cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPU fans stop responding

RokiTousty
Level 7
Hi,
I recently bought the Strix RX 460 4GB graphics card and have experienced some issues with the fans.
At some point, the fans would just turn off, regardless of the temperature. If I try to override the fan curve and set the fan speed manualy inside the GPU Tweak 2, it doesn't work either. When I hit apply, the percentage resets itself to 0%. However, the only fix to that problem is rebooting my system.
I don't know what is causing this trouble. Could it be other components in my PC? The drivers? Or did I just buy a faulty graphics card?
I updated the AMD drivers and the GPU Tweak 2 utility.
22 REPLIES 22

Nate152
Hi RokiTousty

It's normal for the fans to stay off until the gpu temp hits 60c but it does sound like there's a problem if the fans aren't setting/saving manually. I'm using the latest version of gpu tweak II which is 1.3.9.7 and is working fine for me.

Do you have this version of GPU Tweak II installed?

Yes, that is the version I have installed.
I have attached the printscreen of the GPU Tweak 2, the scale is set to 10s, so there is a chart of the last 30 min.

The curve is set so the fans kick in at 54°C+. As you can see, no fan action for the 30min. The fan curve works well for 10 hrs and then freezes.

Like I said, it is not only the fan curve, I am not able to turn on the fans in any way!

My PC is 4 years old now and here are the specs:
i5-3550 3.3GHz
16GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600 MHz
B75MA-P45
Crucial BX200 SSD

When the fans freeze next time I will also test the external fan header, because I think that one still works when the problem occurres.

Nate152
I''m pretty sure it's the nvidia driver causing it, try nvidia 375.63 and see if that fixes gpu tweak II.

I have never had an nvidia graphics card installed in my system so I don't have any nvidia drivers installed, I don't have nvidia control panel, geforce experience or anything.
However, I did install some nvidia stuff that came with the games, NVIDIA PhysX for example. I don't really know which drivers you are talking about, sorry.

I did install the specified version of GPU tweak 2, as you suggested, uninstalled the AMD driver, reinstalled it ( 16.9.2, Crimson ). The card hasn't been going wild today and it has been 10 hrs+. I will keep the PC running through the night and hopefully I don't wake up to non-responding fans.
It is looking pretty good after all, when I got the card, it wouldn't recognize it as an openGL renderer, now it does.
It wouldn't recognize my graphics card specs inside the GPU Tweak 2 info tab, now it does(The top 6 information were missing before, GPU, Technology, Die Size...)
If the fan problem is gone too now, I will have a fully functional graphics card 🙂

Nate152
My mistake you have the ROG RX 460 so obviously you don't have an nvidia driver.

That sounds better, keep us updated how things are going.

The card has now been running flawlesly for the past 2 days, I hope the problem is gone.
Thank you for all the time you've spent on solving my problem, I believe it was just the drivers.
At the beginning I installed the drivers that were on the CD that came with the card. That was probably a bad decision.
If the problem occurrs again somehow, I will let you know.

I have one last question about the graphics card.
I think the LEDs on the top indicate if the 6-pin power is plugged in or not.
Why won't the white LED go off, when i turn off the PC?
It does bother me a little, because it lights up my room at night (the side panel no longer fits because of the CPU cooler height)

Sorry if my English was bad in my previous replies, its not my native language.

Nate152
The white LED at the top of the gpu let's you know the 6 pin pcie power cable is connected, it's normal for it to stay on after you shut down your pc.

It has been a week without a problem, but today the fans went crazy again.
The curve was set to auto and 0dB was feature was on. When the card got hot enough, the fans started spinning at full speed instead of minimum. When i clicked a few fan buttons inside GPU Tweak 2, the fans stopped spinning and stopped responding to GPU tweak 2 again.

I am wondering if anybody else is having the same problems with their strix RX460.

RokiTousty wrote:
It has been a week without a problem, but today the fans went crazy again.
The curve was set to auto and 0dB was feature was on. When the card got hot enough, the fans started spinning at full speed instead of minimum. When i clicked a few fan buttons inside GPU Tweak 2, the fans stopped spinning and stopped responding to GPU tweak 2 again. I am wondering if anybody else is having the same problems with their strix RX460.

I have a Dual RX480 O4G that came with their latest Firmware that does include the 0dB function, and with AMD driver v16.9.2 installed. It had happen to me twice (while browsing you tubes videos only, not in game strangely), fans went crazy and had to click to position OFF the "0dB Fan" little box, then fans stopped spinning until i reboot and all returned to normal. I guess those cards are new on the market and they need maybe a new Firmware that could improve the support of the 0dB function command. Now i let mostly this function off with GPU Tweak II v 1.3.9.7 because i do not want to ruin the fans. I hope it has really something to do with that, otherwise i have no clue! Somehow you're not alone and hope it will be fixed soon. PS: I'm to default settings...60089
Asus Dual RX480 O4G - Core i5 3570K - P8Z77-V LE PLUS - (still on 2019)