cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CPU overheating due to faulty fan/header - no shutdown??

Odaik
Level 7
Hello

I'm currently running an i7 6700K, clocked at 4.4GHz, with an Asus Maximus VIII Hero (CPU cooled by a CM Hyper 212 Evo).

Recently I've had a few incidents with the CPU severely overheating. In all cases the CPU fan stopped completely, and had to be disconnected then reconnected to resume spinning.

Unfortunately during these incidents the CPU core temperatures soared to the upper 90s. Twice it resulted in a crash, the other times I got weird screen corruption instead before I realised what was happening. The package temperature meanwhile got up to an insane maximum of 95C.

The failure of the fan or the header it is connected to aside, how on Earth is it possible for the CPU to be allowed to get to such hot temperatures without the system automatically shutting down?? In every system I've ever built, there has been a CPU shutdown option in the BIOS that where you can configure the CPU package temperature at which the system will automatically power off. However, looking through the VIII Hero UEFI BIOS, I see no such option. Could it really be that in this day and age a premium motherboard does not come with this basic safety feature?

With regards to the actual overheating, how likely is it that there will be damage to the CPU at these temperatures?

Regards

Odai.
3 REPLIES 3

Chino
Level 15
You probably didn't reach the TJ Max that's why it didn't shutdown.

As far as I know, the X99 platform was the first to have an adjustable TJ Max option in the BIOS.

Odaik
Level 7
As I understand it, TJ Max refers to core temperatures. However, on all previous builds I've seen options to shut down the system based on high package temperature. How come this feature is not present on this board (assuming I haven't simply missed it)?

Legolas
Level 9
In BIOS, please make sure you set Q-fan to PWM Mode for 4 pin connector ( CM Hyper 212 Evo). For overclocking, I crank up to RPM 100% and awesome thermal paste for maximum thermal dissipation. You also need to incrase 100% for all the chassis fans as well.
FYI, 4 pin = PWM, 3pin = DC. So, if you have chassis fans with 3 pin connector, it is DC. Hope it helps.
Sincerely,
Legolas