Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by unclewebb View Post
    I did some searching last night and found another G751JY owner with the exact same problem.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...amp-frustrated

As soon as he used ThrottleStop to disable BD PROCHOT, his CPU immediately started running at full speed. Based on your testing so far, I think your laptop has the same problem.

Your ThrottleStop screenshot does not show any signs of throttling. Your CPU is running at 3400+ MHz like it should be. Try to get a screenshot of ThrottleStop with the Limit Reasons window open when your CPU is throttling and stuck at 798 MHz.

Limit Reasons shows what part of the CPU is causing the throttling. If a box lights up in red, that is the reason for the throttling that is presently happening. A yellow box means that some throttling was previously recorded but the CPU is not presently throttling due to that reason. After you boot up, open Limit Reasons and click on the headings, CORE, GPU and RING. This clears the previous throttling reasons so the yellow boxes should turn black. Some of these get set during the boot up phase. That is not important so you want to clear those boxes before you start testing. Also open up the ThrottleStop - Options window and check off, Add Limit Reasons to Log File. The log file will then contain throttling reasons so this data can be directly compared to the CPU multiplier.

When monitoring, run ThrottleStop by itself. Other monitoring programs like HWiNFO automatically delete the Limit Reasons data that is stored within the processor. If the Windows system logs are random or not 100% reliable then ignore this data. It was nice that Windows told you that there is a problem but now you need to fix it. Windows does not have any options available to fix a throttling problem like this.

Edit - It would also be a good idea to turn on GPU monitoring in the Options window so this information will be included in the log file too.
    Throttlestop screenshot was taken when i have just turned my laptop) so no throttling there. While limit reason was turned right when ihad 798. Just to make it clear. But ok will try again).

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

I just need to see a single screenshot that includes ThrottleStop showing 798 MHz and with Limit Reasons open too at the same time. This should give me a clue as to what is causing the throttling. Best to have the Log File option on so you have some numbers to confirm the throttling.

ROG Member Array

I just need to see a single screenshot that includes ThrottleStop showing 798 MHz and with Limit Reasons open too at the same time. This should give me a clue as to what is causing the throttling. Best to have the Log File option on so you have some numbers to confirm the throttling.
    So here they are: the screen and pastebin. http://pastebin.com/hJBp3TnK
    As i can see - there is nothing. (throttle started at 14.10 in the logs)
    At 14.14.50 you can s me unpluggig and the clocks go back up. Also no signs of anything.
    Miniatura de Adjuntos Miniatura de Adjuntos throttle.jpg  

The next time this happens, put a check mark in the ThrottleStop - Set Multiplier option.

EDP is showing up in the log file and it is also showing up in Limit Reasons. This stands for Electrical Design Point which is usually triggered when the current limit is set too low. Can you post a screenshot of the ThrottleStop TPL window? The Primary Plane Power Limits might show a clue.

Your laptop has an unusual problem. It is definitely not running like a 4720HQ should run.
    Last edited by unclewebb; 11-05-2016 at 08:55 PM.

ROG Member Array

The next time this happens, put a check mark in the ThrottleStop - Set Multiplier option.

EDP is showing up in the log file and it is also showing up in Limit Reasons. This stands for Electrical Design Point which is usually triggered when the current limit is set too low. Can you post a screenshot of the ThrottleStop TPL window? The Primary Plane Power Limits might show a clue.

Your laptop has an unusual problem. It is definitely not running like a 4720HQ should run.
    Here is TRL window. Will check *set multiplier* tomorrow, going to sleep now).

Looking at this TRL window, might be this turbo time limit the case? I am not experienced enough with Throttlestop, so i might not unerstand it properly, but can it be that it just turns off turboboost after 8min? Checked eventlog and in most cases the fps-drop is at least close to 8min after *winlogon*.
    Miniatura de Adjuntos Miniatura de Adjuntos TRL.jpg  

Last edited by Chargero; 11-06-2016 at 12:36 AM.

The turbo time limit is in seconds. The way these Intel CPUs are supposed to work is that they are allowed to run as fast as possible as long as they do not exceed 58 Watts. If the CPU is running an extreme stress test like Prime95, the CPU multiplier should throttle immediately to keep power consumption under 58 Watts. After approximately 8 seconds, the maximum power limit is reduced to 47 Watts and the maximum multiplier will throttle further if it needs to so power consumption does not exceed 47 Watts.

What we know so far is that the throttling you are experiencing has nothing to do with either of these built in turbo power limits. Your CPU is running well under these limits. Limit Reasons also shows that neither power limit has been reached. On a normal CPU, when these power limits are reached, the multiplier does not drop down to 8 and it does not get stuck at 8 for any length of time.

Here is an example of how my 4700MQ throttles when it reaches these limits just so you have a better understanding of Intel CPUs.

To create some stress, I ran the LinX program. When overclocked and all 4 cores are loaded, the 4700MQ can use the 34 multiplier. LinX puts such a huge load on the CPU that this is not possible so it immediately starts to throttle the multiplier to keep under the PL2 power limit.

