cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Strix RX 460 Overclocking

Nate152
Hello ROG Strix RX 460 owners,

If you'd like to overclock it, in a few easy steps you'll have it running at its maximum performance. First you'll need to install GPU Tweak II from the Asus support center, as of now the latest version is 1.3.9.7

http://www.asus.com/us/Graphics-Cards/ROG-STRIX-RX460-O4G-GAMING/HelpDesk_Download/

We'll use unigine valley to see our performance gain and here's the free download.

https://unigine.com/products/benchmarks/valley/

Open GPU Tweak II and click the gear at the top right in red and under Tuning Settings check "Apply settings each time GPU Tweak II starts", uncheck everything else then click apply and save.

The ROG RX 460 has three modes Silent Mode, Gaming Mode and OC Mode. I'll do the first test in OC Mode then we'll do a test with our overclock.

Silent Mode - 1216MHz
Gaming Mode - 1236mHz
OC Mode - 1256 MHz

The memory runs default at 7000MHz.

Open unigine valley, at the top left click benchmark and let it run to completion, We're running the benchmark at 1920 x 1080 with the highest settings with antialiasing turned off. (See Settings in the benchmark below)

Score in OC Mode, my 6700k is overclocked to 4.75GHz.

Now let's overclock it to the max and see what we get, try these settings they should work pretty well.

Click professional mode at the bottom right and it brings up this below. Under Profiles then under Silent Mode select User Mode 1 which I changed to my name NATE152. Slide the GPU Voltage to 100% and Power Target to 50%, slide the GPU Clock to 1371MHz and slide the Memory Clock to 7791MHz then click apply and save.

Score with our overclock, max temp was a chilly 60c shown in GPU Tweak II.

The ROG Strix RX 460 runs very cool and I doubt you'll need to set a fan curve but if you want to here is how. Under Fan Speed select User Define then click the little gear beside it and it brings up this below, move the boxes to your desired fan speed (left) and temp (bottom) then click save apply and save again.

Here is a little review of what you can expect with games.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?88234-ROG-Strix-RX-460-Review

That's pretty much it, I'd like to see your scores and overclocks to compare with mine, if you have any questions feel free to ask.
14 REPLIES 14

RokiTousty
Level 7
This looks pretty nice.
I've had my Strix RX 460 for a week now and the performance seems fine to me. Altough I am experiencing some fan issues, like some ROGers on the forum with other Strix cards. The fans just stop spinning at some point, regardless of the temperature. Only a reboot fixes the problem.
I've tried MSI afterburner which couldn't access fan speeds either.

Nate152
Hi RokiTousty

I see you started a thread about your fan issue and I responded there.

Have you overclocked your ROG RX 460 ? You should see a nice improvement in your games if you haven't, if you do overclock it please post your gpu tweak II settings and unigine valley score, if you're not sure how to post them on the forum just say so I'll tell you. 🙂

I want to thank you for the information that you provided here. I have been looking for a lot of information on OCing this card with little luck until I came upon this post.

I do know that not every person will get the same result. But this is what I was able to get with a stable result. I had the clock at 1350 but Elite Dangerous crashed with it so I lowered it and seems to be stable now.

It never goes over 60oC with my fan curve.

I currently have
16 gigs of DDR3 RAM with H60 Corsair cooling system in place. Everything stays nice and frosty and my processor stays between 40 and 50. I should add I have a 750W power supply.

It's just a budget machine that allows me to play games and they don't need to be on the highest settings for me to enjoy the game and this is a nice upgrade from my 6870 HD 1gig card.

My question for you is in respect to voltage

When I am gaming I have noticed this number 1287 and even up to 1325 but my temps are fine. I know the 6870HD never even passed 1175 (and it's an older card, so I know that may make a difference).

That being said I am still getting my feet wet on OCing my RX 460 and I get a little shacky with this part as I don't fully understand it.

Will these high numbers (high to me maybe due too my lack of experience) should have me concerned, or does GPU Tweak II offer that layer of protection unless I click on the Overclocking Range Enhancements (which I have NO intention to do so). I just want to squeeze that little extra out of it...and right now I'm getting an extra 11%.

I want to thank you for taking the time to answer me and thank you for the post. I've always sworn by ASUS and AMD and I'm glad there is an RoG site I can come too for help...I found a lot of reviews about the RX 460 but all of them were lazy when it came to the Overclocking information and there isn't a lot of information on this card on Overclocking, other than it doesn't OC well.

