cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751JY questions about a setting regarding the monitor refresh rate

TheKnight
Level 7
Hello. I recently found out the "Create custom resolution" option in the NVIDIA control panel. When I clicked it, it gave me a warning and what it said in a nutshell was: "If you use this setting, since you go above what the manufacturer had planned for this monitor you may cause your monitor to have increased voltage, failure in sync, corrupt the BIOS, have high temperatures etc". I'm not interested in using 2K or 4K resolutions as that would destroy my frames ( and this monitor is a 1080p native so I don't think it can go more than that ) but I am interested in using a 120-140Hz ( whatever>60 Hz at least ) refresh rate. How safe is this? Which setting is safe ( if it's any safe at all )? It also wrote that this voids my warranty thus I would not like my monitor to be destroyed or malfunction. I'd like to mention that I play intense games such as Rainbow Six: Siege, GTA V, ( the upcoming ) Battlefield 1 etc. and I put the settings as high as my PC can have more than at least 40 FPS ( please note that this model doesn't have G-SYNC installed ). Thank you for your time. 🙂
14 REPLIES 14

TheKnight
Level 7
bump
Anyone pls?

I'm using it in my G752VS for 100hz. Factory it was 75hz.

It depends on the panel. Some cannot go higher then 62-63hz, some can go 30% higher. Its trial and error. Go up till it shows image problems and test frame skipping in this website:
http://www.testufo.com/#test=frameskipping

If it gives problems at 100hz, for exemple, dial it down to 90hz and you're good to go. Something like that. Not all panels are born the same.

What is your panel model, can you tell me on HWInfo64?

TheKnight
Level 7
What I found in HWinfo64 is the following:
-Monitor Name: LG Philips [Unknown Model: LGD046C]
-Monitor Name (Manuf): LG Display LP173WF4-SPD1
-Serial Number: Unknown
-Monitor Hardware ID: Monitor\LGD046C
-Date Of Manufacture: Week: 0, Year: 2014

Its a similar panel to mine. mine is LP173WF4-spf3. Mine is 75hz from factory, and they are known to OC quite well.

Try to make it 80 or 90hz and use that website I told you. If you don't exagerate its not dangerous. This panel is used in lots of laptops, and there are lots that are OC'd for years. Just dont push it too much.

Rares95
Level 8
I have my G751JT's display OC'd at 75Hz. Anything above 80Hz seems to be unstable for me, though you might be luckier.

TheKnight
Level 7
Ok so, I first raised it to 75Hz and it was fine. Then I went 80 and then 100Hz. When I clicked to test the 100Hz, the screen flickered ( as it should ) but I saw quite a lot pink vertical lines and then when the screen turned on again it said that the test was successful. Then I clicked save, the screen flickered once more but no pink lines this time, just the normal blackness. I thought that was the limit so I went to 80Hz but the same thing happened, then I went to 75Hz again. Pink lines still there as before so I though since it does it everywhere it should be ok maybe? And now I'm at 100Hz. I'm not going to try to go more than that ( I'm even lucky to be here so let's not be greedy ) but what do these pink lines mean? Are they normal, are they bad, should I lower my Hz? How do I know when to stop adding and start removing? I also ran the test and I had no frame skipping at 100Hz.

TheKnight
Level 7
Update: I played GTA V, Insurgency, AC Unity and Rainbow Six: Siege for almost an hour each and it was working like a charm. The only thing that worried me is that when launching or exiting a game my screen would either flick for a second or while flicking instead of being black it got swarmed by pink vertical lines that filled up almost the entire screen and then worked properly. Should I be worried about this or is it normal?

I dont really know the answer to that. I dont get lines in mine, just flicker. Does that happen at 60hz? Do you have the latest nvidia drivers?

Try to ask in NoteBookReview forum, maybe there someone knows if your pushing it or not.

Hi all! I bought the Acer GN246HL 144hz gaming monitor. I'm not sure what my best option is to be able to output 144hz using my G751. I also have the option of returning it for a refund and buying a different one within the same price range. After tax I spent about 209 on the monitor. I bought a mini displayport to hdmi/vga/dvi adapter thinking it would transfer the 144hz from the provided DVI DL cable that was with the monitor but seems as if adapters don't work in this way. Do I just need to buy a new monitor again that HAS a mini displayport input on the monitor? All mine has is DVI, and HDMI. But as you know, the G751 does not have a DVI input, therefore I can't get my 144hz 😞

That being said, I am running a custom resolution pushing 85hz through hdmi. It's not bad, nicer than 60 and noticeably better than the G751's 75hz G Sync screen. All in all, I really wanna keep the monitor I have but if returning and exchanging is my best bet, then so be it! Thanks in advance for all the input.
"I've always thought to myself, at what point did I come into consciousness? When did I start the act of "remembering?" Am I even really alive? Is death real in the sense that I cease to exist?"

I also love PC gaming and learning about graphics technologies.