ROG Member Array

Question Issue with FTP/SFTP Client, transfer speed capped at 1.3 MB/s

Hi there,

I have an Asus ROG 15.6'' (GL551VW-FW136T) laptop since February and I have a persisting problem regarding Wi-Fi transfer speed using SFTP on various clients such as Filezilla or WinSCP or CyberDuck. I have access to a dedicated server configured by me with a 100 Mbps connection. My home connection is also 100 Mbps and for some reason, whenever I transfer a file to my laptop the speed is always capped at 1.3 MB/s.

If I use other protocols such as standard http, or if I use nvidia GeForce Experience to update my drivers I achieve the full speed my network is capable of. I don't know if this is a limitation of any pre-installed asus software but. Does anyone know anything about this?
    Last edited by DMCecil; 10-22-2016 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Formatting

ROG Guru: White Belt Array DeathtoGnomes PC Specs
    DeathtoGnomes PC Specs
    MotherboardSabertooth 990FX Rev2.0
    ProcessorAMD-9370 @4.4 not OC'd
    Memory (part number)2x8g G.skill
    Graphics Card #1R9280X-DC2T-3GD5
    Sound Cardon-board
    Monitor2x Dell 2440L
    Storage #160SP 240G SSD
    Storage #22TB + 1TB + 1TB platter drives
    CPU CoolerCM Nepton 280L
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Primo w/10 fans
    Power SupplyCorsair HX1000i
    Keyboard Logitech Orion Spark
    Mouse Logitech G700s
    Headset Cool something....
    Mouse Pad Vanguard:SOH image one
    Headset/Speakers Spks: AC43
    OS win10

From what I could find, Filezilla is the problem here, one suggestion say to change the priority to High in windows task manager, but even then the max would be 5Mb/s.

Here take a look at this review for more options. http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-ftp-client.htm

Edit: what you want in an FTP is one that is updated with bug fixes regularly (atleast 2-3 times per year) and that you can still get customer support thru their forums. If you cant, like most open source ones that takes months to get a response from, dont bother with it and find another. There are literally tons of FTP clients around, review sites only pick a few or whatever they are getting paid to do one. Bottom line is this, You get what you pay for, if its for work pay for the damn thing and get a tax write off.
    Last edited by DeathtoGnomes; 10-23-2016 at 01:34 PM.
    SpeedFan controls fans and temps, once you learn how to configure it properly.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by DeathtoGnomes View Post
    From what I could find, Filezilla is the problem here, one suggestion say to change the priority to High in windows task manager, but even then the max would be 5Mb/s.

Here take a look at this review for more options. http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-ftp-client.htm

Edit: what you want in an FTP is one that is updated with bug fixes regularly (atleast 2-3 times per year) and that you can still get customer support thru their forums. If you cant, like most open source ones that takes months to get a response from, dont bother with it and find another. There are literally tons of FTP clients around, review sites only pick a few or whatever they are getting paid to do one. Bottom line is this, You get what you pay for, if its for work pay for the damn thing and get a tax write off.
    Hi there! I don't know if I explained myself correctly but I don't think that the problem is the FTP client because I tried out WinSCP and Cyberduck as alternatives and the speed I achieved was exactly the same. Also the speed cap I achieved was per file, so if I transfered multiple files each one would be able to achieve up to 1.3 MB/s.

DeathtoGnomes PC Specs
    Sound Cardon-board
    Monitor2x Dell 2440L
    Storage #160SP 240G SSD
    CPU CoolerCM Nepton 280L
    Mouse Logitech G700s
    OS win10

Then you you should be going to the clients forums and find out if others have issues too. I dont think its ASUS's fault here. FTP's have always been slow due to several factors, that review shows some of them. I suggest you uninstall all 3 clients and figure out if there is still an issue.

ROG Member Array

Then you you should be going to the clients forums and find out if others have issues too. I dont think its ASUS's fault here. FTP's have always been slow due to several factors, that review shows some of them. I suggest you uninstall all 3 clients and figure out if there is still an issue.
    The fact that several different clients present the exact same behaviour indicates that the problem resides elsewhere, probably in network bandwidth management. The fact that other Windows 10 devices are able to achieve full transfer speed in my home network means that the problem isn't likely to be OS configurations. I suspect the problem relates to Asus' management software such as Asus Gamefirst III or ROG Gaming Center, which include bandwidth management features. However I wasn't able to fix this issue by tweaking software options or by uninstalling it. Regarding the client forums I have already been to them and there are many people with similar problems but the solutions haven't worked at all.
    By uninstalling the clients I lose access to the SFTP protocol so I don't think that's a good idea. I also recognize that there is always the simplest option of formatting the hard drive and installing OEM Windows 10 but the reason I'm posting here is that I'm trying to avoid that.

DeathtoGnomes PC Specs
    Sound Cardon-board
    Monitor2x Dell 2440L
    Storage #160SP 240G SSD
    CPU CoolerCM Nepton 280L
    Mouse Logitech G700s
    OS win10

Try PuTTY and use the telnet client and use the command line to transfer files.

ROG Member Array

Try PuTTY and use the telnet client and use the command line to transfer files.
    Already did using psftp on command line, same limitations apply, 1.3 MB/s or 10 Mbps transfer cap.

DeathtoGnomes PC Specs
    Sound Cardon-board
    Monitor2x Dell 2440L
    Storage #160SP 240G SSD
    CPU CoolerCM Nepton 280L
    Mouse Logitech G700s
    OS win10

I wonder, if you are download from another client, that 1.3Mb/s might be an ISP upload limitation on the other end.

ROG Member Array

I wonder, if you are download from another client, that 1.3Mb/s might be an ISP upload limitation on the other end.
    Well that's a valid question but it's not an ISP limitation on the other end because my dedicated server is hosted in a datacenter and has a 100 Mbps download AND upload link. Using other laptops with Windows 10 I'm able to download easily at 5~7 MB/s so that's not the issue. I've been digging around in the forums and I found some threads stating that some ROG motherboards seem to have this problem as wall, particularly the Maximus series. Using the network monitoring tool in W10 I found out that the cap is hit at exactly 10 Mbps so I'm positive that this is some kind of software/firmware limitation, although I still wasn't able to find the process that is limiting my application bandwidth.