cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help for Maximus Ranger VIII + GSkill F4-2400C15D-16GVR

Souma
Level 7
I’ve used the followings RAMs to conduct and conclude the test outcome.
• CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 (Corsair) (listed in QVL)
• F4-2400C15D-16GVR (G.Skill) (not listed in QVL)

I bought the motherboard back in 20 February 2016 and CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 was used to install the computer. However I encountered an issue with the DIMM slots in the course. According to the motherboard user manual page 1-10, if I have 2 sticks of RAM, the recommended memory configurations should be installed in DIMM_A2 and DIMM_B2 slots. Unfortunately to no avail, the computer would not boot up and it displayed code 55, RAM led was lighted.

After hours of trial and error, I’ve gotten the computer to boot up by using DIMM_B1 and DIMM_B2. Naturally in the course of trying to fix it, I did update the BIOS to the latest version available at that point of time. In a nutshell, this should not be the configuration.

Since I’m able to get the system up and running, I let the issue slipped and assumed maybe I gotten a “problematic” RAM.

Lately I’ve decided that 16 Gb isn’t enough and I wanted to upgrade to 32 Gb. This time instead of buying back the same brand (which I assume isn’t so good as it caused the issue mentioned above), I thought why not buy other brand which is slightly cheaper and have equally good reputation in terms of quality product. So I went ahead and purchased F4-2400C15D-16GVR, 4 sticks of it.

To my horror, I was not able to boot up the system after installing all 4 sticks of G.Skill RAMs into all DIMM slots! At that point, I’m pretty sure I’ve updated to the latest BIOS version 2202 and should have fix any know issues by then. It was frustrating.

I’ve gone through the similar trial and error I did back then, and realized that the system was able to boot up using only 2 sticks of G.Skill RAMs on DIMM_B1 and DIMM_B2. If both RAMs were installed base on the recommended configuration, it won’t boot.

Right now I’m on 16 Gb GSkill RAM (2 sticks) and working fine.
28 REPLIES 28

Nate152
Hi Souma

Welcome to the ROG forum.

Did you clear the cmos or reset to defaults after installing your new Ram?

With your ram in slots B1 and B2 it's running in single channel, are you able to use slots A1 and B1?

The symptoms you describe could be from your cpu cooler being over tightened putting uneven pressure on the socket or you could have some bent cpu socket pins, you could check these.

I like the G.Skill ram myself. 🙂

Hi Nate,

As mentioned, I'm unable to get the system to boot up with recommended ram configuration (A1 and B1). I haven't not consider the part that I need to loosen the AIO cooler, as I think that isn't relevant (sorry no offence). And of coz, during the course of trial and error, I did clear CMOS and Memtest.

The pins you meant is the motherboard pins or processor pins?

Nate152
The motherboard cpu socket pins, check them with a magnifying glass in good light. You can post us a screenshot of the cpu socket if you like.

If the cpu socket pins look ok reinstall your cooler just making it snug, do not over tighten.

Hi Nate,

Will take a look when I disassemble the parts, coz I managed to RMA the current board back to the reseller (within warranty). Hopefully it is not the pin issue, else reseller might not take it :eek:

To be frank, I've no clue on how tight is tight for the AIO mounting/cooler...

Nate152
Well generally you can only take the thumb screws so far but snug is a good rule of thumb to go by, if there are any bent cpu socket pins you are correct they will void the warranty.

Let us know what the store tells you.

Hi Nate,

Just curious, is F4-2400C15D-16GVR a plug and play type of RAM? Or it requires some tweaking? I'm new to overclocking 😛

i7-6700K
Ranger VIII
GSkill F4-2400C15D-16GVR x 2 (Total 32Gb, but due to current problem I'm facing, only using 2 sticks RAM now)
Samsung PRO SSD (For applications & OS)
Samsung EVO SSD (Scratch Disk for photoshop)
WD 1TB (Storage)
Corsair AIO liquid cooler
Corsair 650 RMx PSU
Asus STRIX GTX 980

Prior using GSkill RAMs, I was using Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 and all I did was enable XMP, select 3000Mhz and clicked on profile 2 then BOOM! System restarts and showed Overclock 15%. Wow that was easy :cool: Is that the best it can do?

Nate152

32gb (8x4)

Nate152
Thank you,

You might just need to raise some voltages to get your ram stable.

Try this:

1) Add 1 stick in the B1 slot
2) Boot into the bios and enable XMP
3) Scroll down to Dram voltage and enter in 1.40v
4) Scroll down to CPU Vccio voltage and enter in 1.20v
5) Scroll down to CPU System Agent Voltage and enter in 1.20v
6) F10 and Enter to save and exit
7) Boot into windows
😎 Shut down your pc and install all sticks
9) Start your pc and cross your fingers

Any luck ?