cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VIII Hero Weird Issues (Crashes, BIOS Safe Mode, Turns itself on etc..)

sHAYM4N
Level 7
Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Case
EVGA SuperNova G2 750W '80 Plus Gold' PSU
Asus Maximus Hero VIII
i7 6700k
16GB Corsair Vengeance 3200Mhz DDR4
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980Ti Xtreme
Samsung 500GB 850 EVO SSD

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Hi all

Really hoping someone can help, as I'm pretty much stuck for ideas on this now.

I bought my VIII Hero as part of an OC kit (with a guaranteed overclock of 4.5GHz) I ran the system at stock for a couple of months before applying the settings and ever since have run into issues. This also occured with the default XMP profile applied.

Kit and settings > https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18692676

The settings apply to the 3000MHz RAM that was originally included with the kit, but they since updated the kit to include 3200Mhz (which is what I received). I was advised on OCUK to clock it back down to 3000Mhz and apply the following..
"Set VCCIO to 1.2v, VCCSA to 1.25 and CPU standby to 1v. Reboot and test"
Have done this (No VCCSA in the BIOS but set CPU System Agent Voltage to 1.25 - text then goes purple if that means anything?), but sadly issues still remain.

The system works fine for a while, but after a day or two I will get one of 3 problems or a combination...

1. System makes a quick audible stutter (if listening to music or playing a game) then cuts power then reboots.
2. On a cold boot (or after a crash), the boot may halt at the Safe Mode message on the BIOS, at this point my RAM clocks itself back down to 2133MHz even though all settings are still applied in the BIOS.
Only way I can boost it back up is to set defaults, (or clear cmos) save, reapply, save and reboot.
3. Occasionally after shutdown the PC will boot itself back up a minute or two later.

Other things I have tried...
1. 2x OS Drive reformat and reinstall.
2. Removing the RAM Sticks, blowing on contacts, reseating.
3. Clear CMOS flashed the BIOS twice (to 1902, now 2001)
4. Even bought a new Belkin Power Strip as I was paranoid it could also be surge related.

Only other thing I changed.
Just before the OC I added the Q-Connector for the Front Panel switches, mainly for ease of use (once I realized what it was for), previously had them wired directly to the board. Could this somehow be causing a short - or clutching at straws here?

Any help or ideas greatly appreciated!
6 REPLIES 6

Chino
Level 15
First step is to clear CMOS and test system at stock defaults. If the system is fine, then it's your overclock. If not, then we'll proceed from there.

Chino wrote:
First step is to clear CMOS and test system at stock defaults. If the system is fine, then it's your overclock. If not, then we'll proceed from there.

Thanks Chino. After a Safe Mode message yesterday, I've reset to defaults this morning, and will see how that pans out. I do think it could be RAM related as the error first occurred with defaults and just the XMP profile applied.
The OC does hold after a crash, usually a 50/50 chance after a crash that the RAM clocks itself back down. Will report back at the end of the week, and possibly try another memtest before then too.

Nate152
Hi sHAYM4N

If it's still giving you trouble after enabling XMP try raising these voltages:

CPU VCCIO voltage 1.15v - 1.25v
CPU System Agent Voltage 1.15v - 1.25v

Try both at 1.15v, if still problems try both at 1.20v and up to 1.25v, you can also set the Dram voltage to 1.40v if all else fails.

Let us know if this helps.

Nate152 wrote:
Hi sHAYM4N

If it's still giving you trouble after enabling XMP try raising these voltages:

CPU VCCIO voltage 1.15v - 1.25v
CPU System Agent Voltage 1.15v - 1.25v

Try both at 1.15v, if still problems try both at 1.20v and up to 1.25v, you can also set the Dram voltage to 1.40v if all else fails.

Let us know if this helps.

Cheers! was almost ready to try this out today after a week of stability on stock, but yesterday evening had my first random reboot 😞 I was using both blender and sculptris at the time so was pretty intensive, which is when most of the problems occur (large documents in photoshop etc). Not sure now if it could be hardware related and how I can narrow it down to what bit of kit? Memory, CPU, Mobo?

Incidently the PC restarting itself after shutdown issue think I've managed to nail. Always seems to happen when I've had Plex Media Server running, so guess it's the Roku box waking it up doh!

Just a quick update.

Still was experiencing crashes on BIOS defaults, not as frequent but once or twice a week.

Decided yesterday to try and narrow it down, so have done a bit of maintenance. Switched my rad fans to intake (dropped around 5-10c on idle!) quick air clean, reseated the RAM sticks, removed the Q-Connector and a capture card I was barely using.

Reformatted and installed Windows 10 1607 (was on 1511 previously) flashed bios to latest and all latest drivers installed.

Will keep it at stock for a few weeks then try the overclock again.

Progress (I hope), 10 days or so in and not a single reboot, crash, or bios reset. Have even overclocked again to 4.5Ghz and 1600MHz on the RAM and so far seems stable.

Still no idea what was causing the issue, but suspect the audio drivers or even the Q-Connector. Maybe even Windows 10 1607 fixed it up. Fingers crossed this is my last post anyhow!