cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strix 980Ti LED random speed pulsing problem + performance in PCIEx8

InToSSH
Level 7
Hello,
I just purchased a Strix 980Ti, but after powering the PC I have noticed something strange.
I know that the LED is supposed to pulse, but the pulsing changes speed, sometimes it's this shallow fast pulsing, and sometimes just standard pulsing.

I tried controlling the card with LED Visualiser from GeForce experience, which at least lets me set it to Static On or Off, but any other mode just adds to the original pulsing. Anyway I uninstalled the GeForce experience, as well as LED VIsualiser, but the GPU still changes between standard pulse / fast pulse randomly.
What other SW is capable of changing this? I have GPUTweak II installed aswell as AI Suite 3.
Any ideas?

Here is what is looks like.

Also as you can notice in the video, the GPU is connected to PCIEx8 slot, I just like it there more, because the ROG logo on PCH is not covered by the GPU,
am I going to notice some performance decrease?

Thanks 🙂
Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) / Core i7-8700k / Asus Strix GTX1070 Ti / Corsair Vengeance LED RED DDR4 4x8GB @ 2666Mhz / SAMSUNG 850 EVO 500GB SSD / 4TB WD Red / CoolerMaster Master Case 5 Pro / Corsair H100i v2 / Corsair CX750M
3 REPLIES 3

Chino
Level 15
As far as I know, that LED wasn't controllable. But it just happens that LED Visualiser can turn it on or off. As for the PCIe speed, there is a small performance hit with running your GPU at x8 instead of x16. But the difference is so small that you won't notice it in real world usage. 🙂

InToSSH
Level 7
Thanks Chino 🙂 I will see if my OCD will let me leave it in x8 slot, knowing it would perform better in x16, although unnoticeably.

Well.. so the LED is supposed to pulse slower of faster? I don't need any control, I am not using any SW to control it now, I also disabled GPUTweak II, as well as GeForce Experience to be sure. I just want ti to pulse as it was intended as default, but not switch from slow pulse to fast pulse randomly all the time. I can't figure why that is happening.
You can see in the video above that it switches every 10 seconds or so.
Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) / Core i7-8700k / Asus Strix GTX1070 Ti / Corsair Vengeance LED RED DDR4 4x8GB @ 2666Mhz / SAMSUNG 850 EVO 500GB SSD / 4TB WD Red / CoolerMaster Master Case 5 Pro / Corsair H100i v2 / Corsair CX750M

Chino
Level 15
Unfortunately I don't own the Strix GTX 980 Ti so I am unable to comment if the difference in pulsing speed is normal behaviour.