cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to do a fresh install, but os disk (ssd) doesn't show up in diskpart - solved

Le_Pei
Level 7
Hi, as title says, I'm trying to do a fresh install of windows 10. The problem occurs during the selecting where I want to install process. My SSD (where the os is currently installed) just won't show up, my HDD however, does show up. I can still boot into my os, but for some reason it's not showing up during the installation process. I tried CMD during the installation, diskpart>list disk, doesn't show it neither. What's wrong? T_T
7 REPLIES 7

mintys1
Level 7
I would advise downloading windows 10 via windows download tool ....
blast away all partitions and format both discs etc..
load up new windows installation and start afresh..
G750 -JHA -32GB -256GB SSD -512GB SAMSUNG 840 PRO SSD
Windows 8.1...Home Ed.
Latest Kit..Sep 2016
G752-VY-32GB- 2 X 256GB SSD'S + 512GB SAMSUNG 840 PRO Windows 10 Home Edition.

mintys1 wrote:

blast away all partitions and format both discs etc..

Isn't that a step you do during the windows installation process? Because it is during that step my SSD doesn't show up in the list so I couldn't format and install the OS there. However, my HDD shows up.

Clintlgm
Level 14
Why don't you save you self a lot of time and frustration. Download Macrium Reflect Free and clone you old SSD to your new SSD. Then save your old SSD for future issues or incase you need to send your notebook in for repair at some point.
Here s an older video showing you how to do this and adjust your partitions size to match your new larger/small SSD
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Clintlgm wrote:
Why don't you save you self a lot of time and frustration. Download Macrium Reflect Free and clone you old SSD to your new SSD. Then save your old SSD for future issues or incase you need to send your notebook in for repair at some point.
Here s an older video showing you how to do this and adjust your partitions size to match your new larger/small SSD

The laptop only came with one SSD. The issue is that SSD doesn't show up (for some reasons) during the OS installation process, and I'm not sure what exactly is causing this. T_T

Sounds like a UEFI issue, You'll need to boot your install media UEFI, you do this by on boot up spam the Esc key that will bring up a Boot menu, boot with the UEFI USB not the USB.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?76993-Guide-How-to-install-windows-8-8-1-10-The-proper-way... its all explained and detailed step by step.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Clintlgm wrote:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?76993-Guide-How-to-install-windows-8-8-1-10-The-proper-way... its all explained and detailed step by step.

So very helpful guide! Got it done without even using the IRST driver! Thanks!