Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EVGA 1080 and 1070 VRM problems

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
7 REPLIES 7

samual
Level 11
I haven't noticed problems with my 1070 ftw but i stopped pushing it and signed up for the thermal pads. I'll overclock the card again when I get the pads.
x99-pro/3.1 | i7-5820k | 16gb gskils 3000 | Nvidia gtx 980 ti | 512gb SM950 Pro | Predator 360 AIO | ASUS PA248Q | Seasonic Platnium 1000w

Detleg
Level 12
Hey Arne, not trying to hijack ur thread but what do u think about my choices?
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?88561-Looking-for-some-upgrades-to-stay-ahead&p=614643&vie...

bad news if you have EVGA 1080/1070

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
No VRM cooling seems a weird oversight indeed...if you have average to high ambient temps might be worth holding back and getting the thermal pad kit...

Vlada011
Level 10
It's weird how manufacturer risk and every year some brand have problem with something.
If you ask me they didn't believe that card with 150-180W power consumption could be so hot...
But in future all manufacturers should remember and on all dual cooler card to install heatsink and thermal
pads on VRM and memory and dimension of them perfectly to match and cooler to nicely sit and PCB.
I say with Maxwell, now people need to use some kind of liquid cooling. I thought maybe not for GTX1080 as GTX980 but now I see that AIO system is only solution if people don't want temps to pass 60-62-63C under hard core gaming with graphically demanding games. Hybrid have Pump on chip and fan for memory/VRM.

What ASUS plan to do with Poseidon option. Maybe keep for GTX1080Ti?
She is easy for installation and excellent option for long, long gaming because low temps.

I've had to strip a DUAL GTX 1070 clean and install heatsinks to the naked ram chips! so asus is just as bad as cooling components as EVGA in lesser cards. Sent messages to ROG about it, specially since its all gone in smoke for EVGA.

same was said for GTX 970/60 Turbo cards, none of the mem chips have any thermal pads or contact with a heat sink.