cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL502VS Battery drain when gaming (on AC power)

SeaSpray
Level 7
Hi,

I picked up an Asus GL502VS a few days ago and I'm very impressed with the overall system.

One thing that does bother me is the slow battery draw (even on AC power) when the system is used for VR and heavy gaming. With the power adapter plugged in, I'm noticing around 10% battery drain per hour of gameplay.

Is this normal? I would have preferred the power adapter to supply enough power that it wouldn't need to draw the battery down.

SeaSpray
35 REPLIES 35

TheEmpEroRR
Level 7
That is indeed a problem.

Did u turn-off keyboard backlight? Maybe turn down the brightness a little bit since it is a very bright monitor already..

Still sucks tho, I pre-ordered it hope I don't experience the same..
Might return it if it does..

What is your exact model?

Because you pointed this out I started to notice it on my system as well. Of course I'm having all kinds of trouble with my system. Gears just crashed and I looked at
my battery. 91%

I'm starting to really hate this laptop.

Same question for you, what is your exact model number? You're the third or fourth one with the issue, just want to check if it are the same models or not.

GL502VS-DB71

I'm going to turn my system on battery a bit and plug it back in soon and see how it does. I'm taking it back to Fry's tomorrow and seeing what they can do. I spent
getting everything setup and very angry at the problems I've been having. Can't play a game longer than 45 minutes before it crashes, Gsync doesn't seem to work,
5 points of bad screen bleed (only really noticable in dark areas), and now power drain.

http://www.frys.com/product/8958693?source=google&gclid=CMqcgIrQ5c8CFRWVfgodFBAFlA

The maximum power consuming of the laptop is 182W (NBC said), but the adapter is only 180W.

That is the reason why I didn't buy this laptop when Microcenter offer a 300 dollars discount.

Alienware 15 had meet this problem before, and dell offered their customers a free replacement for 240W adapter.

I won't buy this until Asus changes the adapter.

Honestly this is one of the main things holding me back from purchasing this laptop outright. There's nobody I can really talk to about it either as the Asus customer support reps are pretty clueless about the power-drain. The other thing holding me back is there's no good answer as to why the VS models don't support Thunderbolt 3 while the VM models do. It was mentioned by a marketing rep that Thunderbolt 3 was a regional design choice, but when you look at the VS models in other regions, they also lack TB3.

I just bought a GL502VS yesterday and I'm having the same slow battery drain on it. It only happens while under heavy gaming load. I played some World of Warcraft on full max settings for an hour or so and it dropped down to 87% battery.

It really seems the system works perfect in every other way. My last laptop is a 7 year old Asus G73 which is still working (Just getting long in the tooth).

I'm really concerned about the battery draining though. I know in reality, I usually don't play for 10 hours straight but it has been known to happen when the wife lets me...

I'm seriously considering returning to the store today and exchanging this one for a new G752 for an extra $1200. It's bigger and heavier, but I have been carrying the same size machine around for 7 years. Plus the 752 performs better and has stronger cooling. I'm really torn on what to do. I was pretty keen on having a 5 pound computer for a change, and to get a 1070 laptop for the price point of the GL502 is pretty wicked. I just need to know from Asus that this is not a design flaw.

Will the battery keep going down until it's at zero? Will it go down to a certain threshold and then throttle performance? How bad will the performance decrease if so?

Decisions, decisions.

Hey

There is another discussion about this same issue.
I returned mine for a full refund, as this problem is not tolerable...

My battery decreased to 80% after few hours of Overwatch (max settings).
Either throttling, or battery drain are not acceptable in my opinion.

I encourage you to return this unit for a refund an get another laptop

Kaffa wrote:
Hey

There is another discussion about this same issue.
I returned mine for a full refund, as this problem is not tolerable...

My battery decreased to 80% after few hours of Overwatch (max settings).
Either throttling, or battery drain are not acceptable in my opinion.

I encourage you to return this unit for a refund an get another laptop

Thanks for the advice, I did return it today and got a full refund. I'm still sad because I really liked the computer, but as you said, draining the battery to maintain performance is unacceptable for a gaming laptop. If Asus meant to do it, they should have been very clear about it and NOT market it as a true gaming laptop.

I didn't splurge on the G752VS yet... It was just too much money to justify for now. I'm pretty disappointed with Asus right now too. They may have lost me as a loyal customer over this in fact.

Time to start researching the best quality gaming laptops...