Cheers,
Survious

EDIT: I just played some Rocket League and this is what I am speaking of

Nate152
Hi Survious

Welcome to the ROG forum !

I'm glad you like the overclocking guide, I tried to keep it as easy as possible without getting too technical. 🙂

I haven't used the ROG RX 460 much but when I did the overclocking the max voltage I got was 1.287v. Increasing the voltage does create more heat but with Asus's DirectCU II cooling we have nothing to worry about, if your's is going up to 1.325v it's not a problem as the ROG RX 460 runs nice and cool. I'm not sure what the throttling temp is for the ROG RX 460 but you can bet you won't come close to it.

It's perfectly fine to run with 1.325v, your max voltage is showing the same as mine 1.287v.

Nice overclock and thank you for sharing your results, if you have any more questions or concerns please ask.

Edit: After a little research I see the max temp for the ROG RX 460 is 95c.

Nate152 wrote:
Hi Survious

Welcome to the ROG forum !

I'm glad you like the overclocking guide, I tried to keep it as easy as possible without getting too technical. 🙂

I haven't used the ROG RX 460 much but when I did the overclocking the max voltage I got was 1.287v. Increasing the voltage does create more heat but with Asus's DirectCU II cooling we have nothing to worry about, if your's is going up to 1.325v it's not a problem as the ROG RX 460 runs nice and cool. I'm not sure what the throttling temp is for the ROG RX 460 but you can bet you won't come close to it.

It's perfectly fine to run with 1.325v, your max voltage is showing the same as mine 1.287v.

Nice overclock and thank you for sharing your results, if you have any more questions or concerns please ask.

Edit: After a little research I see the max temp for the ROG RX 460 is 95c.

Thank you for your reply...your guide was a great help and it is good too know about the voltage too...Shadow of Mordor brought me to 1.325v so I was getting concerned, but now I am not.

I didn't know about the 95oC cap either, but you are right I'll never reach that. I have really good airflow and I am using this fan curve. I personally like to keep my card under 80oC, but like I have said I have never been over 60oC.

Another thing is the fan is super quiet, even at 100%...and even though it's a "E-Sports" card, it plays GTA V, Elite Dangerous, Battlefield 4 and Skyrim SE (fully modded) very nicely.

Anyway thanks for your reply and giving us a source of information for this card in respect to overclocking...I wish I found this sooner...but better late than never, but I imagine others would really benefit from this post as well. I only found it by limiting my Google search within the time frame by "Month"...I hope at least this is a sticky on the forums.

Cheers,
Survious

During the time of the benchmark, my computer just went black and I heard some bbrbzbrbrzbbzb noise
And I can't go up to 7791 idk why

http://i.imgur.com/qEYjhKq.png

I'll try lowering it

DIdn't crash at 7600 mhz and 1336mhz, but will this cut lifetime of this graphics card and will it last for 4 years at least?

This is the new fan curve I have been using so far and it works great.

I just got Titanfall 2 and I have to say, with the OC, runs really well on this card. I have everything on recommended setting as per the game (all high, textures very high) and running at 1080p with ambient occlusion on.

Anyone who plays Elite Dangerous may have to lower there OC -100/-200 (my settings) as it seems to not agree and crashes sometimes.

Remember that all OC results will vary by computer and not all will have the same result.

Again thank you to the OP to this thread...without him/her (as I never assume) giving me this starting point, I would have never been able to get the awesome results I get, and being on a budget, I couldn't afford a more expensive card.

Cheers,
Survious

Also you can X out of GPU Tweak and keep your settings (found the answer on this forum) and AURA is a great tool too keep an eye on your temps while gaming (the little icon will go from Green, Yellow, to Red on your graphic card). I use it all the time and not once as it gone to red.

Download it here
https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Graphics-Cards/ROG-STRIX-RX460-O4G-GAMING/

Under the support tab.

flik2222 wrote:
DIdn't crash at 7600 mhz and 1336mhz, but will this cut lifetime of this graphics card and will it last for 4 years at least?

From what I have read when it comes to Overclocking, by the time your card craps out it will be time for a new one. I cannot give you a 100% answer, but I think we will be ok.

AMD and ASUS make amazing stuff. But there is always a risk involved too when you overclock as well, but we are pretty safe with the tools that we have been given us. So far I have had no issues...take good care of your hardware and it will take good care of you.

I made sure to hang on too my 6870 as a backup in case something happens...had that thing forever and still works great.. but I am very happy with my RX 460.