cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Games keep crashing after about 10 minutes of play

Ransak78
Level 7
Hey all,

I recently finished a new build and at first everything was great. Then suddenly a couple weeks later, out of nowhere most of my games started crashing after about 10 minutes of play.

Here are the specs:

Intel Core i5-6600k (OC to 4.4GHz)
16GB G Skill Ripjaws 5 3000
Asus Z170E Motherboard
Asus Strix GTX 1080 A8G
Windows 10 pro 64 bit
EVGA 650GQ PSU

So most games will run perfectly fine for about 10-20 minutes before the video just freezes. Sound and game control are still there though. I'm still able to alt tab out or pull up the task manager. But if I alt tab back in I get a black screen and a Windows message saying the application has crashed. Games like Shadow of Mordor, Fallout 4, Overwatch all crash. However I can play League of Legends and even Doom fine. Unigine Heaven also runs fine. I have tried everything I can think of. All my drivers are up to date. (Even used DDU to clean out nVidia drivers and reinstall.) I tried using an older driver from the Asus support page, same problem. I run all my games at max settings at 4k but I also tried 1080p at lowest settings, which I could play for a little longer (maybe 30 mins) but still crashed. I don't believe it is a heat issue but I'm no expert, my CPU doesn't go above 45 or so and my GPU maxes at around 75. I also used the built in Windows Memory checker and it said there are no problems. I am completely out of ideas at this point so any insight would be much appreciated. If you need more information I can provide it.

Thanks in advance
21 REPLIES 21

brkkab123
Level 7
Don't get your video card drivers from Asus. Get them from Nvidia. That's your issue right there. Get them at this link: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

brkkab123 wrote:
Don't get your video card drivers from Asus. Get them from Nvidia. That's your issue right there. Get them at this link: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

I have the latest one from Nvidia. I was just saying that I tried going back to an earlier version to see if that would change anything, which it didn't.

Nate152
Hi Ransak78

Try running your system at default settings and see if you still get the freezing, it's likely either your overclock is unstable or your ram needs some voltage adjustments.

Nate152 wrote:
Hi Ransak78

Try running your system at default settings and see if you still get the freezing, it's likely either your overclock is unstable or your ram needs some voltage adjustments.

Hi

I reset everything back to default in the bios and the problem persists. It seems like it freezes even quicker now, but that might just be me.
Also I don't know that much about RAM voltage. It's been on auto the whole time. How would I go about adjusting that in order to troubleshoot it?

Ransak78 wrote:
Hi

I reset everything back to default in the bios and the problem persists. It seems like it freezes even quicker now, but that might just be me.
Also I don't know that much about RAM voltage. It's been on auto the whole time. How would I go about adjusting that in order to troubleshoot it?

When you say "default" do you also mean no XMP profile selected, and that your RAM are running at 2133MHz?

Yes, XMP was off and RAM was running at 2133. Should I try stock CPU settings with XMP turned on?

hiong
Level 8
my best guess is your GPU. try underclocking it and run the same games that give you problems. if that distinctly gives better results, RMA your GPU.

I underclocked it as far as I could in GPU Tweak 2 and was able to get most of the way through a mission in Shadow of Mordor, maybe 15-20 minutes of play. At this point I've tried everything I can think of, I think I'm gonna RMA my card anyway. At least that way I can know if it is indeed a problem with the card right?

Nate152
Is the application crashing or the nvidia driver?

Run command prompt as an administrator and type in sfc /scannow and hit enter, leave a space between c and/ If there's anything missing it will attempt a fix.

You could also try reinstalling the latest nvidia driver 375.70 and do a custom (advanced) install, uncheck everything except the graphics driver and physx driver then check the only box that says perform a clean installation.

See if this helps at all.

I would think your gpu is ok if you can pass the Heaven benchmark.