Page 58 of 60 FirstFirst ... 8 48 56 57 58 59 60 LastLast
    ROG Member Array

I just finished installing my new trackpad as well. I ended up ordering a second palmrest from Ebay just so I'd have one to practice on before I actually made the switch. Right now I'm using my new (ebay) palmrest along with the new trackpad from Alibaba. Like ryuuoh I also just manually removed the old track pad. It was very hard to remove but once I got it off it seemed the obvious way to go. No heat needed. I grounded it with some aluminum foil, but I didn't have a multi-meter to test the connection, so I'm just hopeful that this works. If that's the case I'll probably do the old palmrest and replace it. This one I'm using was from a G73JH and it's a close fit, it looks exactly right but one of the spacers exerts a little more pressure on the mainboard than I like and all the screws didn't fit.

So far, I'm hopeful that it works. The trackpad feels pretty good so far and it's not freaked out but I've only been using it now for about 15 minutes so the proof will be in the coming days.

Thanks for all the help from everyone. Hopefully we'll have a complete solution once we get this proved.

ROG Member Array

It's been two days of regular use, and the trackpad performs perfectly. I reused all the foils and tapes, and I'm confident I did a better job of it than the factory did. Clearly, this issue is a quality control problem.
    Good luck to all who go this route. It's not very hard to get to the trackpad, just take your time and remember where the short screws go. Once you get the old trackpad started, pry slowly and steadily, supporting the palm rest so as not to crack it.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by ryuuoh View Post
    It's been two days of regular use, and the trackpad performs perfectly. I reused all the foils and tapes, and I'm confident I did a better job of it than the factory did. Clearly, this issue is a quality control problem.
    Good luck to all who go this route. It's not very hard to get to the trackpad, just take your time and remember where the short screws go. Once you get the old trackpad started, pry slowly and steadily, supporting the palm rest so as not to crack it.
    I did the same thing and like you I'm at the end of my second day of heavy use (Autocad can really mess with you if your trackpad is ****ty) and not one giltch. Zero.

I agree on the removal of the trackpad. When I saw the adhesive backing that said 3M I was scared. Those guys at 3M make some good stuff. Super 77 anyone? Don't be nervous. I used the large size in my tiny screwdriver set to wedge underneath the old trackpad and pry it up. Once I got far enough I could get my fingers under it I just pryed it off, stabilizing the palmrest on the workspace I had cleared so as not to bend or crack it. You'll hose your old trackpad, btw, so don't even think of trying to save it (for what, right?) Once I got the old trackpad off I used some adhesive remover on the palmrest to remove the rest of the adhesive that was left behind. From there it's just peel and stick. Make sure you set it the wide way down first so you can line it up with the top of the pad and get it straight and just lay it down slowly so it sits nicely. I put some firm pressure on the bottom of it to make sure it stuck. Careful with those little ribbon cables too. My ebay palmrest came with some bad cables that I didn't notice until after I put it all back together the first time.

One point of note, while I did reuse all the foil and black stuff that came with my new ebay palmrest I chose not to rely on that tape for my ground as most of the adhesive separated from the tape and onto the palmrest where I wouldn't be able to use it. For my ground I used a piece of aluminum foil and taped it down with black electrician's tape to the chassis and to the copper pad on the trackpad. I did not tape down my edges because I felt confident the black sheet an the foil would stick on their own.

Altogether not a fun learning experience but the experience I did get was knowing that these laptops are not all that bad to work on and you shouldn't be afraid of cracking it open and trying some stuff. It's a computer, just like the ones we used to build for ourselves in those big ugly boxes. It even goes together the same way.

Thanks to Brodyboy (if you're still reading) it looks like we have a permanent solution. Order your parts from China, use the guide for disassembling your machine, a little brute force, and tell Asus what you think of their design. They should be ashamed to put such a nice machine out there with such a simpleton design flaw. Only an idiot would design a laptop with a trackpad that fails because of a bad ground. There's an engineer who works there that doesn't deserve a job.

I will report back in a week or two in case anyone is interested.
    Last edited by shadowen2; 06-06-2012 at 04:59 AM.

ROG Member Array

Glad to hear your repair works.
    I just installed the second alibaba trackpad in my original G73 (best buy model that I stuck a 1080 screen in) and it now works as it should. I had tossed out all the tapes and foil, so I bought new materials from Digi-Key and replaced the trackpad. I cut the foil to match the original, and used the metal fabric tape to ground the trackpad, as originally configured.
    I can now take a G73 apart in my sleep~

ROG Member Array

Hi there people! Just to let you know the disclosure of my G73 adventure...
    Almost at the end of the 2 years garranty and after 3 rma attempts, I went to the seller and filled a complain, to return a fauly laptop...
    Finally at the end of a month, I had my money returned!
    With it bought a new G75VW... So recommend everyone on the same situation, to do the same...
    You don't have to keep a faulty computer!!

ROG Member Array

It's been a month since my "I fixed it post" and I'm please to report that it's truly fixed. Not one problem with the trackpad since I made the repair.

ROG Member Array

I just wanted to post yet another update. My replacement trackpad failed about three weeks ago. I replaced it and immediately began having problems with the new touchpad that I installed. I thought maybe there was a problem with the ground on the newly installed touchpad because it would behave fine for the first few minutes of operation and then become progressively more erratic the more I used it. So bought a multimeter and used it to test the continuity between the ground and the touchpad and there was no ground. So i repasted the foil that I used to ground it, tested it again, and found there was good continuity so I put the rig back together and I'm testing now. So far I'm somewhat encouraged, it's been a bit erratic but it seems to be settling down. I'll post further if I continue to have problems.

ROG Member Array

Ok, hope this thread is still active . I have read much of the thread. i know about the foil on the back of the touchpad. heard that removing it may help. where can i buy a brand new touch pad. ? I looked on ebay and all i saw were ones that had the palmrest included ..

ROG Member Array

Here is my history brief

I have disassembled my G73 several times over this issue. Replacing the trackpad doesn't work to improve function. cleaning off the glue as described is the best solution. The supplier of the trackpad doesn't have anymore so I found one on Ebay but only one.
    if you decide to replace yours and I wouldn't, you will have to peel it off as it is glued into the spot. That is #2 reason not to do it. the replacement has glue on it but it isn't worth the effort as it won't make for a normal touchpad.
    I really wanted to solve this problem. I got a Bluetooth Microsoft mouse which works when the trackpad fails. this is Bluetooth without the dongle.
    So to summarize: don't make the effort to replace. If you want to go in their is a youtube video on how to get to it. clean off the glue and replace the tape with something non conductive like electrical tape. It will improve the trackpad but it won't make it normal so best to find a Bluetooth mouse - I went with Microsoft one it doesn't use a dongle and is able to be used on this computer. Good Luck Asus really shafted us on this model and didn't take responsibility.
    I have improved this computer by going to Win 8, adding SSD drive as primary and 500 GB second HD and 32GB ram. Still very good as desktop replacement till long battery life, win 8 touch screen tablet or laptop comes along.

ROG Member Array

thanks Gilbert
    not the best answer but worth a shot. i read one reply that mentioned something about putting an entirely different touchpad from a nother producer such as mac. i doubt that is possible. i am waiting for a reply from brodyboy, he said they were able to buy just the touchpad.
    but i have seen the videos you mention on removing the metal foil. i thought it needed a metal conductive type tape for some reason.
    are you sure that isnt the case?

Page 58 of 60 FirstFirst ... 8 48 56 57 58 59 60 LastLast