cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best R5E BIOS for performance and stability?

DWgia
Level 7
Hi guys! What is the best BIOS for Asus Rampage V Extreme for the best performance and stability?

I just updated from a stable 1701 to 3301 and i got the random reboot problem now (happens once a week). My windows 7 takes a lot longer to boot also. I have no RAID config and no M.2 SSD.

Thanks!!!
CPU: i7 5960x @stock
Mobo: Asus Rampage V Extreme (bios 3301)
RAM: 16gb (4x4) 3000MHz Gskill ripjaws 4 series @ stock
CPU cooler: Corsair H110i GTX
GPU: 2xEVGA Titan X Hybrid (Maxwell)
PSU: EVGA super nova 1600 P2
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
10 REPLIES 10

Techotic
Level 7
For Haswell-E CPU's, 2101.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
The best BIOS for performance and stability is the one that gives you good performance and stability. If you are good on 1701 then stay there!

2101 I would agree was latest for Haswell E...you could try that....though 1701 was just as good for me...

Unless you are having problems or unless some definite new compatibility is mentioned like NVMe etc....don't update...or if you do, be ready to deal with problems should they arise.

Jbonnett
Level 8
Arnie, anything on the latest BIOS? I've not seen any down sides as of yet. 1902 seemed to be my sweet spot for performance, not sure about stability as it was a while back.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
I stuck at 2101 on the RVE with Haswell E...later BIOS started Broadwell E compatibility which I never needed so I played safe and never tried any of the 3xxx series.

I'm on a RV10E now and sticking on 0901...despite newer BIOS claims of faster boot...because I'm stable and I don't need to boot faster...:o

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
I stuck at 2101 on the RVE with Haswell E...later BIOS started Broadwell E compatibility which I never needed so I played safe and never tried any of the 3xxx series.

I'm on a RV10E now and sticking on 0901...despite newer BIOS claims of faster boot...because I'm stable and I don't need to boot faster...:o

Do you recommend getting the RV10E over a RVE? Also I think the RVE boot time is appalling.

Jbonnett wrote:
Do you recommend getting the RV10E over a RVE? Also I think the RVE boot time is appalling.

I wouldn't recommend the RV10E, if you already have a RVE. There is no noticeable performance difference between the two, other than some extra native features.

About the RVE boot time - don't shut it down. Just keep in sleep mode. Instant-on at the click of a button.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
I like the RV10E..I have to say...maybe a slightly refined board...but no, I couldn't say it's a mile ahead of the RVE in any real sense. If money is no object sure, it has some tweaks I think are nice...

I have to say...I turn the board on and walk away to do something else...like make breakfast...30 second boot time is not going to register with me really...:)

OP...sorry for going off topic....any luck flashing back to earlier BIOS?

Vlada011
Level 10
Boot time for RVE is 25-35 seconds, that's not disaster.
I must remember this for 2101 BIOS. If you say he is best for Haswell-EX.
Than I will install him later, for now my RVE serve me nice, if problems show up (I hope not with all my heart) than I will choose RVE10.
I would be much happier with RVE10TH but if RVE serve me well better to think about R6E. Rampage V Edition 10 is board when you build computer for 5 years and
when for long time and when you plan to look motherboard next 5 years, than RVE10TH is best choice. She is like iPhone "S" compare to iPhone.:)
I like these new CORSAIR Dominator Platinum Special Edition but I would freaked if they are not compatible with Skylake-EX, they should be even on QVL list as special kit.
They should be tested by ASUS and for Haswell-EX, Skylake, Kaby Lake and Skylake-EX.
But I don't expect better performance than any DDR4 or maybe even behind GSkill Trident Z except if CORSAIR search for best modules on market.

RVE only confirm that I will buy in future only Rampage motherboards.
Rampage Gene is option as well. I had some problems on beginning, they gone, I hope they will not back.
I think on my place most people would finish with RMA without testing completely and when you back working hardware RMA is usually not working.
I'm glad I find solution and give time to motherboard and I hope she will stay stable with newer BIOS because NVMe.

Matthew_F
Level 7
DWgia wrote:
Hi guys! What is the best BIOS for Asus Rampage V Extreme for the best performance and stability?

I just updated from a stable 1701 to 3301 and i got the random reboot problem now (happens once a week). My windows 7 takes a lot longer to boot also. I have no RAID config and no M.2 SSD.

Thanks!!!

Hi DWgia

Im currently on Bios rev 3402

Im having the same problem your having with reboot problems Can I ask what BIOS rev did you go for and is it Stable ?