cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VIII Ranger, 6700K Stock, CPU Core Voltage 1.312 V normal?

weeswolf
Level 7
Hi all. As per the title my 6700K's CPU Core Voltage is 1.312V. Is this normal? Below are some screenshots of my BIOS. All settings are default, except XMP.

59988 59989
24 REPLIES 24

RaffieKol
Level 10
This is what i did for mine

Go to your Cpu core Voltage and change it to adaptive

change the turbo cpu volatage to 1.201

This way your cpu wont go over 1.2v and will use less when less is need cause you are on adaptive mood. If your cpu is not stable at stock at 1.201 then keep on adding 0.5v untill you get it stable but you should be stable at stock at 1.2v

Thank you for your assistance. I will adjust my settings as you have suggested. Did I do anything wrong in the first place or is this the normal BIOS voltage when set to auto by default?

Nate152
Hi weeswolf

It's normal with the voltage set to auto, mine draws 1.44v on auto.

Nate152 wrote:
It's normal with the voltage set to auto, mine draws 1.44v on auto.

Thank you for the confirmation. It puts my mind at ease! But I assume it will not do any harm to set my voltage manually, say to 1.20v (since I don’t overclock), or adaptive as suggested by RaffieKol? I want to lower my temps.

Nate152
No it won't do any harm, to get the lowest temps you want to set the voltage manually as low as your cpu allows.

You can use adaptive mode and you may need to use a negative offset to get the voltage to 1.20v.

Thank you Nate. For starters I have manually set my voltage to 1.20v and my PC booted successfully. I'm running the Unigine Valley benchmark on that PC at the moment and it appears after about 30 minutes as if my temps are about 15 C lower. Once I'm satisfied that the manual voltage is stable, I'll move on to the adaptive setting.
I'm very new to changing these types of settings, so please excuse my ignorance, but by lowering my voltage will I also lower my performance or will it remain unaffected?

Nate152
Performance is unaffected with lower voltage, what you do gain is lower temps.

Please ask any and all questions you may have. 🙂

Just a quick update. I looped the Unigine Valley benchmark (HD Extreme) for 6 hours. According to the Corsair Link monitoring software my CPU temp peaked at 55 C during this time at the manual 1.200 v. Previously, running the same benchmark at the automatic 1.312 v, my CPU temp peaked at 75 C. That's a whopping 20 C lower. And to think I was planning on refitting my CPU cooler this weekend :eek: The two fans on my Corsair H110 GT (top intake) are set to run at a fixed 700 RPM because I can't stand noise. I'm certain that if I select one of the standard profiles such as Quiet, Balanced or Performance that my temps would decrease even further as the fans' speed is adjusted according to the heat load.

Nate152
I don't think you need to remount your cpu cooler.

Unigine valley is a gpu stress testing program which is more for your gpu, a good cpu stress testing program is ROG Realbench.

Give this a try and if it says result hashmatch at the end you passed !

What are cpu temps with this?

http://rog.asus.com/rog-pro/realbench-v2-leaderboard/