cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calling all pg279q owners

nokturnalb6six6
Level 7
I'm sure I'm beating a dead horse with asking this question but have the issues with the pg279q been resolved? Thinking about pulling the trigger on one. thanks
21 REPLIES 21

cljustin
Level 8
What issues are you speaking of? BLB? Hope this answers your question:

http://edgeup.asus.com/2016/03/17/on-backlight-bleed-with-the-rog-swift-pg279q-gaming-monitor/

cljustin wrote:
What issues are you speaking of? BLB? Hope this answers your question:

http://edgeup.asus.com/2016/03/17/on-backlight-bleed-with-the-rog-swift-pg279q-gaming-monitor/

yes. thank you. i was wondering if people are still having these issues.

nokturnalb6six6 wrote:
yes. thank you. i was wondering if people are still having these issues.

I bought mine back in may or june and it has some minor BLB on the right side and the usual in the bottom right corner. Mine also has a minor yellow tint issue.that basically you don't notice in any game. only time you really notice is when there is a lot of white on screen. The 3 I previously bought in January and returned were much worse.

If you do go ahead with this monitor buy the extended warranty with a retailer (I have a 2 year with microcenter). I will be returning this to them at some point due to the defects. but basically for an extra $70 I can take this monitor back to them and get store credit for the price of the monitor up to two years from the date of purchase if there is a defect.
I7-4790k OC 4.9 1.375v
MSI Gaming X GTX 1080 OC core:2055Mhz Mem:5504Mhz

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
If you like what I post, hit that Rep button.
If i'm posting here it's only because I'm at work and have nothing better to do other than solve your problems.

Crashcourse316 wrote:
I bought mine back in may or june and it has some minor BLB on the right side and the usual in the bottom right corner. Mine also has a minor yellow tint issue.that basically you don't notice in any game. only time you really notice is when there is a lot of white on screen. The 3 I previously bought in January and returned were much worse.

If you do go ahead with this monitor buy the extended warranty with a retailer (I have a 2 year with microcenter). I will be returning this to them at some point due to the defects. but basically for an extra $70 I can take this monitor back to them and get store credit for the price of the monitor up to two years from the date of purchase if there is a defect.

yeah thats probably what ill do. i have an acer xb270hu right now. The first one developed a shadow streak in it. I sent it in for repair, the replacement lcd had a bunch of dead pixels, i returned it again and they replaced it again. This one has a few dead pixels. It seems damn near impossible to get a monitor thats flawless. Absolutely ridiculous that these monitors have so many problems at this price tag. anyways thanks for the response.

nokturnalb6six6 wrote:
Absolutely ridiculous that these monitors have so many problems at this price tag.

Totally agree, not a PG owner but MG and on my 3rd one, soon to be 4th as this one has developed dead pixels in the space of <30 days use 😞 .

The Asus ROG Swift PG279Q features an AU Optronics M270Q008 V0 AHVA (IPS-type) panel which is capable of producing 16.7 million colours with a true 8-bit colour depth. This is a new panel that we've not seen in any screen before. Early reports and some other reviews have wrongly stated that the screen is using the same M270DAN02.3 panel as the similarly spec'd Acer XB270HU and Asus MG279Q. That isn't right though, and isn't really logical given that this is a new borderless / frameless style panel as well. We expect to see this new panel used in the forthcoming Acer XB271HU when that's released too.

Quote from TFTCentral PG279Q review.

As there all using AU panels I don't expect QC is any better on the newer panel TBH 😞 .
Intel Defector :eek: AMD Rebel

R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

:eek: CPU Validation 5.198GHz@1.314v with 4.4GHz cache + RAM 2400MHz@1T :eek:
Da Music video

gupsterg wrote:
Totally agree, not a PG owner but MG and on my 3rd one, soon to be 4th as this one has developed dead pixels in the space of <30 days use 😞 .

Quote from TFTCentral PG279Q review.

As there all using AU panels I don't expect QC is any better on the newer panel TBH 😞 .

It really is amazing. It seems like you have greater odds getting a bad panel than a good one. I really dont see where they get off on charging this much for these monitors. When you charge a price like that there should be extra steps involved in making sure these monitors are perfect. This would be understandable on some cheap, inexpensive budget monitor but not these.

nokturnalb6six6 wrote:
It really is amazing. It seems like you have greater odds getting a bad panel than a good one. I really dont see where they get off on charging this much for these monitors. When you charge a price like that there should be extra steps involved in making sure these monitors are perfect. This would be understandable on some cheap, inexpensive budget monitor but not these.

The extra steps would cut into the profit. Also the extra steps wouldn't help them sell the monitor by finding all the "bad" ones and pulling them. It would just be less stock. Also I think most people that get this monitor may not even notice some of the issues or even care about some of that corner BLB as long as it's not that bad. It all comes down to how picky you are. If your not super critical on this monitors every tiny defect the monitor is one of the best out right now. It's in the sweet spot for good fps gaming at ultra settings and looks awesome. Asus has said they implemented special QA testing for the monitor which includes a dimmed room test for BLB. Which seems to have reduced the number of bad monitors getting shipped. I can't really test that though so we will just have to take the word from Asus that they are actually doing it.
I7-4790k OC 4.9 1.375v
MSI Gaming X GTX 1080 OC core:2055Mhz Mem:5504Mhz

If you like what I post, hit that Rep button.
If i'm posting here it's only because I'm at work and have nothing better to do other than solve your problems.

Crashcourse316 wrote:
The extra steps would cut into the profit. Also the extra steps wouldn't help them sell the monitor by finding all the "bad" ones and pulling them. It would just be less stock. Also I think most people that get this monitor may not even notice some of the issues or even care about some of that corner BLB as long as it's not that bad. It all comes down to how picky you are. If your not super critical on this monitors every tiny defect the monitor is one of the best out right now. It's in the sweet spot for good fps gaming at ultra settings and looks awesome. Asus has said they implemented special QA testing for the monitor which includes a dimmed room test for BLB. Which seems to have reduced the number of bad monitors getting shipped. I can't really test that though so we will just have to take the word from Asus that they are actually doing it.

A little backlight bleed doesnt bother me. I have some on the bottom right hand corner of my predator. Im more concerned with the dust/dirt under the screen and dead/stuck pixels. ive been through three predators that use the same panel apparently. They all have had this issue which is unacceptable in my opinion. These panels should be made in a clean environment.

nokturnalb6six6 wrote:

That's what I started wondering about. I bought mine the end of October and it's absolutely flawless; even the glow is the best out of all the IPS and AHVA monitors I've used--near non-existent. Another co-worker in my office (I'm a computer support/repair tech) bought the Acer competitor of this monitor and he says it's perfect as well.

I was sure I was going to have to deal with the gamble of returning monitors over and over again based on what all the reviews online have stated. But what I started to wonder about is if they really have taken steps in the matter to deal with QC. I still don't see many new good reviews on the monitors, only bad ones. And then again, people that are unhappy are more likely to leave a review than those who are.

Based on my experience and that of my co-workers, I'd totally buy this or the Acer again.