Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    New ROGer Array

Requesting Information about GL502VM, Virtual Machine, Optimus, USB-C Thunderbolt ?

Hi, I' about to replace my actual laptop and I've found the GL502VM pretty interesting.
    I've just a little questions about it (the 1060 6gb one):
    1. Does it support the VT-D for virtual machines? (I will often use it with vmware) Can it be enabled in BIOS?
    2. Does it have the support for Nvidia Optimus switchable graphics cards? i.e. the Intel one in power saving mode? Or is there a manual switch in BIOS?
    3. is the USC-c port Thunderbolt compatible?
    Sorry, I was unable to find this infos online, even asking Asus directly. No feedback after a week.

Thanks

New ROGer Array

http://www.asus.com/ROG-Republic-Of-...pecifications/
    the above link states that its usb type C, not anything about thunderbolt and as the VS version dosent come with thunderbolt 3 you can be 100% (well almost , as previous versions actualy did have thunderbolt 3...wtf asus ?) that this model dosent have it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_chipsets
    the above link states that the chipset does indeed have VT-D , if you open the link and search for "HM170" which is the chipset in the laptop.

about an intel graphics card....im actually not sure, i wasnt able to find anything about a potential build in card on the board, usually intel boards come with a printet graphics card on it but they dont mention it any where i could find atleast, but if it does come with one, you can be sure that optimus is supported

New ROGer Array

Someone owning it can provide BIOS screens pics?
    Thanks

ROG Member Array

ive watched a review from youtube(Dave2D) about this laptop having the G sync. He said that having a G Sync Panel will sacrifice the Optimus feature.

I have no idea on the Thunderbolt 3 cause theres a lot of confusion between similar models(like GL702vm etc).Some says they have others not. Maybe region also a factor? not sure though. I havent tried mine yet.

Heres the BIOS
    i cant to the f12 trick. i do not have any flash drive on hand. XD
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14875078_10202560473490253_986632767_n.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	77.8 KB 
ID:	60034

Name:	14875393_10202560473370250_519816633_n.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	29.7 KB 
ID:	60033
    Last edited by nocturnalnocnoc; 10-28-2016 at 01:25 PM.

Super Moderator Array

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnalnocnoc View Post
    Ill attach my BIOS later.

fyi. If you're interested, pressing 'F12' should save a screenshot of your bios screen to a USB drive although I don't remember if it will complain about FAT32 or NTFS formatting for your USB drive.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnalnocnoc View Post

Name:	14875393_10202560473370250_519816633_n.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	29.7 KB 
ID:	60033
    can you expand on the intel thunderbolt selection in the bios and show us what it says, i'm very wanting to get this laptop but only thing holding me back is the lack of TB3
    Last edited by sync_it; 11-08-2016 at 08:20 PM.

New ROGer Array

Thank you All, guys!

ROG Member Array

Based on the GL502VM that I have:

1. Does it support the VT-D for virtual machines? (I will often use it with vmware) Can it be enabled in BIOS?

YES

2. Does it have the support for Nvidia Optimus switchable graphics cards? i.e. the Intel one in power saving mode? Or is there a manual switch in BIOS?

NO. The laptop is G-Sync compatible, so as far as I know, the Intel integrated card needs to be permanently disabled for it to work. Which means it's always running on the GTX 1060, which of cuts into the battery life a little.

3. is the USC-c port Thunderbolt compatible?

YES. I am not sure if it really is a regional thing. Different sources claim different things, but mine has the Intel Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt 3 chip.

ROG Member Array

usb type c is capped at 10gbps

Not very clear information anywhere for this, I spoke with someone at asus, they told me that the type c is capped at 10gbps not 40gbps which is actual thunderbolt, meaning it cannot be used with external gpus as it is too slow.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by andvoy View Post
    * 3. is the USC-c port Thunderbolt compatible?

YES. I am not sure if it really is a regional thing. Different sources claim different things, but mine has the Intel Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt 3 chip.
    Ah. This's the first time I've heard someone actually confirm having TB in their GL502VM.
    I'm not sure who in Asus made this choice:
    GL702VM has it.
    Some GL502VM have it.
    The more expensive GL502VS doesn't.*

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast