cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Requesting Information about GL502VM, Virtual Machine, Optimus, USB-C Thunderbolt ?

essetiemme
Level 7
Hi, I' about to replace my actual laptop and I've found the GL502VM pretty interesting.
I've just a little questions about it (the 1060 6gb one):
1. Does it support the VT-D for virtual machines? (I will often use it with vmware) Can it be enabled in BIOS?
2. Does it have the support for Nvidia Optimus switchable graphics cards? i.e. the Intel one in power saving mode? Or is there a manual switch in BIOS?
3. is the USC-c port Thunderbolt compatible?
Sorry, I was unable to find this infos online, even asking Asus directly. No feedback after a week.

Thanks
10 REPLIES 10

Lassenyboe
Level 7
http://www.asus.com/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG-GL502VM/specifications/
the above link states that its usb type C, not anything about thunderbolt and as the VS version dosent come with thunderbolt 3 you can be 100% (well almost , as previous versions actualy did have thunderbolt 3...wtf asus ?) that this model dosent have it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_chipsets
the above link states that the chipset does indeed have VT-D , if you open the link and search for "HM170" which is the chipset in the laptop.

about an intel graphics card....im actually not sure, i wasnt able to find anything about a potential build in card on the board, usually intel boards come with a printet graphics card on it but they dont mention it any where i could find atleast, but if it does come with one, you can be sure that optimus is supported

Someone owning it can provide BIOS screens pics?
Thanks

ive watched a review from youtube(Dave2D) about this laptop having the G sync. He said that having a G Sync Panel will sacrifice the Optimus feature.

I have no idea on the Thunderbolt 3 cause theres a lot of confusion between similar models(like GL702vm etc).Some says they have others not. Maybe region also a factor? not sure though. I havent tried mine yet.

Heres the BIOS
i cant to the f12 trick. i do not have any flash drive on hand. XD

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
nocturnalnocnoc wrote:
Ill attach my BIOS later.

fyi. If you're interested, pressing 'F12' should save a screenshot of your bios screen to a USB drive although I don't remember if it will complain about FAT32 or NTFS formatting for your USB drive.

nocturnalnocnoc wrote:

can you expand on the intel thunderbolt selection in the bios and show us what it says, i'm very wanting to get this laptop but only thing holding me back is the lack of TB3

Thank you All, guys!

Based on the GL502VM that I have:

1. Does it support the VT-D for virtual machines? (I will often use it with vmware) Can it be enabled in BIOS?

YES

2. Does it have the support for Nvidia Optimus switchable graphics cards? i.e. the Intel one in power saving mode? Or is there a manual switch in BIOS?

NO. The laptop is G-Sync compatible, so as far as I know, the Intel integrated card needs to be permanently disabled for it to work. Which means it's always running on the GTX 1060, which of cuts into the battery life a little.

3. is the USC-c port Thunderbolt compatible?

YES. I am not sure if it really is a regional thing. Different sources claim different things, but mine has the Intel Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt 3 chip.

Not very clear information anywhere for this, I spoke with someone at asus, they told me that the type c is capped at 10gbps not 40gbps which is actual thunderbolt, meaning it cannot be used with external gpus as it is too slow.

andvoy wrote:

* 3. is the USC-c port Thunderbolt compatible?

YES. I am not sure if it really is a regional thing. Different sources claim different things, but mine has the Intel Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt 3 chip.

Ah. This's the first time I've heard someone actually confirm having TB in their GL502VM.
I'm not sure who in Asus made this choice:
GL702VM has it.
Some GL502VM have it.
The more expensive GL502VS doesn't.*