cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[PG248Q] Is this normal?

Kuishi
Level 7
Hi there, I bought the PG248Q a couple of days ago and when I plugged it in for the first time the gamma was waaaaaaay off. You could describe it as if there was a constant white fog/filter on the screen. Also when watching videos and playing games I was having serious colour banding ONLY on dark areas, like they look like a pixelated mess.

Installing the ICC profile from the support website and adjusting the colour calibration on my Nvidia control panel fixed this partly but not completely. When using built-in W10 calibration the gamma was still way off like I had to put the gamma slider all the way to the max and it still was not enough.

After 3 days of calibrating my screen its starting to look a bit decent now, the pixelation on the darker areas on my screen are 90% gone but still noticeable....
Picture here

My settings right now on the monitor: Im using a DisplayPort on a Geforce 970gtx with updated drivers. Using this website to calibrate my monitor.
160hz (viewing on 144hz or any mode just gives the same problems)
Brightness 10
Contrast 50
Color Temp Normal
Gamma: 2.5 (2.2 is not dark enough)
All other settings are Default

Nvidia Panel settings:
Full RGB output obviously
Brightness and Contrast on Default
Gamma +0,89

Am I doing something wrong? Is there a problem with the monitor or my videocard?
Also Im having some kind of backlight glow on the lower right of my screen.
Pictures: 144hz and 160hz.

edit: just checked the Gradient on this website and the gradient is not showing as smooth as it should be.
121 REPLIES 121

Dmitriy957
Level 7
Kuishi

I have almost the same amount of glow, maybe little less.

There is something strange with gamma for shure. I don't know what to do. I tested with TFT monitor 1.52 and gradient is great. I can download this software for free.

I agree. It's very noticeable in most dark gradient.

Waiting answer form Bahz 🙂

This is doing my head in, I have reset everything to default once more and installed the correct ICC colours from the ASUS website. Then I checked how much gamma the monitor is actually giving me before calibrating and its showing around 1.5-1.6... How is this possible?

- Using Windows Colour Calibration makes everything look worse, the pixelation on darker parts of videos is just horrible.
- Using Nvidia panel I'm able to fix the problem 90-95% but its still there and I'm thinking if I should return the monitor or not. I feel like I'm not getting worth my €500 because of this. I know TN panels have their limitations but colour banding and a pixel mess on dark spots is not what I asked for.

Ok I just tested the same game on another screen and its not having problems at all. I'm about sure there is something wrong with the new one.

Kuishi

Another PG248Q or different model?

photo from PG248Q? Can you post photo taken from another screen?

Dimitriy its a Samsung 24" Syncmaster a cheap LCD screen I bought a couple of years ago.

Okay I was about to post that the problem fixed itself after a while.
The gamma is still way off but after some tweaking its okayis with minimal banding and moving pixels on dark spots but still imo not acceptable for a expensive monitor to be honest.

My display was asleep for a couple of hours and now I just turned it on and the gamma and pixelation problems return. Its like it needs to warm up before I get a better picture.

edit: nvm problem persists.... sigh

Kuishi

I think the problem exist. Thrue HDMI there is almost all dark gradient are removed.

Ok update..
Finally I managed to get all my settings correct, yes the PG248Q is still very bright for me but I'm at a point where I'm able to live with the current settings. (Although Im still a bit scared of the backlight bleed in the right corner)

- First of all I have adjusted my Windows Theme Settings back to the default one.
- Deleted/Removed all of my ICC Profiles at Colour Management and put everything back to default.
- Used ALL RESET on the monitor settings and I put brightness back to 25, Color Temp - Normal, Gamma 2.5
- I ran DDU in Safe Mode so it removed all of my display drivers.
- Installed the latest display drivers again and the PG248Q ICC profile.
- Calibrated Windows gamma to the Darkest setting.
- And then I tinkered some on the Nvidia Video Image/Colour settings (Dynamic Range Full, Edge Enhancement, Noise Reduction, etc)

The colours are fine, the videos are okay its a lot better than before, only the dark areas are still a bit weird.

Problem is solved over HDMI

Monitor is just too bright! And there is no problem.

Okay something just happened. I had a power outage and when I turned on my computer again the "white fog" and pixel/artifacts I had on my screen are gone?
Can someone explain this to me how this is possible? lol

I am accept all that you said above, and post the video of this problem on my own and I want to note, it is observed on other computers, regardless of the system components.