Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    ROG Member Array

Amazing...
    I take some time to read reviews from people who got this x99 strix and other asus x99.
    On reddit i see people that get RMA for 4 times already.
    In Newsegg 44% of the review are because the board fried the CPU and die in the process, 44%!!!
    Here a lot of people too, even a guy that was making a review of some X99 from Asus have this problem too, and took months to someone tell him what's happen.

I giveup Asus now, i will get a Gigabyte, but really??? No word from Asus about that??? I read the comments that Asus put on the reviews on newsegg, is a joke, always the same, sorry to hear blablablabla check the power blablabla...

ROG Enthusiast Array mulderfox PC Specs
    mulderfox PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)MSI GP62MVR 7RF
    MotherboardAsus Strix x99 Gaming
    ProcessorIntel i7-6850k
    Memory (part number)BLS2K8G4D240FSE
    Graphics Card #1Palit GTX1080 Super Jetstream
    MonitorDell 27" S2716DG
    Storage #1Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD
    Storage #2HGST 10TB HDD, Toshiba 5TB HDD
    CPU CoolerID Cooling Frostflow 240L
    CaseCooler Master
    Power SupplyThermaltake Smart DPS 750W
    Keyboard CoolerMaster Masterkeys M Pro White
    Mouse Logitech G502
    Headset/Speakers Thonet and Vander GRUB 2.1 Speakers
    OS Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

Quote Originally Posted by onmybikedrunk View Post
    So running at 6900k on X99 Strix with a 1.35Vcore at 4.3Ghz and in the middle of playing BF1 it shut down not to ever be turned back on again...

Sorry to necro thread, but this seems like a serious issue. This is my last Asus board. Although, my Deluxe was a heavy hitter before I upgraded. I'm going to EVGA or Gigabyte from here on out.

EDIT: Motherboard is fine. Tried an older (and very trusty) EVGA PSU and it fired right up... Had just bought a new Corsair AX1200i and it was evidently a dud... Just very happy it didn't take out anything else with it. Everything looks to be pretty good.
    Just a note on what you said: I did suspect the PSU, but since after my board was replaced on warranty (thanks to a kind lady at Asus Asia - as usually they send a faulty board to taiwan to be repaired), Everything works fine (knock on wood) - so for me it doesn't seem to be the culprit.. just the Motherboard is. However, I am not planning on any overclocking with this board, since I really rather not risk it.
    Conclusion: Read. A lot. Before you assemble a system - especially about possible issues with any of your chosen components. It might save you plenty of headaches along the way. And Asus do recognize there is an issue - hence the relatively frequent bios updates (just had a look and one was posted just 21 days ago: Version 1504 ; Description STRIX X99 GAMING BIOS 1504 ; 1.Improve system performance ; 2.Add in turn-off function of LED under S3/S4/S5 status. ; 3.Fixed Samsung device (SM961, printer) issues.)
    And, I suspect that Asus will either do a 1.x version of the PCB or try to switch to a new generation.
    One more thing: Have you noticed any issues accessing online bios update from the Bios interface? I cannot seem to be able to connect properly. Wired - no connection, and Wireless - connects but cannot communicate with the update server. Inside windows there are no connection issues.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by mulderfox View Post
    Just a note on what you said: I did suspect the PSU, but since after my board was replaced on warranty (thanks to a kind lady at Asus Asia - as usually they send a faulty board to taiwan to be repaired), Everything works fine (knock on wood) - so for me it doesn't seem to be the culprit.. just the Motherboard is. However, I am not planning on any overclocking with this board, since I really rather not risk it.
    Conclusion: Read. A lot. Before you assemble a system - especially about possible issues with any of your chosen components. It might save you plenty of headaches along the way. And Asus do recognize there is an issue - hence the relatively frequent bios updates (just had a look and one was posted just 21 days ago: Version 1504 ; Description STRIX X99 GAMING BIOS 1504 ; 1.Improve system performance ; 2.Add in turn-off function of LED under S3/S4/S5 status. ; 3.Fixed Samsung device (SM961, printer) issues.)
    And, I suspect that Asus will either do a 1.x version of the PCB or try to switch to a new generation.
    One more thing: Have you noticed any issues accessing online bios update from the Bios interface? I cannot seem to be able to connect properly. Wired - no connection, and Wireless - connects but cannot communicate with the update server. Inside windows there are no connection issues.
    Nice to hear that Asus in Asia is very different that Asus here (i am from Brasil), here they don't even touch the board, we have to deal with the shop only, and the support just suggest stupid things and release no information about problems on that board, i really don't even know why there is a support, for them (here at least) all boards are fine and the user that made something wrong. And the problem is not only on Strix X99, is across all X99 boards... just take a look on newsegg reviews, the only asus board that don't fried the CPU is the Asus X99-E WS, all others have this problem, and is not from now, this is long time, check this
    http://www.legitreviews.com/intel-x9...unknown_150008
    Them look the comments...

So, i send my strix X99 back to the shop, for my luck they don't have any in stock so i will get a refund probably.

Now i just got a gigabyte x99 designare ex, the board are not so fancy like the strix, don't have qcode etc... but i never see a so smooth setup, and have many stuff that are very helpfull in their windows apps, the only real "problem" is the M.2 location, very difficult to acess and do not have a nice air flow.

New ROGer Array

You know what... x99 strix just killed 2 of my 6850k in just 2 months.

1st - CPU fried in 3 weeks. sent it to RMA, got it back in 2 weeks. then less than a week. another one fried again.

the seller saw this post too and recommend me to take A-II instead.

mulderfox PC Specs
    ProcessorIntel i7-6850k
    MonitorDell 27" S2716DG
    CaseCooler Master
    Mouse Logitech G502
    OS Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

Quote Originally Posted by reinerlee View Post
    You know what... x99 strix just killed 2 of my 6850k in just 2 months.

1st - CPU fried in 3 weeks. sent it to RMA, got it back in 2 weeks. then less than a week. another one fried again.

the seller saw this post too and recommend me to take A-II instead.
    Did you get a brand new one in the RMA or a refurbished one? have you done any overclocking whatsoever? which PSU do you use? have you tried replacing it just for testing?

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by mulderfox View Post
    Did you get a brand new one in the RMA or a refurbished one? have you done any overclocking whatsoever? which PSU do you use? have you tried replacing it just for testing?
    Something i don't understand, everyone ask about OC when something goes bad, i don't do OC on my current CPU (6900k), but in my old 4960x i made a nice OC and they keep going for years, stable until today (is my gaming rig). When you check Asus page they put OC abilities as main features, intel charge more for unlocked CPU's, so why all support ask about it?

mulderfox PC Specs
    ProcessorIntel i7-6850k
    MonitorDell 27" S2716DG
    CaseCooler Master
    Mouse Logitech G502
    OS Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by ralfetas View Post
    Something i don't understand, everyone ask about OC when something goes bad, i don't do OC on my current CPU (6900k), but in my old 4960x i made a nice OC and they keep going for years, stable until today (is my gaming rig). When you check Asus page they put OC abilities as main features, intel charge more for unlocked CPU's, so why all support ask about it?
    All support ask about it since it's the immediate suspect, naturally. Pushing your rig to higher voltage and higher temperature - regardless of the marketing hype - can and probably will shorten the rig's life. You're simply going above the factory specs of at least the CPU if not the RAM. And any manufacturer with some common sense would rather find the blame elsewhere rather than fork out money to pay for RMA, or even just repair.
    By the way, I left my PC turned off for 10 days, and when I returned I got a gift - Qcode 40 when I turn the PC on in the morning. After a second reset it boots correctly, but that is not a good sign. Might try a bios update and already contacted my trusty Asus representative.

ROG Member Array daveycracker80 PC Specs
    daveycracker80 PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Acer Aspire Nitro V15
    MotherboardASUS X99 A-II
    ProcessorIntel i7-5820k
    Memory (part number)G Skill Ripjaws 2400mhz
    Graphics Card #1ASUS GTX 1070 Strix OC
    MonitorAOC G2460PF BenQ GL2460
    Storage #1Samsung SSD's
    Storage #2Seagate Barracuda's
    CPU CoolerNZXT X62 Kraken
    CaseNZXT H440
    Power SupplyCorsair RM850
    Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum
    Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
    Headset Sennheiser HD280 Pro HyperX Cloud II
    Mouse Pad SteeleSeries QCK XXL
    Headset/Speakers AverMedia Ballistix Speakers
    OS Windows 10 Pro

When I was trying to decide on what mobo to go with, I was reading the reviews on Micro Center's web site (I tend to take Amazon/Newegg reviews with a grain of salt and I have a Micro Center nearby so that's where I was buying it from anyway), and the X99 Strix reviews were some of the worst on the X99 boards by far. Other boards, the Deluxe-II and A-II in particular, had solid reviews, but the Strix seemed to cause all kinds of problems. I still take reviews with a grain of salt as you're more likely to hear about the problems than successes, but it was enough to steer me towards the A-II.

From reading this thread and others I've seen, staying away from the Strix appears to have been a wise choice.

mulderfox PC Specs
    ProcessorIntel i7-6850k
    MonitorDell 27" S2716DG
    CaseCooler Master
    Mouse Logitech G502
    OS Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

Another update in this un-ending saga:
    Woke up this morning to the PC not booting up, with the Q-Code "bd" - which pointed to a RAM issue (no change was made to the PC since it's been replaced and installed).
    I tried all kind of things, and managed to boot with half of my RAM detected. Of course that won't do, so I started testing slot by slot, and found that two slots would not let me detect any sticks inserted in them (B1, and B2). So for now I can see all four sticks of RAM, but in Triple channel instead of Quad.
    I've informed Asus, and asked to have the board replaced with a different model due to the circumstances being that I've had issues with this model ever since I bought it..
    I'll keep you updated. Any recommendation as to which model to pick - if they'll oblige me?

mulderfox PC Specs
    ProcessorIntel i7-6850k
    MonitorDell 27" S2716DG
    CaseCooler Master
    Mouse Logitech G502
    OS Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

By the way, I went on newegg.com to look at a better candidate and it seems that the strix x99 gaming is not the only x99 motherboard with issues - it's actually a prevalent thing with almost if not all of Asus X99 offerings. So again, is there any recommendation for another asus x99 board that won't give me these issues?
    thanks.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast