cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motherboard on but not booting

wardendresden
Level 7
I just recently got the Asus Rampage Extreme V. I have plugged in everything and then turned on my computer according to the instructions for first time boot up. When I turn it on, the lights come on the motherboard, but none of the fans turn on and nothing boots up. I don't know what to do, I was hoping someone could help me.

components:
graphics card: Geforce 660TI
power supply: 2x series 1250W
CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.3 GHz LGA
cooling unit: DEEPCOOL Gamer Storm CAPTAIN 240EX CPU Liquid Cooler AIO Water Cooling
10 REPLIES 10

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Have you already mounted in a case?

Have you made sure all the standoffs are in the correct position...that nothing is making contact with back of motherboard.

8pin and 4pin ATX populated with correct ATX power cables?

Any LEDs lighting on board...any Qcodes on the Qcode LED display?

RAM in correct slots?

FuryA
Level 8
You can try to mount R5E with in chassis
and follow some steps for cross testing
only install new memory module as you can
and graphics card , cooler like that
good luck

Brighttail
Level 11
Standard trouble shooting would say take the motherboard out, put it on its box, plug in everything and see if it works. If it does then you were shorting something out in the case.
If it doesn't, recheck the power plugs. The 24pin and 8pin for sure. For this test you only need to have the CPU/RAM/GPU to see if it boots to BIOS.

If everything checks out and still doesn't boot up or the fans don't spin then normally that would indicate a CPU problem. If it starts up but gives you Qcode errors and doesn't boot into BIOS that usually indicates a RAM issue. At this point try the ram two sticks at a time (see manual for where to plug them in).

Good luck.

FYI I have had this happen many times and every time it was the 8pin that I didn't have plugged in correctly.
Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator RGB 3200MHz

MSI GTX 1080 TI / 2x Intel 900p / Samsung 970 Pro 512GB

Samsung 850 PRO 512GB / Western Digital Gold 8TB HD

Corsair AX 1200i / Corsair Platinum K95 / Asus Chakram

Acer XB321HK 4k, IPS, G-sync Monitor / Water Cooled / Asus G571JT Laptop

I have mounted it in the case and insured that all of the stand off pins are in the right place. I have checked all the cables to make sure both power and connection cables are in the right place. The Q-code for errors does not light up. I checked the ram, the guide says for 2 ram have both in the outer most slots, 1 on each side. I have tried unplugging no essential components to see if they are causing a problem, nothing causes any changes.

Nate152
Hi wardendresden

No Q-code on the led readout is likely a faulty psu or motherboard.

Double check the 24-pin main power cable is secured into place.

Thank you guys so much! It was a combination of the 24 pin power cable and I needed to check it outside of the case. Unfortunately, the board shorted and sparked a small fire so now they are telling me to RMA it.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Ouch 😞 hope that goes quick...

What burned? connector? component on board?

Nate152
How unfortunate, did you have the motherboard set up on the box it came in?

Just wondering how it would've sparked or what caused it.

Brighttail
Level 11
I hope they will accept the RMA. Normally shorting it out in the case is usually not covered.

Good luck!
Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator RGB 3200MHz

MSI GTX 1080 TI / 2x Intel 900p / Samsung 970 Pro 512GB

Samsung 850 PRO 512GB / Western Digital Gold 8TB HD

Corsair AX 1200i / Corsair Platinum K95 / Asus Chakram

Acer XB321HK 4k, IPS, G-sync Monitor / Water Cooled / Asus G571JT Laptop