cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

W10 Anniversary bug on RVE Intel LAN adaptor?

dansi
Level 7
Hi all, you have got this bug on the I218V LAN since updating to latest W10?

It is when on cold boot, the internet performance of the adaptor is crawling slow (5~8mbps) . I had to either reboot to get my normal internet speed back, or i go device manager to uninstall I218V drivers, and scan for changes to auto reinstall drivers without reboot. Im on fiber internet here.

I tried all sort of drivers for the adaptor, from Asus page, to Intel page, all have this cold boot bug. Halp!
9 REPLIES 9

KingJerky
Level 7
I have the exact same problem after the latest cumulative update update to windows 10 last night.

Very odd and I've yet to find a 'real' fix to the issue.

I'm on gen 1 RVE mobo.

dansi wrote:
Hi all, you have got this bug on the I218V LAN since updating to latest W10?

It is when on cold boot, the internet performance of the adaptor is crawling slow (5~8mbps) . I had to either reboot to get my normal internet speed back, or i go device manager to uninstall I218V drivers, and scan for changes to auto reinstall drivers without reboot. Im on fiber internet here.

I tried all sort of drivers for the adaptor, from Asus page, to Intel page, all have this cold boot bug. Halp!

dansi
Level 7
I fixed it for a period by using the drivers from Asus site. However the latest latest W10 updates returned the bug. Now even using that particular Asus drivers wont help.

Any one else have idea? I googled for similar cases for the I218V but seen not, it cannot be a RVE problem?? Mine is also gen 1 RVE

Hello and sorry for my English, but I'm Spanish 🙂
I have also had the same problem on the Rampage V Edition 10 and apparently is a problem of network settings in Windows 10.
I've solved by installing the latest drivers updated this page and found that not fail me again (The proper installation of drivers warns that Windows 10 has a problem and advises you uncheck "Advanced Network Services")
I leave the link to both and I hope you work, greetings!

Rampage V Extreme
http://www.station-drivers.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1145:rampage-v-extreme&c...

Rampage V Edition 10
http://www.station-drivers.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1751:rog-rampage-v-editi...

dansi
Level 7
I tried latest driver and still seem problem.

Latest tweak i tried is go advanced - property - wait for link - off.
Seems to work now.

btw i have all c states on and in the network power management - disabled allow to turn off device to save power. I feel is some bug with power management where on first OS load, the adaptor is stuck in low power mode.

dansi
Level 7
Damn after a night sleep, i make a cold boot and the bug is still present! The hell.

dansi wrote:
Damn after a night sleep, i make a cold boot and the bug is still present! The hell.

Does anybody know a solution to this? This just started affecting me and it's extremely annoying.

Korth
Level 14
This is a known issue, commonly (mis)named the "I218-V Wake On LAN broken with Fastboot bug" - it was broken on Win7, it was broken on Win8 and 8.1, now it's broken on Win10. "Wake On LAN" should probably be renamed to something like "Fails On Boot" or "Fails To Properly Reset/Initialize On Power Up", but it's not.

Your I218-V slowdown problem is not uncommon. Other common symptoms include random disconnects, random failed connects, excessive lost packets, failed checksums and error-corrections, failed modes, failed duplexes, failed teaming, etc. Intel hasn't admitted any specific details and always says that they're "still collecting data". But there's been much "expert" speculation and analysis by (non-Intel) hard-techs pointing at certain flaws in the I218-V PHY (electrical interface) implementation - these are supported by "conclusive" and reproducible tests demonstrating that I218-V parts have oversensitive response to momentary power fluctuations which do not meet minimum advertised fault tolerances, and by inconclusive tests showing that variance in individual I218-V parts often fall below acceptable reliability/performance thresholds. (Remember that the I218 family was primarily designed to integrate with Xeon-based Cxxx chipsets, it seems Intel may have cut them down a little too far for their Core-based Express chipsets. I honestly don't know if Intel or Asus bins these or any other chipset components - you'd expect only the best and fastest in your ROG, yes? - though I suspect that at least the majority of obviously below-spec or borderline parts get weeded out during QA testing phases.)

Intel eventually released drivers which implemented an internal workaround to magically fix all these I218-V issues (through some kind of forced IRQ reassignments or something) on Win7 and Win8/8.1, I expect they'll get around to doing the same for Win10. You'll always find the latest-and-greatest I218-V drivers at the Intel Download Site first, even when they're not (yet) available on the Asus ROG Rampage V Edition 10 download site.

The user comments on my links above offer a little advice about how to fix the issue, though no comment on whether or not any of the suggestions actually worked. You might be stuck living with your frustrating issue until a new Intel driver fixes it or you retrograde to an old Intel driver fix on Win7/8/8.1. Or you could always fallback to the I211-AT Gigabit controller, though it has plenty of frustrating bugs too.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

dansi
Level 7
Hi all i sorta bypass this hardware bug by leaving my fibre modem on.
It seems if my PC booted already while the fibre modem is coming online, i faced the bug.
If i boot up my modem first, let it fully connect, then boot up my PC, no bug!

Crappy Intel and Asus keeping silent. I wonder why other I218V in other brands dont get affected?

dansi wrote:
Crappy Intel and Asus keeping silent. I wonder why other I218V in other brands dont get affected?

I218-V bugs can occur on any motherboard using I218-V parts regardless of mobo manufacturer. You'll notice on my links above that motherboards made by Asus, Gigabyte, and MSI are all mentioned. Only those mobo manufacturers which exclusively favour non-Intel NICs (made by Atheros, Realtek, Broadcom, etc) are never mentioned in these discussions. (Note that gaming motherboards with Killer E2200-family NICs are immune to I218-V bugs, and the Killer NICs are hugely "popular", but most performance metrics suggest that chipset-native Intel NICs are the faster and more stable choice.)

ASUS is probably "silent" because ASUS doesn't specifically deal with NICs, they assume (for many good reasons) that the Intel-specified NICs are generally the best part choices available, they embed them "as-is" into ASUS motherboard chipsets and focus their attentions onto innovating more exciting aspects of the platform technology.

Intel is hardly "silent" - while they seem very reluctant to admit any electrical design flaws they are very attentive to complaints about malfunctioning Intel products and very diligent about releasing updates, fixes, and errata which workaround or correct identified issues. But Intel can't fix unknown issues and claims they cannot reliably reproduce these particular bugs.

I'm inclined to blame Windows. These I218-V issues occurred on Win7, Win8, Win8.1, and (now) Win10. They do not occur in linux operating systems. If anyone is to blame then it is Microsoft - they should have a detailed inventory of hardware bugs from previous WinOS versions, they should proactively collaborate with hardware manufacturers (like Intel) to produce working drivers for their current and upcoming WinOS versions. I'm of the opinion that Microsoft has positioned itself as ultimate "owner" and "admin" for every Windows PC in the world while failing to properly take ownership or effectively administrate things - they leave all the dirty work for other companies and end-users to figure out.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]