The multiplier is averaging just over 30 and the CPU is running at just under the 56 Watt PL2 power limit. This will go on for a while until the time in the turbo time limit is used up. After that, the CPU is forced to drop down under 47 Watts which is the long term turbo power limit also known as PL1. To accomplish this, the CPU must immediately reduce the CPU multiplier.

The CPU multiplier is lower than before and this is keeping the CPU just under the 47 Watt limit. My CPU can run indefinitely at this speed. The CPU constantly adjusts the multiplier based on load to keep the CPU right at the edge of the 47 Watt limit. If the load is reduced slightly, the multiplier immediately increases. There is no lag. The CPU speed is constantly being adjusted. This is how a normal Intel CPU works. Your CPU on the other hand is not performing normally at all. It should never drop down to the 8 multiplier and get stuck there. Never.

It will be interesting to see if the Set Multiplier option can help with this. Try that first and then if that doesn't work, go into the FIVR window and try setting the Non Turbo Ratio to 1. After that, hit Apply or OK and see if that makes any difference when your CPU is throttling.

This is a very unique situation so I am just trying to come up with a few tricks to get around this problem.

ROG Member Array

The turbo time limit is in seconds. The way these Intel CPUs are supposed to work is that they are allowed to run as fast as possible as long as they do not exceed 58 Watts. If the CPU is running an extreme stress test like Prime95, the CPU multiplier should throttle immediately to keep power consumption under 58 Watts. After approximately 8 seconds, the maximum power limit is reduced to 47 Watts and the maximum multiplier will throttle further if it needs to so power consumption does not exceed 47 Watts.
    Thx for making me better understand now its much easier.
    So i tried *set multiplier*. And now it is even more complicated. When my FPS drops, multplier goes to 8, and we already know that. So when i use set multiplier to 34 it IS set to 34. BUT drop is still there . FPS is still low and nothing really changes. If i unbox *set multiplier* the multiplier gradually goes back to 8. No other options like clocks modulation help. So basically the only thing that helps is unplugging. It nevelates the problem till next restart.
    So i suppose it is some problem with windows 10 power management or smth. Dont think it is something really with the CPU. Cause it works good after unplug. Strange...

Quote Originally Posted by Chargero View Post
    So when i use set multiplier to 34 it IS set to 34. BUT drop is still there . FPS is still low and nothing really changes.
    Are you saying that the CPU runs at full speed when using ThrottleStop but the FPS are still dropping? It sounds like your GPU is also throttling. You could try running a log of your GPU using the GPU-Z program to confirm this. A GPU-Z log will show the MHz that the GPU is running at.

If CPU and GPU are both throttling, it might be due to lack of power so perhaps your power adapter is bad and it is not able to supply your computer with enough power. There could also be a problem with the power delivery circuits on your motherboard. For testing, try and find someone with a similar power adapter to see if it makes any difference.

Many manufacturers have shipped laptops with power adapters that are barely adequate. After a year or two, they might not able to fully power your laptop anymore.

ROG Member Array

Are you saying that the CPU runs at full speed when using ThrottleStop but the FPS are still dropping? It sounds like your GPU is also throttling. You could try running a log of your GPU using the GPU-Z program to confirm this. A GPU-Z log will show the MHz that the GPU is running at.

If CPU and GPU are both throttling, it might be due to lack of power so perhaps your power adapter is bad and it is not able to supply your computer with enough power. There could also be a problem with the power delivery circuits on your motherboard. For testing, try and find someone with a similar power adapter to see if it makes any difference.

Many manufacturers have shipped laptops with power adapters that are barely adequate. After a year or two, they might not able to fully power your laptop anymore.
    Now i cant understand a single thing
    1) about the logs in CPUZ, should i paste the whole report thing? (made one when i experience a drop and second when everything is ok)
    2) The strangest thing (screenshot attached). When i experience a drop (ths time it was with no apps opened, just desktop) my CPU goes to 798 (as mentioned above) BUT! GPU goes to 540/2505 and stays there no matter what. I tried to run witcher while in a drop - gpu clocks didnt change at all. Then, after unplugging clocked went back to normal (witcher was closed), and while i reopened Witcher3 i got the same 540/2505 but with no lags.
    P.S. ran GpuZ now so will have detailed logs now
    Miniatura de Adjuntos Miniatura de Adjuntos Clocks with drop 1.jpg  

ROG Member Array

Seems like i have found the problem.
    To everyone who has the same problem: check your processes (system ones).
    So i wanted to get confirmation using GPU-Z. So i opened it, opened CPU-Z, and opened task manager just in case, and sorted all processes by CPU usage (including system ones). So when *here comes the DROP* i noticed some suspicious sysem process *issch.exe* eating like 18% of CPU. Checked the place of this process and made some google search and found out that its a bitcoin miner. Just deleted it + cleared the task*insall shield update service* in windows scheduler. and it is ok for more than an hour now. Hope i wont see it again
    Just to make it clear: I had a feeling that it is a virus cause not long ago i was short of time and didnt check for viruses my USB card after i used it in the university, and then on another computer some viruses were found on it. Still I have updated Kaspersky installed and ran scans several times, i even used windows defender *live cd* to check the system. they didnt find anything.
    So be careful all and check your *appData* with your own eyes once in a while.
    P.S. Special thanks to unclewebb for trying to help me!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2