to start minimized.
    On windows 7 I think you have to install it also, since this changes are not @ a bios/Uefi level.
    Using TS also gives the benefit to have a longer battery life.
    Last edited by miguel pereira; 10-13-2016 at 05:44 PM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Those temps are still on the high side, but I guess they are passable. At least the cpu is not throttling. Eventually you should think about a repaste job, but these laptops are a nightmare to dissasemble, and warranty is voided, so I guess only after warranty period.
    At any rate, I guess you could also decrease a bit the multipliers on the cpu.
    Your CPU is a i7-6700hq, right? Default multipliers are:
    1 active core - 3500ghz
    2-3 active cores - 3300ghz
    4 active cores - 3100ghz

You could leave 1 active core @3500 (this will keep maximum performance in most things in windows) and decrease a bit the others. In the FIVR you can do this on the left side.

About keeping settings. Yes, ThrottleStop keeps settings if windows didn't crashed. Thats why I told you to check the "Sabe options to INI on exit". There is a guide to make TS start automaticly with windows. You can try it, but windows 10 is hard to do. I just keep a shortcut to TS on the desktop and click on it when windows start. In TS Options you can choose to start minimized.
    On windows 7 I think you have to install it also, since this changes are not @ a bios/Uefi level.
    Using TS also gives the benefit to have a longer battery life.
    To keep things the same I decided to just use the power profiles with Balanced using only 99% of the processor to keep things cool anyway my games on Win7 still work great even without using boost clock. For Win10 probably the same as I tend to reinstall OS once or twice a year. Win10 that came with my laptop had too much garbage in it that at default power consumption was 25-28W with Win10 reinstalled and only drivers installed its now 19-22W even now after installing my programs and games. I dont use the laptop out much its mostly at home to replace my old i7-2600 desktop.
    I will still keep using this TS settings until I find it not good enough. I forgot how long the warranty of my laptop is but its most likely 1yr so warranty will be gone on December 25 if im not mistaken. Will then consider replacing its thermal paste if I can find good ones probably have to buy it online since I rarely find good ones locally.

ROG Enthusiast Array

So I've actually been running my G752VT set to 99% max CPU state with turbo disabled for months now after initially posting about this quick fix for all the people that have high temps.

To the guy who commented "So you buy these high-performance laptop and then castrate its ability to use the power? " - yes I know it seems a bit stupid but some of us are not as lucky as you are and might either:

have VT/TL lower spec'ed units and NOT the VY/VS which has the vapor chamber cooling. (damn Asus with their false advertising)
    OR
    have a unit where Asus F'ed up the paste job (and I do have to admit I am not gonna risk disassembling it until my warranty expires)
    OR
    be just really unlucky at the silicon lottery and got bad i7 binning
    OR
    live near the equator and not be able to afford 24/7 air conditioning
    OR
    be stupid enough to drop the laptop and maybe the heatpipes are misaligned now
    OR
    all of the above - which is basically me.

But to put things in perspective here is a quick rundown of a test done with GTAV on various settings doing the same exact test. Obviously turning off turbo will result in a max cpu rate of 2.5 Ghz and 25X multiplier vs the 3.5Ghz, 35X multiplier.

CPU max set to 100% with gaming center profile set to extreme, no undervolt = 103°C
    CPU max set to 100% with gaming center profile set to standard, no undervolt = 101°C
    CPU max set to 100% with gaming center uninstalled, no undervolt = 100°C
    CPU max set to 99%, no undervolt = max temp 85°C, .971V
    CPU max set to 100%, with XTU undervolt -150mv = 89°C
    CPU max set to 99%, with XTU undervolt -150mv = 78°C

So in conclusion... yes undervolt seems to be the best solution as it offers no compromise and mostly okay temps but if temps still seem to high
    then we really just need to live with a capped machine in order to prevent the expensive thing from blowing after a few months of use.
    One issue I do have with XTU though is after undervolting then doing a restart the undervolt doesnt seem to apply at startup anymore even though when launching XTU it does say -150mv however HWinfo logs show 1.2V. I'd have to set it back to 0 then -150mv to get a reading of .993V.

I'll try throttle stop and see how that fares.

EDIT - after uninstalling gaming center I tried to reboot/shutdown my -155mv undervolt now applies at start up. Seems that you guys were right to remove gaming center. I hesitated to remove that since the ROG key is now useless and I cant do the FN+PGUP to max out fans during gameplay.
    However this outweighs the hassle of having to set the undervolt each time I log on since I take my laptop to work each day. So I'm now happy with running at 100% CPU with -155mv undervolt. -160mv results in a BSOD. With 87°C max temp playing GTA V at 75fps.

Hopefully by the time my warranty expires someone makes a very detailed post on how to disassemble the G752 and I can do the repaste.
    Last edited by gtan777x; 10-21-2016 at 07:02 AM.

ROG Member Array

@Ancients

So you buy these high-performance laptop and then castrate its ability to use the power? Why spend so much in such a laptop then?
    Obviously if you stop the turbo option it'll have ok temperatures, but a 2.6Ghz CPU is "slow", especially in rendering and high-fps gaming. Why do that?

Undervolting is a better option, since it keeps all the performance and produces less heat. I'm with my i7-6820HK @3.8ghz and my temperatures dont go above 85ºC. If I dont Oc and keep it @3.6 the temps dont even go above 80ºC.
    Asus uses absurd Overvolting in these laptops, and I don't really know why. But its easy to correct.
    Hi, I assume you've used throttlestop? I just did a 10 minute witcher 3 test, where cpu temp was hitting 97-100 C. Any suggestion wll be great!

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by AsusYoyo View Post
    Hi, I assume you've used throttlestop? I just did a 10 minute witcher 3 test, where cpu temp was hitting 97-100 C. Any suggestion wll be great!
    Just read the whole topic, I've posted a guide to throttlestop. I use it everyday.

Enviado do meu MHA-L29 através de Tapatalk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3