cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750JM Graphics Card Upgrade Query

TheDragon
Level 7
Hi, I don't know if this is the correct place to put this.

I got a Asus (of course) G750JM laptop, is it possible to change the graphics card in it. If so wich one would you recommend. My budget is under 2000 NOK (roughly 241,6 USD), I want a graphics card that can run Skyrim Special Edition (I'm a gaming nerd )
Hope it is possible, and that you got some recommendations.
You are supposed to smear the cooling paste behind the CPU on the pins, right?
4 REPLIES 4

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Hi,

From what I can see it looks like the G750JM does have a removable graphics card module (which you may also want to double-check on your end), but if you didn't already know, ASUS does not have any graphics card upgrade options to suggest (which doesn't stop some people), so it probably will not be very easy to do if it is possible.

Not sure how relevant this really is, but there is a post below about upgrading the graphics card for a different ASUS notebook model if you want to get some idea what may be involved and you may be able to find other related posts if you haven't tried searching the ROG site or others.

Can I Upgrade G75VW to a 860m?

Hopefully others can provide more information. Thanks.

cl-Albert wrote:
Hi,

From what I can see it looks like the G750JM does have a removable graphics card module (which you may also want to double-check on your end), but if you didn't already know, ASUS does not have any graphics card upgrade options to suggest (which doesn't stop some people), so it probably will not be very easy to do if it is possible.

Not sure how relevant this really is, but there is a post below about upgrading the graphics card for a different ASUS notebook model if you want to get some idea what may be involved and you may be able to find other related posts if you haven't tried searching the ROG site or others.

Thanks 😄

TheDragon wrote:
Hi, I don't know if this is the correct place to put this.

I got a Asus (of course) G750JM laptop, is it possible to change the graphics card in it. If so wich one would you recommend. My budget is under 2000 NOK (roughly 241,6 USD), I want a graphics card that can run Skyrim Special Edition (I'm a gaming nerd )
Hope it is possible, and that you got some recommendations.

cl-Albert wrote:
Hi,

Very Important factours:
PSU
MXM type
GPU Heatsink + thermals
Bios

Just because it is a MXM, does not mean it will work - it can be very complex and time consuming trying to make it work.

Why do i say this, This is the current list of MXM types and sizes https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_PCI_Express_Module
You will need to find a card, which is the same type and size as your current MXM card. Your heatsink, will need to be compatible with any card you wish to install.

The card you wish to replace will need to work with your current bios - if it doesn't, it won't work. How do you overcome this, you would need a custom bios - Not easy. Modifying, a custom built heatsink is a lot of work. Heatsink example: O.E.M. A GPU vs O.E.M. B GPU, will not line up, due to unique internal layout. This can even, Apply for the same O.E.M. Models later down. so you will need to do a lot of home work on anycard you wish to install.

Thermals, if you have a card which has the maximum already installed in the laptop lets say a GPU of 50w TDP and want to install a 60w TDP - you are going to run into thermal issues - laptop x or y, was not made to support that. Will your PSU and motherboard, be able to support your proposed card, without capping it as well?

Important note: If your laptop is under a OEM warranty or even a third party - this could void it - you will need to check with them.
Not only that, you could even brick your laptop, if you make a mistake somewhere

TheDragon
Level 7
This is sort of relevant, but I got a motherboard from a Dell desktop (YC523, I think). Is this good? is it worth having or should I upgrade?
I'm trying to figure out what I should upgrade from my desktop DELL Dimension 9150

PS: If i can figure out how to put some photos out of the motherboard I can , so you guys can see it and help me figure out the name.