cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strix 1070-O8G fan issues

1070Phill
Level 7
I've contacted support with this issue, hoping to be offered a new card instead of a lengthy RMA process. I honestly believe everyone with these issues should be offered this! The product is defective and easily observable == new card immediately.

As many others I have severe troubles with fans reving randomly or spinning uncontrollably for no reason.

Specs:
Define R5 2x140mm intakes, 1 140mm exhaust
i7 6700k @ stock
Noctua NH-D15 dual 140mm fans
ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming
ASUS Strix 1070-O8G
EVGA SuperNova G2 650
Kingston HyperFuryX 16gb ram
Using newest Geforce drivers: 373.06

The ISSUE:
If i boot windows and browse the internet or youtube videos the 0db fans work flawlessly.

If i start gaming, after a while one (1)(one!) fan will kick on at 100% and try to cool the card, while the other two are completely still. This one fan will report rpm in TweakToolII at 9868rpms (!!??)

If i alt+tab to desktop, the fan will keep spinning sometimes for minutes, sometimes untill i reboot my computer.

Sometimes two fans will rev, between 600ish rpm and 1700ish rpm, and just keep going untill reboot.

I can't set a manual fan speed, the fans will rev between what it think they should and the fan speed i specified, or simply not do anything at all.

1 fan seems completely dead no matter what, I can see it try to move, but rotates back to starting position.

There are NO ISSUES WITH OVERHEATING neither with GPU nor with CPU. CPU reaches 55C at load and GPU at 65C.

What i've tried:
TweakTool II auto/manual/custom fan curve, no avail.
MSI Afterburner auto/manual/custom, no avail
Connected a 3 pin fan to the ext fan headers on the 1070, no avail. This isn't really a solution anyway! The card should just work!!
Wiped drivers with DDU, re installed drivers, reinstalled card.
Set mobo PCIE to 3.0 instead of AUTO.
Case side open and closed.

I hope others who experience this can chime in and hopefully ASUS will take the action needed.

Im extremly disappointed and I absolutely dread the thought of having to go through a lengthy RMA process, I paid a premium 620USD for this product and then I can't even use it properly.
138 REPLIES 138

Cyberhash
Level 7
I have exactly the same problem 😞 . Even if i just have my pc sitting on the desktop , after a few minutes the fans will spin up to a very audible level maybe 50% and stay on constant until reboot. If i launch something very GPU intensive like a game at 1080p, the fans go to 100% and will not go off until the pc is rebooted.

All the temps are great , but every app i use to check the fans always says the fans are at 0rpm. I sold my trusty old MSI gtx 680 , that did get a bit noisy under load, but did actually go silent again after a few seconds of quitting a game. Neither did it get anywhere near as noisy as this STRIX 1070 , that is marketed to be as quiet and cool as possible. Can you let me know how you got on please 🙂

Nate152
Hi guys that's a strange issue you're having. The fans should stay at 0% until the gpu temp hits 60c. Are you using the latest version of GPU Tweak II and do you have any other monitoring programs open while GPU Tweak II is running?

Nate152 wrote:
Hi guys that's a strange issue you're having. The fans should stay at 0% until the gpu temp hits 60c. Are you using the latest version of GPU Tweak II and do you have any other monitoring programs open while GPU Tweak II is running?

Yes using the latest version of Tweak II that was only released yesterday on the Asus support site for the card and not using anything else at the same time. Briefly installed HWmonitor to see if that gave the same readings as Tweak II and it also said the fans were at 0rpm. Have had a browse around other forums and see the problem also arises with some other manufacturers too ... MSI being one of them. Just wonder if they have all sourced their fan controllers/sensors from the same manufacturer and they have been a faulty batch. My card sounds like a vacuum cleaner, and that's not exaggerating.

Just seems too much of a coincidence . https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/954625/geforce-1000-series/msi-gtx-1070-x-problem-with-spee...

Nate152
Hmmmm, have you tried setting a fan curve in GPU tweak II to see if that might help? I have the ROG Strix 1070 and am using the latest version of GPU Tweak II and it's working well here.

Tried setting the fan curve and it makes no difference. There is obviously something at fault with some part of the hardware on the card when it detects all the fans as 0rpm and sounding like an airplane 😛

Nate152
Yeah if it's showing 0 rpm with the fans running something is wrong. I will suggest uninstalling and reinstalling GPU tweak II and see if that fixes the problem. Do you have the latest NVidia driver installed 373.06?

Yes 373.06 installed and have removed Tweak II and tried again already but to no avail. I suspect its a hardware fault though 😞 . Have logged a fault with ASUS support to see what they say. Maybe they did manufacture a batch of cards with a faulty component and they will already be aware of the issue. Have never had dealings with returning an item directly to ASUS, and where i bought the card states that their return/replacement policy with this card is ASUS via them so would probably take longer than dealing with ASUS directly myself.

Nate152
All right, let us know what Asus says. I might be tempted to do a windows reinstall and see if that fixes it before doing an RMA. Sorry to hear you're having troubles with your ROG Strix 1070, once you get a properly working one it's a great overclocker and a great performer. Here is a video of Doom I recorded with Xsplit Gamecaster. You can see the settings at the beginning and the FPS rarely dips below 100 FPS. I hope Asus gets you sorted out and you won't have to do an RMA. The forum is acting funny for me today.

Nate152 wrote:
All right, let us know what Asus says. I might be tempted to do a windows reinstall and see if that fixes it before doing an RMA. Sorry to hear you're having troubles with your ROG Strix 1070, once you get a properly working one it's a great overclocker and a great performer. Here is a video of Doom I recorded with Xsplit Gamecaster. You can see the settings at the beginning and the FPS rarely dips below 100 FPS. I hope Asus gets you sorted out and you won't have to do an RMA. The forum is acting funny for me today.

Looks good 😄