cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boot from USB problem

kaese
Level 10
Hey guys,

I want to boot from an USB device so i created a bootable USB device (FreeDos).
When I select the boot override menu (F8) I see, and chose the respective USB stick from the menu. However always Windows is booted from the M.2 partition immediately.

Unfortunately, there is no error message or anything showing up, so I have no clue what is the reason - what can I do?
Note that I tried two different USB sticks (that are bootable on another machine) and two different USB Ports (X99 and from the additional chip), BIOS is V. 3301.
Are there some safeboot limitations (safeboot is set to "other OS"), does the board not like the two USB sticks...? Whats going on?

By the way this is a general thing I really dislike about this board. It seems to have a own will about the boot devices and feels very smart often changing the boot order. And the worst, rather than showing an error message about the boot device chosen it automatically choses another - and the wrong - one! This already gave me headaches in various situations.

So How can I make the PC boot from USB (and see the error message???)?
5 REPLIES 5

enyceedanny
Level 10
kaese wrote:
Hey guys,

I want to boot from an USB device so i created a bootable USB device (FreeDos).
When I select the boot override menu (F8) I see, and chose the respective USB stick from the menu. However always Windows is booted from the M.2 partition immediately.

Unfortunately, there is no error message or anything showing up, so I have no clue what is the reason - what can I do?
Note that I tried two different USB sticks (that are bootable on another machine) and two different USB Ports (X99 and from the additional chip), BIOS is V. 3301.
Are there some safeboot limitations (safeboot is set to "other OS"), does the board not like the two USB sticks...? Whats going on?

By the way this is a general thing I really dislike about this board. It seems to have a own will about the boot devices and feels very smart often changing the boot order. And the worst, rather than showing an error message about the boot device chosen it automatically choses another - and the wrong - one! This already gave me headaches in various situations.

So How can I make the PC boot from USB (and see the error message???)?

Do you have CSM disabled? If so, do you have the USB device set up as UEFI?
Did you try to go into BIOS -> BOOT -> on the bottom manually override boot to that device?

kaese
Level 10
Thanks enyceedanny the CSM did do the trick! The USB pen drive has FreeDos and apparently has no UEFI drivers.

Still I wonder if there is a way to get to see an error message.

kaese wrote:
Thanks enyceedanny the CSM did do the trick! The USB pen drive has FreeDos and apparently has no UEFI drivers.

Still I wonder if there is a way to get to see an error message.

Glad you sorted things out. 😃

Vlada011
Level 10
Yea, Rampage V Extreme is in shadow of Black Anniversary edition but still is great motherboard.
Only rate of people with random problem is unusually big. Probably because complicated BIOS, many features and because it's first ROG board with DDR4.
With Skylake Extreme situation will be even better. Than people will keep RAM on 3000MHz with C11-C12 and performance of kits will be better and better.