cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Request new Bios version for Asus G752VS OC edition

Simao
Level 7
Hi Asus and Asus Workers/moderators on this forum.
Has been in this forum many complaints about the Asus G752VS OC edition. It seems that the overclock version have a bios problem, that are causing overheat and throttling.
In "extreme mode", of the gaming center, while gaming, the temps reach to 95 ºC, and sometimes more, what causes throttling. The problem is being caused by high voltage used on the CPU.
This can also damage the laptop. Some users can "fix" this problem by using "programs" or the bios to solve, but others dont have the "knowledge" to do this.
Trying can corrupt the Bios and all th system. Also, after that they will lose the warranty, because changes on the system and in the bios.
It seems that the problem can be solved by an "undervolt" in the CPU.
What we ask/want, is a new bios version, an update with lower voltage, that can handle the cpu "in extreme mode" with good temps. With a "good undervolta" the system can handle at 75ºC.

How long we will be waiting?
Please take in consideration your clientes and consumers, to improve further the product.

Thanks
20 REPLIES 20

Dreamonic
Level 12
The BIOS isn't the issue Simao, it's the Gaming Center with Turbo Gear that's the issue. The BIOS is fine.

When you change the profiles in the Gaming Center, that's when excessive amount of voltage is applied (1300mV ~ 1400mV+) and OVERRIDES it in the BIOS. Then to address the issue, you either have to change profile back to "Standard" and uninstall the Gaming Center and remove all traces of it completely, or you edit the BIOS and flash it like I did and define your own settings manually. This will prevent thermal throttling as well as TDP throttling as what people have not mentioned about the "Extreme" profile, it does not raise the TDP 45W to 75W that even XTU allows, which is why cuniac had terrible performance with his G752VS under that profile.

EDIT: miguel pereira and I have no problems now regarding temps, using either ThrottleStop or BIOS for it. The Gaming Center cannot be used unless ROGTurboGear_G752VS.xml file is removed before installation (this controls the profiles and functionality). This should allow people to still use the Gaming Center to control the lights and various macros in one utility (haven't fully tested everything there yet).

Also, Sonic Suite 2 can be installed as stand-alone along your Realtek audio drivers without requiring the Gaming Center to be installed.

Hi Dreamsonic - where do I find the ROGTurboGear_G752VS.xml file? I've already uninstalled the ROG gaming center and I'm trying to find all files that could be causing the thermal to go up and mess with the XTU undervolt. I'm running -160mv and HWINFO shows avg CPU VID of .919V and goes up to 1.1V when gaming.

Dreamonic wrote:
The BIOS isn't the issue Simao, it's the Gaming Center with Turbo Gear that's the issue. The BIOS is fine.

When you change the profiles in the Gaming Center, that's when excessive amount of voltage is applied (1300mV ~ 1400mV+) and OVERRIDES it in the BIOS. Then to address the issue, you either have to change profile back to "Standard" and uninstall the Gaming Center and remove all traces of it completely, or you edit the BIOS and flash it like I did and define your own settings manually. This will prevent thermal throttling as well as TDP throttling as what people have not mentioned about the "Extreme" profile, it does not raise the TDP 45W to 75W that even XTU allows, which is why cuniac had terrible performance with his G752VS under that profile.

EDIT: miguel pereira and I have no problems now regarding temps, using either ThrottleStop or BIOS for it. The Gaming Center cannot be used unless ROGTurboGear_G752VS.xml file is removed before installation (this controls the profiles and functionality). This should allow people to still use the Gaming Center to control the lights and various macros in one utility (haven't fully tested everything there yet).

Also, Sonic Suite 2 can be installed as stand-alone along your Realtek audio drivers without requiring the Gaming Center to be installed.

This from Dreamonic, is my advice. Good Luck
G752VSK, G75VW-3D, G51J, G1S
Homebuilt Windows Server

Dreamonic
Level 12
Before you install your ROG Gaming Center, in the setup folder, just remove (or rename) that ROGTurboGear_G752VS.xml file from the Data folder. That's it.

Dreamonic
Level 12
This is using a different version of the ROG Gaming Center with that XML file removed.

Dreamonic wrote:
This is using a different version of the ROG Gaming Center with that XML file removed.

that looks way better than the one I have. Is it a new version? I only have 1.08 from the asus site https://www.asus.com/support/Download/3/833/0/2/ei402mbWHszpHtd9/45/

Simao
Level 7
Dreamonic, so, is just reinstall the gaming center, remove this file, and i will get good temps on the CPU? And, after that, can i control or choose the CPU speed? Thanks

Dreamonic
Level 12
You'll want to load the standard profile first (restart if it asks) and then remove the Gaming Center after it has synced properly with the profile, make sure there are no left over folders or files afterwards. Then make sure to remove that XML file before installing the Gaming Center again. It can then be used for anything else but to OC. After that, install XTU or use ThrottleStop to change everything else for the CPU.

If temps are still high, just run ThrottleStop and in FIVR, just Reset Voltage so it puts it back to Adaptive instead of Static (in case BIOS is still configured to Extreme profile using Override).

That's all there is to it.

Dreamonic wrote:
You'll want to load the standard profile first (restart if it asks) and then remove the Gaming Center after it has synced properly with the profile, make sure there are no left over folders or files afterwards. Then make sure to remove that XML file before installing the Gaming Center again. It can then be used for anything else but to OC. After that, install XTU or use ThrottleStop to change everything else for the CPU.

If temps are still high, just run ThrottleStop and in FIVR, just Reset Voltage so it puts it back to Adaptive instead of Static (in case BIOS is still configured to Extreme profile using Override).

That's all there is to it.

Hello Dreamonic. I am trying to follow your posts and I wonder if I could have your opinion on these issues:

1) I have the G752VM from last week. I did a clean install after some issues and I installed the drivers from the asus website except the ROG utilities. Also I installed the latest driver according to nvidia geforce experience. At this point the fans where switching on and off every two minutes (I think they kick around 45 and my iddle temperatures are around 43-47ºC). In the asus help app they told me to installed the gaming center and the turbo gear updater. Now the situation is better: The temperatures are around the same but less noise. However, the picture you uploaded is a different version than mine. Which one are you using and from where do you download it?

2) I would like to have two profiles: One "quiet" for coding, downloading, watching videos, and one for "gaming". Do you have something for that? would you share its configuration?

3) I would not dare to go more into the bios. But I would like to try the ThrottleStop is there any post already for these laptops?

thanks