MotherboardFormula VI
    Processori7 4770K
    Memory (part number)Dominator DDR 3 1600mhz
    Graphics Card #1Strix 1070
    Sound CardX-FI Titanium HD
    MonitorBenQ XL2720Z
    CPU CoolerH100i V2
    Case760T Corsair

Just sent mine RMA too... NewEgg Canada are top sellers here and should replace my card as I was having the exact same problem as most of the people here in this thread... ! Mine was 2 of the 3 fans were spinning crazy randomly, sometimes will not even shut off until reboot... did everything suggest here with no luck.... right now waiting for my OC version to be sent back... finger crossed I will get a Samsung memory one... !!!! if still faulty, I will switch to another brand...

sorry for my bad English

ROG Member Array

Schulstra terracin

PCPartPicker part list: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/JcJdJV

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler
    Motherboard: Asus Z170 PRO GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
    Memory: Kingston FURY 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory
    Storage: Samsung 830 Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card
    Case: Fractal Design Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
    Power Supply: Corsair 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit
    Monitor: Acer XB241H bmipr 24.0" 1920x1080 144Hz Monitor

**Describe your problem. List any error messages and symptoms. Be descriptive.**

The fans stop when they get below the temperature threshold. This is fine.
    The fans start when they get above the temperature threshold (although it seems the middle fan turns slower than the other two). This is also fine.

The problem is the transition from start to stop, when the temperature lingers just at that threshold, then the fans turn off and on +20 times for 2secs. The hysteresis doesn't work properly. Combine that problem with games or tasks that doesn't push the GPU to its fullest (such as Rocket League, YouTube or movies) which means the temperature lingers around 50 degrees, then the fans turn off and on again indefinitely, to great annoyance. See screenshots.

I have attached screenshots show the problem in action.

Video of the problem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V06qf4urA8o

**List anything you've done in attempt to diagnose or fix the problem.**

I have tried:
    • Uninstalling the GPU in device manager and reinstalling with default driver settings.
    • Installed GU Tweak, I could use both Gaming and Silent fan profiles ok, but the 2sec burst was still there, only difference was now it turned on and off again at a higher temperature. (uninstalled again, since it made no difference, see screenshot).
    • Installed MSI afterburner (uninstalled again, since it made no difference)

**Provide any additional details you wish below.**

This is a link to dxdiag: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byc...ew?usp=sharing
    Miniatura de Adjuntos Miniatura de Adjuntos only nvidia drivers.jpg  

gu tweak gaming mode.jpg  

gu tweak silent mode.jpg  

Last edited by MassMan1; 02-01-2017 at 04:17 PM. Reason: added video of the problem

ROG Member Array

Is that common issue?

Hi everyone!

That is realy interesting discussion. Does that 'fan problem' so common among ASUS STRIX GTX 1070/1080 owners? I considered to buy Strix 1070-O8G (already waiting for purchase - ), but after I found that thread I've got some doubts about choice I made. I've lurked internet and found out that a lot of Strix 10XX users face problem of "crazy fan" when one, two or all three fans driving on maximum speed not depending of real GPU load:

Threads on 'Tom's Harware': 1,2
    'Reddit': 1,2
    'Nvidia forum': 1
    also there were similar threads on Russian hardware forums.

I'm bit scared of buying defected card, mostly because warranty in Russia aren't provided very well (as Brainstom previously mentioned). So there is realy big chance that I won't get RMA if that fan issue will occure.

On the other hand I'm confused how could that be that such a big and well respected company as ASUS Tech produce such low quality production while most of hardware editions give very positive reviews on 1070 O8G card. Something is realy wrong in that situation. I just do not want to 'stay out in the cold' in result.

Are there any statistics about that fan issues?
    Last edited by kvizerad; 02-03-2017 at 07:34 PM.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by SimDuch View Post
    Just sent mine RMA too... NewEgg Canada are top sellers here and should replace my card as I was having the exact same problem as most of the people here in this thread... ! Mine was 2 of the 3 fans were spinning crazy randomly, sometimes will not even shut off until reboot... did everything suggest here with no luck.... right now waiting for my OC version to be sent back... finger crossed I will get a Samsung memory one... !!!! if still faulty, I will switch to another brand...

sorry for my bad English
    just wanted to add to this I had the same problem. Returned it to Amazon and the replacement works fine. There seems to be additional protective shrink around the wires leading to the fans on the replacement. I believe the 0rpm is due to the first fan not running and this is the only fan with an rpm sensor. Since it's not working for whatever defect, it shows 0rpm.

