cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL502VS disappointing performance

s4m1r
Level 7
Hello everyone.

I need other owners to share that experience as I am pretty confused atm. So I grabbed my GL502VS 16GB RAM + 500 SSD version earlier this week, installed 3D Mark benchmark and launched Fire Strike test. I was expecting to get something around 13000 points, but... I've got only 10850!!! I thought it a kind of a bug or something, checked power plan, and ran it several times again, but still the same result.
Just for instance - I have a desktop at home with MSI Gaming GTX 970 overclocked, I7 4700 and 16gb RAM as well which gives me 11300 in the same test. So GL502VS with 10th gen GTX + 6th gen I7 can give lower performance than my old desktop? I've also checked some reviews of desktop version of GTX 1070 where they've also tested it via firestrike and their result was more than 15k. So is the difference between desktop and laptop version that huge? I supposed that since it is not "M" version anymore the performance should be more or less similar.

Please anyone who also having this model - share you Fire Strike results.

Thank you in advance
6 REPLIES 6

lijuncheng
Level 7
Maybe you should turn off the G-sync before testing

lijuncheng wrote:
Maybe you should turn off the G-sync before testing

Through Nvidia control panel? If yes - it didn't affect result in any way.

Well, maybe you're thrrottling.

Can you please post the MAX temperatures the CPU and the GPU get while running firestrike? Use HWInfo64, for exemple.

Whats the GPU on your laptop again? The 1060 or the 1070?

In my G752VS I'm getting 14k result in Firestrike. But only after I undervolted the CPU, because the temps were too high.

miguel pereira wrote:
Well, maybe you're thrrottling.

Can you please post the MAX temperatures the CPU and the GPU get while running firestrike? Use HWInfo64, for exemple.

Whats the GPU on your laptop again? The 1060 or the 1070?

In my G752VS I'm getting 14k result in Firestrike. But only after I undervolted the CPU, because the temps were too high.

Unfortunately I am not able to reach the laptop until the weekend, but as I remember the temperature for GPU at least was totally fine according to RIvaTuner. Wasn't checking CPU tho. It is 1070, and I actually don't get why we have such a huge difference in performance while our hardrware is more or less the same. What do you mean by "undervolting" by the way?

Well, my numbers were low (around 12K) when I first tested, and I found it weird. I went and checked the Temps with HWInfo64 and my CPU was up to 98ºC with a single run of firestrike, ans throttling. GPU was fine with around 77ºC.

It turns out ASUS uses 1,37V on my cpu. This is insane. This kind of voltage is used in theory for extreme OC's. Like 4,5GHz+.

After I used proper voltage on the CPU with ThrottleStop, my temps are great (below 85ºC after 2 hours of witcher 3 on Ultra), and I even have my CPU with 3.8GHz OC.

You can read how to do it here. Its valid for a 6700HQ (not the OC part):

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?88171-G752VT-CPU-temp-reaches-100-degrees-celsius-while-pl...

I guess your case could be even worse since thin laptop use same heatpipes for CPU and GPU.

I forget which 3d mark test it was, but maybe review sites shows a score of 22,000 for it. I ran the same tests and only got 12,000. I was like what the? Then I changed my power settings to max performance and ran the test, I got the 22,000.