cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS-STRIX GTX 1060 - O6G – Gaming Review

meankeys
Level 13

Today I had the opportunity to test drive the ASUS STRIX GTX 1060. This card is the 6 GB Overclocked Gaming edition. ASUS currently produces three flavors of this card. The STRIX GTX 1060 – GTX 1070 and the GTX 1080.
The price to performance ratio is unbeatable as the GTX 1060 has most all the features as the GTX 1070 & 1080.

By default, it runs with a base clock of 1,620MHz and a boost clock of 1,848MHz. However, using Asus's GPU Tweak II software, you can also switch the card from this Gaming Mode to a slightly faster OC Mode, where the clocks are 1,645MHz base and 1,873MHz boost.

This is a 9 percent increase over reference clocks going by the base clock, and is the highest out-of-the-box speed currently available. This is also the mode I have used for testing.

The shroud also sports Asus's Aura RGB lighting system, which you can configure to any color you want and to one of six effects using the dedicated app.

As with the GTX 1070 STRIX, this card uses non-standard outputs. Specifically, Asus swaps one of the three Display Ports for a second HDMI output, the idea being that anyone using a VR headset can also use a HDMI-connected TV without ever having to disconnect one or the other. I thought it was a nice feature. Asus has also upgraded the 6-pin power input of the reference card to an 8-pin one, giving the card a total potential power draw of 225W. Given its 120W TDP rating, this is more than you'll ever need for overclocking.

The gaming system I will be using to test drive the STRIX GTX 1060

• Rampage IV Extreme Black Edition
• I7 3930K
• 16 GB G.Skill Trident X
• Kingston SSD

The games I tested with:

• Battlefield 4
• TitanFall
• Need for Speed (Most wanted)

I will be using my normal gaming setup and I will be comparing the STRIX GTX 1060 to my STRIX GTX 1080 using the same settings.

Three ASUS 24” monitors @ 5760X1080p with high to very high video settings.

One thing I will mention about these cards is they truly are silent running and run much cooler than any of my other graphics cards. (R9 390X – R9 295X2 – 980 Ti). The fans don’t even turn on till about 60c and even then they run at a very low RPM.
First I installed my ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 OC and played each game for about an hour or so taking note of the Graphics card temperature and the FPS.

• Battlefield 4 Card temperature Idle 30c – Load 63C – FPS average 132+
• TitanFall Card temperature Idle 30c – Load 58C– FPS average 146+
• Need for Speed (Most wanted) Card temperature Idle 30c – Load 58C– FPS average 124+

Then I installed the ASUS STRIX GTX 1060 OC and played each game for about an hour or so taking note of the Graphics card temperature and the FPS.

• Battlefield 4 Card temperature Idle 26c – Load 57C– FPS average 122+
• TitanFall Card temperature Idle 26c – Load 41C– FPS average 132+
• Need for Speed (Most wanted) Card temperature Idle 26c – Load 62C– FPS average 112+

As you can see the GTX 1060 faired very well against the GTX 1080. Mileage may vary depending on system configuration. I am very happy with the performance of the STRIX GTX 1060. The games played smooth and fluid. Graphics were clean and sharp. For a tight budgeted build I would recommend the ASUS STRIX GTX 1060. Although priced a bit higher than the competition. The ASUS STRIX cards makes up for the cost with its quality and built in features. If you plan to run SLI at some point you may want to consider the ASUS STRIX GTX 1070 or 1080 as the 1060 does not offer SLI. This card ran very cool and silent. I contribute this to the user defined fan control built in to GPU Tweak II
It is very easy to use. Let’s take a look. Open GPU Tweak II. Go to Professional Mode then Fan Speed. Left Click the little cog to the right of (user define) this will open the User Define Settings.

You can left click any were on the red line and will create a red box marker. If you left click and drag the red box to whatever temp or fan speed you like.

You may select multiple fan speed points to totally customize you gaming performance needs to keep your graphics card cool and quite.

No matter what ASUS product you select you can trust the quality and performance to be there when you need it. In game or out ASUS gets my stamp of approval. Enjoy

Mkeys
10 REPLIES 10

FuryA
Level 8
Thank You for sharing this
Someone may prefer RX 480 is most powerful competitor

meankeys
Level 13
The RX 480 does very well and makes a nice second chose. 🙂

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
1,920 x 1,080, DX11, 'High' settings (HairWorks off), AA on

Bahz
Level 12
Thanks for sharing this, it's very nice to get a good preview on the in-game performance for this card.

meankeys
Level 13
Thanks Bahz

It feels good to give back once in a while. 🙂

Nate152
Hi meankeys

Wow on average in your games you show the ROG Strix 1060 only about 10 FPS slower than the 1080.

Very impressive !

meankeys
Level 13
Hi Nate
That's a bit deceiving as the 1080 clocks much higher. On the lower end they seemed to preform the same.

Hello,
My gpu temp is high because of bad air flow so I wanna add two CM JetFlo 120. Can I plug them in strix's GPU Controlled Fan Headers? Can it give enough power or gpu might face damage because jetflo fan sucks too much power ?

Chino wrote:
What is the amperage for the JetFlo fans?

Current 0.4A Power Consumption 4.8W