cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung 950 M.2 together with Intel 750 U.2

dirray
Level 7
Hi,

My Rampage V Edition 10 system is currently booting via a Samsung 950 M.2 SSD. I would like to exchange my Intel 750 PCIE SSD for an Intel 750 U.2 based one (to free up slot PCIEX8_2), and am wondering if others have experience with this combination?

I'm reading in the manual "The PCIEX8_4 slot shares bandwidth with M.2 and U.2". I've got a X2-card in that slot.
Note: I've also got 2 GTX1080's, but don't think this makes a difference?

My CPU is a i7-6950x 40-lane one.

Thanks for your help.
20 REPLIES 20

Honami
Level 7
AFAIK, You can't use the M.2 and U.2 Connector on the mobo at the same time.
You might want to get the asus Hyper kit M.2 and place the 950 there and connect the 750 to the U.2 Connector on board.
The 2 1080's will use 32 lanes when connected, so you can draw another 4 lanes for one of the SSD's by connecting it to one of the PCI-E Slots that draw lanes from the CPU.
Correct me if i'm wrong.

Honami wrote:
AFAIK, You can't use the M.2 and U.2 Connector on the mobo at the same time.
You might want to get the asus Hyper kit M.2 and place the 950 there and connect the 750 to the U.2 Connector on board.
The 2 1080's will use 32 lanes when connected, so you can draw another 4 lanes for one of the SSD's by connecting it to one of the PCI-E Slots that draw lanes from the CPU.
Correct me if i'm wrong.

Yes it is correct, only 1 card will be working.

That is sad, as the intent to do this was to free up a PCIE slot by moving my current Intel 750 PCIE to a U.2 version. If I can only do this by putting my Samsung 950 in a PCIE slot via the Hyper board, then I gain nothing...

It is nowhere indicated thet it is either the M.2 or the U.2, no?

Thanks anyway.

dirray
Level 7
I want to come back to my initial question: whether an SSD on the M.2 and one on the U.2 can be used simultaneously, as I read in another thread here on this Rampage V X99 formum that it works (the thread is about RAID0), which is in discrepancy with the answer I got above?

Does somebody else use both M.2 & U.2 together?

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
I am not sure of the lane config on this one...and you might wait a while here to find a good answer...

Maybe best to write to ASUS support for your region direct...though you would have to be clearer on exactly what you want to run in what slot.

For example you say you have a x2 something in last slot....where would you put that?

I think U2 and M2 is possible but this will probably reduce lane speed for one of the GPUs to x8....

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
I am not sure of the lane config on this one...and you might wait a while here to find a good answer...

Maybe best to write to ASUS support for your region direct...though you would have to be clearer on exactly what you want to run in what slot.

For example you say you have a x2 something in last slot....where would you put that?

I think U2 and M2 is possible but this will probably reduce lane speed for one of the GPUs to x8....

I contacted local ASUS Support, but while I've got 2 replies now, I still don't know whether M.2 & U.2 work together; they both use 4 lanes, so - if PCIE8_4 is empty - I presume this should work. Don't know why ASUS is not able to respond to such an 'easy' question ... awaiting the 3rd reply ...

I believe even PCIe 3.0 x4 is excessive for a GTX 1080. The SLI HB Bridge supposedly moves almost all transactions over the bridge instead of sharing the PCIe bus. So, there should be no performance hit on current generation cards on the Rampage V. The ROG STRIX X99 specs do not mention any bandwidth sharing for the M.2 and U.2 slots, presumably because there is no 4th PCIe x8 slot.

Menthol
Level 14
I don't have a U.2 drive but I believe, it's one or the other, U.2 or M.2, With a M.2 drive installed in the M.2 slot and a Intel 750 pcie drive installed in the bottom pcie slot the video card on top slot is reduced to X8, if you enable 4 way sli in the bios the top slot will work at x16 but that disables both the M.2 and U.2 slots. This is a super nice board but adding thee USB 3.1 was in my opinion a mistake, thee pcie lane assignment was better on thee RVE, just my opinion

Sprayingmango
Level 10
I just discovered the same issue on my RVE10. I moved my exact setup from my RVE to the new RVE10 thinking it would work just fine. Nope. I discovered that having SLI 1080s, with my 950 Pro boot drive in the M.2 and my second 950Pro in an Angelwings PX1 PCIe card...I was having massive issues. My system wouldn't post and lane 4 LED would flash on the board.*

I had the 950 PCIe card in the small black slot between the GFX cards. That proved problematic. Moved it to the last slot and it gimped the SLI or broke it completely.

Is there any way to make this work? Maybe disable the 3.1 ports and the WiFi / Bluetooth in bios? I don't use them anyway. *