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array panzlock PC Specs
    panzlock PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)ASUS X553M, ASUS Zenpad 10 Z300M, ASUS X542BA-DH99, ASUS ROG Strix G15 G513QM-AB91-CA
    MotherboardASUS P8Z68-V LX, ASUS Z170-A, ASUS ROG Strix B350-F Gaming
    ProcessorIntel i5-2500K, Intel i7-6700K, AMD Ryzen R7 1700
    Memory (part number)8GB Kingston 1333MhzDDR3 C9, 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3000Mhz DDR4 C16, 16GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200Mhz C16
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GTX 560Ti, ASUS ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1070 O8G OC, Sapphire Nitro+ RX Vega 56
    Monitor32" Samsung 1080p C32F391FWN, 32" ASUS 1440p VA32AQ, 32" Samsung Odyssey G5
    Storage #1Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 2.5" SSD, WD Black SN750 NVMe (X2)
    Storage #2Seagate 500GB 7200RPM, WD Blue 3TB - 5400 RPM SATA 6 Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch
    CPU CoolerDeepcool GAMMAXX 300, Deepcool Lucifer V2, Wraith Spire
    CaseAntec Sonata, Deepcool Dukase V1, Deepcool Dukase V3
    Power SupplyATX 650, EVGA SuperNOVA 850 P2 (X2)
    Keyboard MSI Interceptor DS4200, Redragon K555 Indrah (X2)
    Mouse Microsoft 4500, Gamdias Erebos LE, MSI DS 100, Redragon M601Centrophorus, Redragon M612 Predator (X2
    Headset/Speakers Logitech Z313, Logitech Z506 (X2), Corsair Gaming Void RGB Elite
    OS Windows 10 Home X64, Windows 10 Pro X64 (X2)

Quote Originally Posted by kvizerad View Post
    Hi everyone!

That is realy interesting discussion. Does that 'fan problem' so common among ASUS STRIX GTX 1070/1080 owners? I considered to buy Strix 1070-O8G (already waiting for purchase - ), but after I found that thread I've got some doubts about choice I made. I've lurked internet and found out that a lot of Strix 10XX users face problem of "crazy fan" when one, two or all three fans driving on maximum speed not depending of real GPU load:

Threads on 'Tom's Harware': 1,2
    'Reddit': 1,2
    'Nvidia forum': 1
    also there were similar threads on Russian hardware forums.

I'm bit scared of buying defected card, mostly because warranty in Russia aren't provided very well (as Brainstom previously mentioned). So there is realy big chance that I won't get RMA if that fan issue will occure.

On the other hand I'm confused how could that be that such a big and well respected company as ASUS Tech produce such low quality production while most of hardware editions give very positive reviews on 1070 O8G card. Something is realy wrong in that situation. I just do not want to 'stay out in the cold' in result.

Are there any statistics about that fan issues?
    If one does their research they will find that all 1060/1070/1080 OEM's suffer some form of defects. Typically the defects are what you'll find reported on the internet. Praise is difficult to find.

That being said after a month of operation my ROG Strix 1070 is operating as advertised and expected. Should I discover any inconsistencies I will repoirt them at that time.

New ROGer Array Dainisss PC Specs
    Dainisss PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS B85M Gamers
    ProcessorIntel i7 - 4790
    Memory (part number)8GB
    Graphics Card #1ASUS Strix GTX 1070 8GB OC
    OS Win 10 64bit

Hi everyone,
    I'm new here, so sorry if something goes wrong
    I'm also a buyer of Strix 1070 OC version. have own it about 3 weeks ago, and I noticed an issue witch my fan's also. After that I started to find info about it and how I can solve this out. I have read all this post and like I see most of all problems with fan, is that it goes more that it needs, bad noise or something like that. In my case situation is different. The reason is that the middle fan is not starting at all in mostly time. 2 in sides like must start at 60 degrees is starting and everything is ok, but middle one mostly is not starting. Sometimes it start's, for example 2-3 times from 10, together with other two! But mostly like I see, it want's to start with little move's, but it can't. If I'm touching it a little bit and help start to spin, then it goes same good and quiet like other two. I was trying msi burner, driver reinstall, start without led program and so on, and still same. Even when I was trying to adjust fan spinning manually till 100%, the middle one was not spinning anyway, until I touched it a little bit by finger. After reading these post, I will try to look all cables sharp also, I will check one more time all drivers (main vga updated yesterday with tweak II). I don't know, shall I go to get it back for changing or no? After doing everything what I have read here Today, I will write again later how it goes after all.

p.s. Sorry for my not correct language, I don't use it everyday

ROG Member Array

Just a short update about my 1070-O8G. I've contacted with Russian Asus Office and they made advance and RMA my card. Now I have the same version with Samsung memory and can say that's working way better. For example, memory clock doesn't jump up to 8000 Mhz and working more correctly. That also lead to more correct temperature indicators. This card is working more stable in Windows and during the games.

I read a lot of forums and discovered that currently a lot of manufactures offer graphic cards with the same characteristics and better cooling systems for the better price. Honestly speaking I'm not sure that I will consider Asus as a graphic card manufacturer to buy in the future.

ROG Member Array kvothe06 PC Specs
    kvothe06 PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Strix Z270E
    ProcessorIntel i7 7700K
    Memory (part number)Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3000Mhz
    Graphics Card #1ASUS Strix GTX 1070 O8G
    Storage #1Samsung 850 EVO 500GB
    Storage #2Seagate Barracuda 2TB
    CPU CoolerCryorig H7
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass
    Power SupplyCorsair RM750X
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC68U

Quote Originally Posted by Dainisss View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I'm new here, so sorry if something goes wrong
    I'm also a buyer of Strix 1070 OC version. have own it about 3 weeks ago, and I noticed an issue witch my fan's also. After that I started to find info about it and how I can solve this out. I have read all this post and like I see most of all problems with fan, is that it goes more that it needs, bad noise or something like that. In my case situation is different. The reason is that the middle fan is not starting at all in mostly time. 2 in sides like must start at 60 degrees is starting and everything is ok, but middle one mostly is not starting. Sometimes it start's, for example 2-3 times from 10, together with other two! But mostly like I see, it want's to start with little move's, but it can't. If I'm touching it a little bit and help start to spin, then it goes same good and quiet like other two. I was trying msi burner, driver reinstall, start without led program and so on, and still same. Even when I was trying to adjust fan spinning manually till 100%, the middle one was not spinning anyway, until I touched it a little bit by finger. After reading these post, I will try to look all cables sharp also, I will check one more time all drivers (main vga updated yesterday with tweak II). I don't know, shall I go to get it back for changing or no? After doing everything what I have read here Today, I will write again later how it goes after all.

p.s. Sorry for my not correct language, I don't use it everyday
    Hi everyone,

Sorry to hear about your problems. With regards to the above post by @Dainisss, I have also noticed that my middle fan does not appear to be spinning using the factory defaults on my Strix 1070 O8G. That is, the two outer fans seem to ramp up around 60C, while the middle fan remains idle.

@Nate152, could you shed some light on the default behaviour of this card? How are the three fans supposed to be working out of the box?

Moderator Array Nate152 PC Specs
    Nate152 PC Specs
    MotherboardROG Maximus IX Code
    Processori7-7700k 5.2GHz Delidded
    Memory (part number)16GB G.Skill Trident Z - 3600MHz 15-15-15-30-1T
    Graphics Card #1Titan Xp - EKFC waterblock
    Graphics Card #2Titan Xp
    Sound CardROG SupremeFX 2015
    MonitorHP ZR30w
    Storage #1Toshiba VX500 256GB
    CPU CoolerSwiftech Apogee GTZ
    CaseThermaltake Armor+ VH6000
    Power SupplyPCP&C Turbo Cool 1200w
    Keyboard ROG Falchion NX
    Mouse ROG Spatha X
    Headset ROG Delta S Animate
    Mouse Pad Steelseries Prism XL + ROG Scabbard II
    OS Windows 11 Home
    Accessory #1 Asus optical drive
    Accessory #2 Koolance ERM-2K3U

The fans should be off until the temp hits 60c then all three fans should spin up.

ROG Member Array kvothe06 PC Specs
    kvothe06 PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Strix Z270E
    ProcessorIntel i7 7700K
    Memory (part number)Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3000Mhz
    Graphics Card #1ASUS Strix GTX 1070 O8G
    Storage #1Samsung 850 EVO 500GB
    Storage #2Seagate Barracuda 2TB
    CPU CoolerCryorig H7
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass
    Power SupplyCorsair RM750X
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC68U

Quote Originally Posted by Nate152 View Post
    The fans should be off until the temp hits 60c then all three fans should spin up.
    Thanks for the prompt reply, Nate!

I just got back home now, and noticed my middle fan wasn't actually completely idle. It was sort of twitching, willing to spin but unable to. I took off the side panel, and checked the black connector on the right hand side of the graphics card; I suppose this is the fan connector. I believe it was ever so slightly at an angle, so I gave it a slight nudge to make sure it fits in properly. I also gave all my fans a manual spin to make sure nothing is in their way. Now all three fans appear to be spinning correctly when manually setting the fan speed.

@Dainisss, you might as well make sure your card is seated correctly in the PCI slot, and please make sure the connectors on the right hand side of the GPU are fully connected. Hopefully that will solve your problem as well.

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast