cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VIII Ranger won't power off when water pump is connected

zoomsk
Level 7
Hello, recently I build a new computer and everything is working fine except one thing:

When I shut down the computer from Windows, it doesn't power off. Windows shuts down just fine, monitor goes into stand-by, but the computer keeps running (fans are spinning, CPU has the usual idle temperature).

In this state, it is not possible to reset the computer using the reset button, the only thing I can do is to press and hold the power button to turn it off.
I tried many many things I read over the internet, but in the end I found out that this is due to my water cooling pump being connected to the W_PUMP fan header. If I disconnect the pump from W_PUMP header, the computer powers off correctly.

I have the newest BIOS 2202 and so far could not resolve this with any BIOS settings (I even loaded optimized defaults again and re-set everything from scratch). This was happening on a stock system, not overclocked.

My current computer configuration:
Asus Maximus VIII Ranger (BIOS 2202) • Core i7-6700K • 2×8GB G.Skill DDR4 3200MHz CL14 • 512GB Samsung 950 Pro NVMe • Palit GTX 1080 • Custom water loop

As a water pump, I use EKWB D5 [link]. It uses a molex connector for power and only uses W_PUMP fan header on the motherboard for PWM signal and reporting rpm.

Did anyone have a problem like this? Any input appreciated.
Thanks.
4 REPLIES 4

FuryA
Level 8
Have You change another Water Cooler to cross test for this

emsir
Level 8
zoomsk wrote:
Hello, recently I build a new computer and everything is working fine except one thing:

When I shut down the computer from Windows, it doesn't power off. Windows shuts down just fine, monitor goes into stand-by, but the computer keeps running (fans are spinning, CPU has the usual idle temperature).

In this state, it is not possible to reset the computer using the reset button, the only thing I can do is to press and hold the power button to turn it off.
I tried many many things I read over the internet, but in the end I found out that this is due to my water cooling pump being connected to the W_PUMP fan header. If I disconnect the pump from W_PUMP header, the computer powers off correctly.

I have the newest BIOS 2202 and so far could not resolve this with any BIOS settings (I even loaded optimized defaults again and re-set everything from scratch). This was happening on a stock system, not overclocked.

My current computer configuration:
Asus Maximus VIII Ranger (BIOS 2202) • Core i7-6700K • 2×8GB G.Skill DDR4 3200MHz CL14 • 512GB Samsung 950 Pro NVMe • Palit GTX 1080 • Custom water loop

As a water pump, I use EKWB D5 [link]. It uses a molex connector for power and only uses W_PUMP fan header on the motherboard for PWM signal and reporting rpm.

Did anyone have a problem like this? Any input appreciated.
Thanks.

Why do you use the W_pump header if you jut use it for PWM? Have you tried to use one of the FAN_headers and see if the problem goes away. I think your roblem is related to how you connect your waterpump.

Hello, thanks for the answers. I've been a bit busy lately and out of town, but today I gave everything one more try.

To your comments:

FuryA: I do not have any other pump to test, but I don't think it is faulty. The pump is powered directly from the power supply and basically the only thing it sends to motherboard is rpm signal.

emsir: I tried CPU_FAN header too and it helped at first. But few (or just one?) reboots later, computer did not power off too (with water pump connected to CPU_FAN header). Also, I don't think I can connect the water pump wrong. It can be connected to any fan header. Asus just renamed one CHA_FAN or EXT_FAN or CPU_FAN header to W_PUMP, that is all. And why do I want to use this header? Because I want to have a water pump connected to a water pump fan header. Call it OCD or something.

Nevertheless, today I tried older BIOSes - 1504, 1701, 2001 and again the newest 2202. I won't bore you with details, but the outcome is that I am now running one step older BIOS 2001 with exactly the same settings as I used on 2202 and the computer powers off correctly.

Before you say that I might have flashed previous 2202 incorrectly -- I did reflash 2202 twice and initially, it was shutting down correctly. Upon loading old settings or just setting them up manually, the computer ceased to power off. I was not able to determine which settings affect this.

But the problem is the BIOS, not settings. I exported 2001 and 2202 settings (using Ctrl+F2 in O.C. Profiles) and compared these two text files. They were the same except one option that is not available in 2001. But the outcome is, that my computer now powers down correctly.

tl;dr -- BIOS 2001 instead of 2202 fixed the problem.

I'm seeing the same issue since upgrading to the latest BIOS rev. Using Corsair Hydro 100i pump, no problems with previous BIOS versions...

Not sure if its related but when it occasionally does power off correctly the NUM LOCK is off when I restart (despite BIOS setting to turn NUM LOCK on). If I have to force the power off then the NUM LOCK is on. Curious...