cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G752VY Upgrades

Twrig106
Level 7
Hiyya, im back. And again, going to ask a question thats been asked many times here. I just cant seem to find the answers im looking for, thus my post of this duplicate message.

Im wondering about upgrading my new G752VY toy. (1tb 7200 RPM HDD, 4x 8gb Ram)

Heres a couple of questions for yas. Got em in quotes to separate the questions, in an attempt to make it easier to read.

Solid State Drives:
Im wanting to put 2 SSD's in my toy, with a potential third. 2 in the designated slots, and a third as a replacement to the HDD, as i have noticed mentioned in other posts.

For the 2 designated slot ones, im thinking of a 256 dedicated to my Win 10 OS on its own; 512 for Games. Third will be a 1tb or 2tb for general storage.

What SSD's would be recommended for this? I was looking at the Samsung 950 Pro's; and they look like a bloody sexy beast. However, expensive. Also, too powerful. I dont think id ever use them to their potential, as right now i only play World of Warcraft (1 client), and later on, i may install Battlefield 4, Dues Ex, Mankind Devided. What would be recommended for each with this in mind? Im open to suggestions if theres better set ups. Id prefer cheaper, but i can still easily expand my budget.

Installing said Solid State Drives:
I have no experience whatsoever with the use of a computer Solid State Drive. Never touched a computer with one, let alone seen one. So how would one install it? For the 2 slots, theyre straight forwards, but i mean software side. Also, with replacing the HDD with a SSD, how would i do so? Would i need an adaptor? I have no idea 😛

I dont care much for the "Cloning" business; im perfectly happy with completely removing what OS i have now, and installing it from scratch, if thats easier than this "Cloning" business.

Random Access Memory:
RAM upgrades. Moar RAM. Currently, appears im running 4x 8gb ram, as my 2 "Extra" ram ports are currently filled with 8gb ram ports. What would the recommendation with upgrading my ram to 64gb? Is it safe to pull appart my toy to access the internal ram ports so i can have 4x 16?[

Processor:
This is just a random Shot in the Dark, would anyone recommend "Upgrading" the processor in this computer, or even the graphics card?
6 REPLIES 6

Clintlgm
Level 14
Ok, save yourself a lot of aggravation and just clone or Image your current OS Drive to your new M2 NVME SSD, Macrium Reflect Free has been good to most people. I see some people have had good success with the free Samsung program. With MR you can adjust the sizes of the partitions on the new drive. Do NOT try to clone partitions. Your system is UEFI and all partitions are needed. You can adjust the size of your C:\ drive to fit + or - depending if your going bigger or smaller.

changing the Hard drive for a SATA 2.5 SSD is not different than changing any hard drive take one out put new ssd in.

Samsung my be pricey but there pretty much the best there is. we don't have many issues installing them or them lasting very long.

you don't think you can use the speed of an M.2 PCIE SSD. Then what do you propose to do with even 32 GB of Ram??????

Most likely if you dissemble your notebook with out some expertise you'll have problems and your warranty will be voided

I may be uninformed but I think the CPU and GPU are soldered onto your Motherboard.

M.2 Pcie Samsung 951 or 961 will be slightly cheaper than 950 Pro or 960 Pro, the 951 were stock issue in most of the JY's, Intel SSD have been excellent over the years haven't heard much lately last 3 years or so.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Thanks for the bloody fast answer, i appreciate it.

As i do believe i said earlier, ive never even seen a SSD before, so i dont know about, but ill have a look inside, from the sounds of it, your post as well as others on forum, theres no problem whatsoever with changing this.

What am i to do with even 32 gigs ram? Good question. Im greedy, if i can take it, i want it 🙂

Just a couple of tips off the top of my head.

Use the cloning software. People have had massive headaches with trying to do clean installs. There is a guide though, so I know you'll get there. It's just a long process to get right.

Don't waste your money on RAM and the "storage" SSD. Benchmarks show that with games, there is virtually no difference between 16 GB and 128 GB. If you are doing more productivity work on your laptop, your apps might benefit from it. It's really not easy to get to the internal 2 slots as well. It's been suggested that opening up your laptop that far might void the warranty. Kind of stupid, but I suppose that's why they give you the two accessible slots.

You already have a 1 TB storage drive, so why bother with a SSD? Save that money, and just buy two 512GB NVME sticks. You can put them in RAID 0 and get the most out of your OS and games. I don't know your plans for the storage drive, but using that term "storage" the mechanical drive is just fine for that.

I also don't know 100% for sure, but I'm confident that the CPU and GPU are BGA soldered in and cannot be upgraded. With the exception of a few laptops built to use desktop process, only Clevo laptops have modular parts. And upgrades are still iffy for Clevo's as they don't always support the hardware platform onto the next generation of CPU or GPU.

Buggsy wrote:
Just a couple of tips off the top of my head.

Use the cloning software. People have had massive headaches with trying to do clean installs. There is a guide though, so I know you'll get there. It's just a long process to get right.

Don't waste your money on RAM and the "storage" SSD. Benchmarks show that with games, there is virtually no difference between 16 GB and 128 GB. If you are doing more productivity work on your laptop, your apps might benefit from it. It's really not easy to get to the internal 2 slots as well. It's been suggested that opening up your laptop that far might void the warranty. Kind of stupid, but I suppose that's why they give you the two accessible slots.

You already have a 1 TB storage drive, so why bother with a SSD? Save that money, and just buy two 512GB NVME sticks. You can put them in RAID 0 and get the most out of your OS and games. I don't know your plans for the storage drive, but using that term "storage" the mechanical drive is just fine for that.

I also don't know 100% for sure, but I'm confident that the CPU and GPU are BGA soldered in and cannot be upgraded. With the exception of a few laptops built to use desktop process, only Clevo laptops have modular parts. And upgrades are still iffy for Clevo's as they don't always support the hardware platform onto the next generation of CPU or GPU.

Ok yeah; ill go with the cloning method. Ill find a guide somewhere for this. As for storage, its hard to explain really cause in my head it makes sense. Basically, ill just put movies, music, pictures, and "Weak / Basic" apps on it. Stuff that doesn't need strong speeds. Only reason I was thinking of getting a SSD for this was because I was reading another post on here asking about it, and they said its a "Huge bottleneck" for the computer having the HDD, due to their slow speeds. But, if the slow speeds from the HDD wont affect the speeds of OS and Games running from the SSD's, then I don't see the problem with keeping it; they just weren't clear as to how it affected usage.

Im perfectly happy with my 30mb / s copy and paste speeds across my computer; As long as the OS is actually capable of doing this. God damned Win 10 >: (
If my theory is correct, Windows 10 is a horrible OS. Its completely disgusting. But, if it were to be installed to a SSD, it would be much better than it is currently; due to higher capable speeds. Ill be putting said theory to the test when I get my SSD's 😛

Thanks everyone for your help

how to clone
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Twrig106 wrote:
Ok yeah; ill go with the cloning method. Ill find a guide somewhere for this. As for storage, its hard to explain really cause in my head it makes sense. Basically, ill just put movies, music, pictures, and "Weak / Basic" apps on it. Stuff that doesn't need strong speeds. Only reason I was thinking of getting a SSD for this was because I was reading another post on here asking about it, and they said its a "Huge bottleneck" for the computer having the HDD, due to their slow speeds. But, if the slow speeds from the HDD wont affect the speeds of OS and Games running from the SSD's, then I don't see the problem with keeping it; they just weren't clear as to how it affected usage.

Im perfectly happy with my 30mb / s copy and paste speeds across my computer; As long as the OS is actually capable of doing this. God damned Win 10 >: (
If my theory is correct, Windows 10 is a horrible OS. Its completely disgusting. But, if it were to be installed to a SSD, it would be much better than it is currently; due to higher capable speeds. Ill be putting said theory to the test when I get my SSD's 😛

Thanks everyone for your help

I presently have a Toshiba thnsn5512gpu7 (512 GB NVMe) and a 1 TB HGST spinning disk. The NVMe drive is my C with the OS and games, the HGST is just there to hold files and backups as a D drive. 512 GB is plenty for me. When I finish a game, I ether remove it or use a tool move to the D drive for storage. I did this A LOT more with my old laptop that had a 128 GB SSD and a 1 TB HDD.

Performance is fantastic. I did some benchmarking at first, but I don't recall my numbers. OS loads in seconds, games (other than Watch Dogs for some reason) launch almost instantly... if you get off the HDD and onto a NVMe drive, you won't be disappointed.

Looking at all three SSD options you want to buy, I just thought you could do way better with two NVMe drives in RAID 0, and probably still save money.