Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    ROG Guru: Green Belt Array Dreamonic's Avatar

I'd recommend reading my post here as it should answer your question.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

I'm going to try ThrottleStop just for fun. I do not have the OC edition, and I'm not throttling. I haven't tried anything like Prime95 to force the issue and see my max temps, but playing games like Arkham Knight doesn't even push the CPU to 70 degrees C. I just don't like that my CPU is unnecessarily over-volted.

NEW RECORD

FIRESTRIKE: http://www.3dmark.com/fs/10525437
    3DMARK11: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/11671295
    Miniatura de Adjuntos Miniatura de Adjuntos Capture4.PNG  

Capture5.PNG  

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by miguel pereira View Post
    The OP way is better, but if you dont want to tinker with BIOS you can do like I did. Here is my short guide:

"First you have to unistall Gaming Center. That is a Cancer for this Laptop. A clean windows 10 install is reccomended.

Then you just have to fallow this steps:

Skylake CPUs are only supported from ThrottleStop 8.2 forward. Just Download the latest from here:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thre...-guide.531329/

Settings I recomend:

FIVR BUTTON:

-CPU CORE:
    Unlock adjustable Voltage
    Adaptive
    First slider - all to the left until Default shows
    Second Slider - Undervolt (try -100mV)

- CPU Chache
    Exactly the same as CPU CORE

Check the "Save Options to INI when ThrottleStop exits"

TPL BUTTON:
    Speed Shift Tecnology enable
    Enable Speed Shift when TS Starts

After this just try higher or lower Undervolting settings. If something goes wrong just reduce the amount. Most Skylake CPU can go -150mV and more. But it depends if the are in OC or not and on the CPU itself.
    Try it!

Check everything with HWInfo64 and see how the voltages on the CPU change.
    Use MAX Performance on the Power settings.

NOTES:
    On the FIVR menu you can play with the multipliers on the left side. You can OC or not on demand. Just find whatever you are confortable with. For now I'm with 3.8Ghz, since the temps are fine.
    I just made a shortcut to the ThrottleStop in the desktop. There is a way to make it start auto, but I havent been able to. Not really a problem."

Any of these applies to G752VY ?! Or only VS?

Thanks

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by diogogmaio View Post
    Any of these applies to G752VY ?! Or only VS?

Thanks
    Any CPU that is 4xxx and above should work. OC will only work in unlocked CPU. The settings I posted should work for skylake CPUs (6xxx CPU's). Others shouldnt be that different, but I recommend that you read about it if its not a skylake.

So Yes, it should work on VY.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamonic View Post
    Beast Results!!

Congrats!

ROG Enthusiast Array

dreamsonic and miguel - thanks for all the tips. I've done these steps and have now achieved below 80c temps when playing GTA V or Witcher 3

remove ROG gaming center
    remove intel XTU
    configured throttlestop exactly as you mentioned and had it statup automatically using task scheduler
    installed NBFC and used the voltground config

I only have 1 issue though. I cant seem to make throttlestop minimize to system tray/notification area. it stays in the taskbar.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by Buggsy View Post
    My next thought was to try Intel's XTU. I got around to that today, but it would not install at all. Next is throttle stop, but
    There is a new version of XTU out, 6.2.0.17. This solved my install issues. It's kind of a daunting program with so many options, but I now have access to check / change my voltage settings and maybe thermal settings.

Okay, so here's an update.

I managed to get everything unlocked in XTU (pic below), but CPU temps still kept me from doing any substantial overclocking.

I had uneven core #0 and #2 temps with my 6820HK which was in the ballpark of 20°C apart from core #1 and #3; Really frustrating having to correct this BTW.

So this is what's happening. After I did a repaste after repaste after repaste, temps would drop no more than 15°C apart (at max load). So it would seem with the G752VS and the heatsink assembly used (which is so massive and in one construction again), it is unlikely to rest flat everywhere even with the 3DVC on top. So I would assume whoever has this uneven core temp problem, has a heatsink assembly resting cockeyed. Anyway, I applied some force to the appropriate side of the heatsink assembly, bending it ever so much to make it sit as flat as possible on the CPU die. It fixed the problem!

Now here's the part how you can tell which side of the heatsink assembly needs some bending. In the 6820HK (core layout), core #0 and #2 (if looking at the notebook with the screen open) are located at the rear near the vents, and core #1 and #3 are at the front. So if your uneven temps are core #0 and #2, then it means the heatsink assembly CPU-side portion, is cockeyed to the front (where core #1 and #3 is). I know this because I angled it the opposite way to test for my theory, and sure enough, temps for core #1 and #3 were at 15°C-20°C apart. So, before putting everything back together, do a final test and rest the heatsink assembly against a hard flat surface (at the edge to keep the fin array from lifting it up) and check using finger pressure to see where else you need to make adjustments. It should not pivot like a seesaw!

After doing all of this my temps are now within 5-7°C apart. I definitely say this is worth doing if you have uneven core temps like this. It's worth all the trouble correcting it!

Now to the part that pisses me off.. ASUS! Do they not do any post-assembly testing? Because this should have been caught! It just baffles me the amount of time they put into designing their ROG lineup (especially the notebooks) and making it as user unfriendly-ith as possible (access SOICs for programming for example), let alone to the heatsink assembly. Seriously, get a proper team put together in every manufacturing division around the world and establish a better checklist to handle the ROG notebook lineup. Do the proper post-assembly analysis, make the necessary corrections, THEN send it out into the distribution channel; If the teams involved don't know what to look for, educate them!

In noesis,

I don't have many complaints over ASUS products (with ones I've used anyway), and I understand that there is a percentage of error in product development in the manufacturing process (you can't catch them all), and that yes, I could have returned this system to the retailer I purchased it from and hoped for a better one.. but there's another problem with even that option (BGA being that problem) and I've expressed my viewpoint about it. I like ASUS products. I like their choice of product design, so it seems nit-picking on my part to even bring this up. My system right now is running great (where I'm comfortable with the end result), so as long as I jump the ASUS hoops and know what I do, everything turns out fine? Right...
    Miniatura de Adjuntos Miniatura de Adjuntos Captureeee.PNG  

Shunt mod on G752VS complete.

Highest scores to date!

3DMARK11: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/11748983
    FIRESTRIKE: http://www.3dmark.com/fs/10807724
    Miniatura de Adjuntos Miniatura de Adjuntos 3DM11_19865.PNG  

3DMFS_16552.PNG  

G752VS_1070_PM.jpg  

XTU_MOD.PNG  

Last edited by Dreamonic; 11-18-2016 at 03:11 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast