cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Guide] G75VW eGPU installation with gtx 750ti

Darkthor
Level 7
Hello everyone.
Since I have a g75vw-t1028D , I have been (for a while now) looking to upgrade the gaming experience of the heavily dated 670mx.
Anyway, i recently bought a BEAST V8 egpu adapter and I'm planning to buy an external gpu when it arrives.
I am planning to use the only pci express port i know of in g75vw egpu the laptop, the wifi card one, but I have a small problem and require your help and input.

Anyone know how fast or slow that port goes? is it a pcie 2 x1 ? pcie 3? x4? x16? I have no clue.
All I can see is that the gpu i have (the 670mx- modded bios for this VX card to work) is in a pcie 3 at x16 , but I cannot tell for the love of god what the wifi pcie speed is in specs.

Anyone tried an eGPU setup? Any remarks?any ideas?

How heavy is the bottleneck?what gpu should i look at?
All input is welcome.
23 REPLIES 23

miguel_pereira
Level 7
eGPU systems are a hit or miss kind of upgrade. Its not that easy to set-up and most of times the are bottlenecked and bugged.

That beeing said, there are a lot of people using it, and its a way to keep old laptops alive. There is a whole section about it in the NBR forums. You'll get more help there, i guess.
Maybe a gtx1060? If it doesnt work properly its an easy sell or you could use it in a desktop config?
I think that this pci-e will be fast enough. Even pcie x4/x8 are not a bottleneck for GPUs, so I dont think that'll be a problem.

The speed *might* be printed on the board under the card. I don't mean to discourage you, but I don't know that it maters. It's really hit or miss since these docks are all sort of "knock offs" of each other. I have seen that some docks only allow x1 and some cap out at x4. Look at your slot on the computer, and look at the dock you bought. If your dock only has that 1 lane, you can really limit your video card purchases.

Gps3dx
Level 12
see this project:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/mantiz-external-graphic-processor-unit#/
Asus G751JT
Samsung EVO 850 120GB + 1TB HDD 7200RPM
Cleaned installed Win 10 HOME
My Guides:

• [POST=538713]ROG LAPTOPS: COMPLETE DRIVER LIST ![/POST]
  • [POST=538713]How to install windows 8/8.1/10 on any UEFI supported laptop the PROPER way[/POST]
  • [POST=538711]HOW TO (EASILY!) UPGRADE FROM WIN7 SP1/8.1 WITHOUT GOING THROUGH THE UPGRADE PROCESS ITSELF ![/POST]
  • [POST=605307]HOW TO REMAP FN+KEY AND SPECIAL BUTTONS: "STEAM", "ROG" & "SHADOWPLAY"[/POST]
  • [POST=539663]Win 10 x64: SETUP USB @SUPERSPEED, NO HANG-UPS! | ACCELERATES USB 3.0/2.0 TRANSFER RATE SPEED TWICE![/POST]

Darkthor
Level 7
well, to be honest, i know it will work...i just want to know if anyone knows what the pcie slot speed is...so i can try and see what loss i am looking at.

i am considering giving it an 950 external (that's all the budget i can push for it) .

anyway, looked at the motherboard....no writing or anything. it just says "WLAN" and that's about it.here is a pic of what it exactly looks like.

Darkthor
Level 7
since this is an interesting thread, i will bump it with the info that aida64 says that the wifi is LUCKILY a 2.0 x1 which means a LOT in terms of bandwdth.
I am eagerly awaiting my eGPU dongle, already purchased a 220 dell DA-2 to power it...and now i got to decide if i will buy a gtx 950 or a 960....and if it will be worth it in the long run.

Oh,and prolly design a case for this.
So far, cost is: egpu-35$ , psu Dell DA-2 220w - 18$.

And 3dm11 score is 2666
I am expecting it to jump at 8000+ with a 950/960.

Darkthor
Level 7
OKAY, LADIES AND GENTLEMEN!

TIME FOR THE BIG SHOW, AND , BOY, DO I HAVE NEWS!

Set stuff up,worked. now I'm gaming Overwatch on Ultra.

But let's start with the basics.

Purchases:
My external beast exp gdc adapter came with his mini pcie jack but there are other thunderbolt,ngff, and pcie, expresscards adapters ( like the AkiTio ) for any type of laptop out there.

So the first thing i did was to buy a power supply for its 8 pin input.

-I opted , due to its 220w input limit, to buy a Dell Da-2 adapter 12v 18a output.
-a gtx 1050ti
-a gtx 750ti (after 1050ti was RMA'd (damn your retarded drivers, nividia !you gave me quite the shock that the gpu was not working! )

FOR GPU's that need more than 220watts:
- get a 450w psu OR MORE. suggest 500w just to be safe
- use the included 20 pin plus 4 pin adapter to connect to the psu (psu should also have a 20 pin and 4 pin)
-the 20 pin is needed only for the green wire, which boots up the psu.it usually is the motherboard connector on desktop pc's
-for auxiliary power port on the gpu use the remaining wires of the psu. ( 6 pin, 8 pin, 6+8 in, or 8 plus 8 pin....depending on your gpu)-make sure it has them
Setup with atx power supply should look like this, combined:

power supply atx ---> 20 pin +4 pin (Y connection) to 8 pin input in Beast
+
power supply atx ---> 6/8/6+8/8+8 pin for auxiliary power port in external GPU

ASUS g75VW mpcie slot runs at pcie speeds of 2.0 x16. GPU-Z confirmed my suspicions.

Preparation:

I carefully removed all the bottom screws, enough to give me access to the wifi card that is below the keyboard.
This step is fidgety.

Careful when lifting the keyboard side, it has a ton of ribbon connections,and you DONT want to pull too hard.
If you do, your risk.
I suggest you drink something beforehand and make sure you have AMPLE time and are IN NO RUSH.
Plug it in,screw it in,and you're good.

Reassemble it in reverse order. There are guides online on how to do that.
Note to self: damn, wish the g75 had this wifi slot (miniPCIE) under its back plate and accessible, not jesus knows where...

WARNING!
Since the beast gpu's miniPcie external cable has a HDMI male jack, and the BEAST has a hdmi female jack...DO NOT plug in your external monitor in the beast!! You might fry the thing!

That port is ONLY for the cable you plug in your wifi card slot.DONT plug anything else in the Beast exp.

Plugged the jack in the exp beast 8.4d , reassembled the laptop.
I INITIALLY bought a 1050ti for black friday and....and I hit a wall.

Latest nividia drivers up from 372.70 are screwed up for the 1000 seris nvidia gpu's .
DO NOT USE ANYTHING NEWER ..for now.

So I'd stay clear of the 1000 series gpu's for now....tho the price is sadly incredible bang for buck.
AMD - tried a r7 360...not even seen. Don't bother with ati gpu's.Trust me.
(i suspect a bios block but....i didnt dig too deep)

After the setup was complete ( https://gyazo.com/cd6579b64df3f76d2732d8ffe5e16131 -ignore the halooween stickers)
-booted windows
-used DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller )utility to uninstall every remenant of the old nvidia drivers
-rebooted
-restarted
-windows 7 64 bit saw the gpu INSTANTLY
-used old 360...something drivers from nividia website (the 750ti is lost and forgotten it seems, but..oh well, the drivers are below the dreaded 372.70, so we're good)
-rebooted
-cpu saw the internal gpu as standard vga adapter...so I installed the 670mx drivers
(i recommend you go Device manager- update driver -BROWSE -LET ME PICK -have disk- browse again- NVAMI.inf (for us asus guys) - select it from the list (it should appear if you downloaded the right driver) -install....confirm.

(note, for anyone using other drivers, this is the inf for your laptop you should look into/modify:

Acer & Gateway = nvaci.inf
Asus = nvami.inf
Apple = nvaoi.inf
Compal = nvcti.inf
Clevo (Sager & other re-brands) = nvcvi.inf
Dell & Alienware = nvdmi.inf
Fujitsu = nvfmi.inf
HP = nvbli.inf
HP = nvhmi.inf
LG = nvloi.inf
Lenovo = nvlti.inf
MSI = nvmii.inf
NEC = nvqni.inf Siemens = nvfui.inf
Sony = nvszci.inf
Toshiba Qosmio = nvtdi.inf
Toshiba = nvtsi.inf )

-reboot again
-fire up a GPU-Z....and see if both cards have clock readings...mine did instantly.
-go to nvidia control panel in start menu...set up stuff you wanna setup.

-ENJOY YOUR NEW eGPU (external GPU).

BENCHMARK TIME!

I am lazy,so I used firestrike.
OLD GPU: 670mx
https://gyazo.com/eed132fab76f18f55ab4e4ad20238e78
new gpu: gtx 750ti compact 60w edition non-oc
https://gyazo.com/eba5b893f5687c7600ec4f9f82afa280

Final words:
It's quite simple plug 'n play for us guys....just be sure you avoid anything higher than the 372.70 nividia drivers. Yes, you will need to unscrew a few screws, and make sure you leave a small cable hanging out of the laptop (if you are using the BEAST EXP gdc thing....It's not perfect setup, but it looks decent.

These are the last drivers that seem to work....ish. I would steer clear of the 1000 series for now alltogether.

HAVE FUN, FRAG STUFF! and if you liked it or it helped you, give a shout. It'll make me feel warm and fuzzy inside 🙂

"ASUS g75VW mpcie slot runs at pcie speeds of 2.0 x16. GPU-Z confirmed my suspicions."

Hello,

You shared some information. What is the source of this information? My model is asus g750js. Does the above information also apply to my laptop? How and where can I learn?

Darkthor
Level 7
*updated for gpu's that require more than 2200w power*

also, there are reports of modded 1000 series Pascal drivers that may work....however current reports say that the current progress is limited,and doesnt offer the gpu's full power...however...for the moment...any progress is progress.

I cant detect my gtx 1070 and i think the problem is i missed one step : i have to enable something in the bios Like UMA or something but i cant find it in asus bios... please save me