cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5-E10 MB with Corsair Dominator Special Edition RAM issues

Brighttail
Level 11
Hey all,

Just got my hands on some of the new RAM from Corsair. The Dominator Platinum Special Edition 4X8 3200Mhz limited to a run of 500.

I installed it and did a quick MEMOK from the MB on it and it booted fine. However within Windows I'm getting various crashes in programs and such.

So I loaded up my MEMTEST program and started it up. There are errors galore. So I started taking out RAM sticks and tested each one individually and each one is giving off errors.

I can't believe that Corsairs most advanced and limited RAM that is supposed to use the best hand selected RAM chips would have FOUR sticks that are putting up errors in the testing.

So I'm assuming that it may be a conflict with the motherboard. So I'm wondering if anyone else is having any issues with this RAM on this board?

I'm hoping it is just a BIOS update that needs to be done to help stability but am trying to cover all my bases.

Any other suggestions of testing or if there is a better, more thorough test I can do that is 'free'?

Btw I have done the following in BIOS:
Changed all the timings to Auto and using only the XMP setting.
Changed the timings to be set at the 14, 16, 16, 36 T2 as it is designed for.
Changed the profile to manual and repeated the above.

Suggestions?
Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator RGB 3200MHz

MSI GTX 1080 TI / 2x Intel 900p / Samsung 970 Pro 512GB

Samsung 850 PRO 512GB / Western Digital Gold 8TB HD

Corsair AX 1200i / Corsair Platinum K95 / Asus Chakram

Acer XB321HK 4k, IPS, G-sync Monitor / Water Cooled / Asus G571JT Laptop
18 REPLIES 18

Chino
Level 15
It's not the motherboard. It's your CPU. Tweak the other IMC and RAM related voltages to stabilize your memory overclock.

Also do your testing at stock speed. If it passes, then it's your overclock. If it doesn't, the stick is defective in which case you can RMA.

Chino wrote:
It's not the motherboard. It's your CPU. Tweak the other IMC and RAM related voltages to stabilize your memory overclock.

Also do your testing at stock speed. If it passes, then it's your overclock. If it doesn't, the stick is defective in which case you can RMA.

I tested it at stock and optimal defaults, zero overclock. I even ran the win 10 memory tester on all four sticks.

I have gotten bad ram sticks in the past but i have never had four from one kit be bad. I'll talk with Corsair about it, but I know some of the newer sticks this Asus
MB has had issues that were resolved with a BIOS update. It even says in the last 1003 "better memory compatibility". I'm on the Corsair forums as well looking to
if anyone else has had an issue with the RAM. So far I haven't found any, but I haven't found any using this motherboard. I will chat with them tomorrow to see
what we can find. Sadly I don't have another x99 I can test them on.
Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator RGB 3200MHz

Brighttail wrote:
I tested it at stock and optimal defaults, zero overclock. I even ran the win 10 memory tester on all four sticks.

I have gotten bad ram sticks in the past but i have never had four from one kit be bad. I'll talk with Corsair about it, but I know some of the newer sticks this Asus
MB has had issues that were resolved with a BIOS update. It even says in the last 1003 "better memory compatibility". I'm on the Corsair forums as well looking to
if anyone else has had an issue with the RAM. So far I haven't found any, but I haven't found any using this motherboard. I will chat with them tomorrow to see
what we can find. Sadly I don't have another x99 I can test them on.

What are your voltages showing up as? CPU, Cache, and system agent?

Menthol
Level 14
When Chino says stock I believe he means test the all default speeds, ram would be 2133mhz stock, XMP speeds is overclocked, Those kits look so nice, voltages to raise or change when overclocking
CPU Vcore
CPU Cache
CPU Input
and for ram Dim voltage AB-CD, and VCCSA, I would up the Dim voltage to 1.38 to 1.4 to test, VCSSA is eextremely important and is different for every setup depending on CPU and memory kit but 1.050 to 1.2 is commonly needed to stabilize ram, and is a trial and errror as to high can be as bad as to low on VCCSA but once you find the right voltages its worth the trrouble
So set all defaults F5 in bios and test your memory for errors then set memory manually to the XMP rated speed, set the first timings manually and voltages manually and test again
Come back and let us know how it goes, I am sure we can get you where you want to be

Brighttail
Level 11
Hey Menthol. Thanks for these suggestions. I went up to 1.38 volts moving everything to default and having my VCCSA at 1.2 (I always have with my overclocks) and got zero errors!

So I think we are on to something. Now I have NEVER moved up my voltage past 1.35. I need to reset my CPU overclock now. How high is safe for the RAM voltage? You said 1.4 so I'll take that as a start.

This RAM should have higher tolerances that most others since the chips are 'hand selected' as the best, so what would be the upper limit you would suggest?

Thanks for your help!

*update* Left all my CPU overclock at auto so no OC. Moved the Ram to XMP and moved it to 3200 and it crashed. Moved the voltage to 1.4v. Crashed. Changed to manual and 3200 with 1.4 v. Memfail.
VCCSA is still at 1.2. Would lowering it do something? I don't want to go further past 1.4v on the ram as that puts me in the 'purple'. The ram runs fine at 2100. This is not fun.

Brighttail
Level 11
Hey Menthol. Thanks for these suggestions. I went up to 1.38 volts moving everything to default and having my VCCSA at 1.2 (I always have with my overclocks) and got zero errors!

So I think we are on to something. Now I have NEVER moved up my voltage past 1.35. I need to reset my CPU overclock now. How high is safe for the RAM voltage? You said 1.4 so I'll take that as a start.

This RAM should have higher tolerances that most others since the chips are 'hand selected' as the best, so what would be the upper limit you would suggest?

Thanks for your help!

*UPDATE* So I ran just 2 sticks at 3200 and ran the tests and was successful. Tried the other 2 and also were successful. Tried all four and got failures. So i'm going to tweak the voltage from 1.38 to 1.40 and see if i can get it stable*

Chino
Level 15

Chino wrote:
Changing the Rampage Tweak option from Auto to Mode 1 helps in some cases.

Never knew that .. i'll give it a go. 32 gb still isn't quite stable but 16 or two sticks is dead stable.

**UPDATE** Not sure what Mode 1 does but it passed two passes on the Windows Memory test with no issues. Tho I did up the voltage to 1.385.

I'll try to do my CPU overclock now and see how it goes. The Corsair tech said no voltage increase should be necessary as their techs took each of these
sticks and tested them extensively and even OC them. I'm thinking more and more it is a compatibility with the Asus Rampage V E 10.

Legolas
Level 9
Please make sure your timing matches exactly to spec: 14-16-16-36 @3200Mhz 1.35V, if not, use 15-15-15-36@2100Mhz with 1.2V. So, when your speed is above 2100, you can try 14-15-15-36
You may have to tweak the timing to have stable Windows.
Sincerely,
Legolas