cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF8 does not boot to BIOS

AbyXzss
Level 7
Hi guys! I am a newbie here and this is my first time posting. I wrote a vey long email to Asus Support but for some reason it just wont send, Perhaps its because I am using a mobile browser and I am having a very hard time doing this so my sincere apologies to any auto correct wrong grammar's and spelling but let me just paste what I am supposed to email Asus support below:

"*ISSUE: will not boot to BIOS POST. No video signal on either Board or GPU direct. Q code 13 then chnges to 00 - 4C for sometime. Onboard LED showing RED cpu LED then will start to lit the DRAM LED with blinking ORANGE. After sometime the blinking orange turns solid orange with the solid red light for CPU gone. Tried the RAM on all RAM slots. Flashing the latest BIOS and even tried to flash the 1702 which is the BIOS revision the time board was bought. Reseated the CPU, cleared CMOS,Mem OK! Without avail. Booted the MoBo outside the casing using the original cardboard housing to isolate static or short circuit from MoBo to casing with the same issue. Consulted Retailer and they tested my RAM and CPU using their own MoBo and PSU and they worked. They checked the board quality, no scratches, no bent cpu pins or any signs of customer induced damaged. Clearly MoBo is not used for OC due to my CPU limitation. They declared that the MoBo is faulty and it needs to be returned forr replacement. The Mobo was functioning as expected for 3 months, used servo type voltage regulator to protect it and is used for only watching videos and moderate gaming average of 0-8 hours a day and I always unplug the AVR everytime I go to work or when I am I am not at home so power always zeroes out on my unit then power the avr up again everytime i use the PC.I will be asking follow up questions once I got your reply about this issue."

So that's what I supposed to send them, I am very depressed right now and it seems I will be out of PC use for two months since the turn around time given is 30-45 Business days. I am supposed to buy 1060 Strix and 6700k i7 during my Christmas pay bonus and now it seems they will be useless now since I am under the impression that the repaired or replacement Board will be after Christmas, worst? A week after new year.

G4400 Intel 3.3 ghz
8GB Kingston HyperX 2400 mhz
240GB HyperX SSD
Antec 620W PSU
H440 NZXT Razer Case
AMD R7 200 series GPU.**
12 REPLIES 12

Nate152
Hi AbyXzss

Welcome to the ROG forum.

Sorry to hear you're having issues with your motherboard. If the retailer tested it and they're saying it's faulty ask them if they can do an advanced RMA so you're not without a pc for so long.

Normally an RMA should only take about a week since they know what the problem is.

I'll forward this to an Asus administrator and see what he suggests, he may reply here or send you a Private Message.

Nate152 wrote:
Hi AbyXzss

Welcome to the ROG forum.

Sorry to hear you're having issues with your motherboard. If the retailer tested it and they're saying it's faulty ask them if they can do an advanced RMA so you're not without a pc for so long.

Normally an RMA should only take about a week since they know what the problem is.

I'll forward this to an Asus administrator and see what he suggests, he may reply here or send you a Private Message.

Thanks for your urgent response Nate but I forgot to mention that I am from the Philippines. Normally, the extensive turn around time is acceptable here in our country or maybe we are just used to it already. I am can live with it to be honest. I will just purchase a temporary asus MoBo, the cheapest one I can find so that I can have a running PC at the time being. My main concern here is that the retailer said that it could be repaired or replaced but for high end MoBo's the service center will most likely replace it which is logical to isolate any other underlying issues that may manifest in the near future due to unforseen damage on the circuitry that may jump from one issue to another that will manifest overtime so the standard wear and tear process is hastened here. However, they again told me that the replacement could be refurbished and that is where I got agitated because Ived read from forums that they receive faulty replacements and has cosmetic damages. So I cannot Imagine that my premium product that I took cared of very much will be replaced with something refurbished that no one knows when it might break again or that has scratches on the ROG armor which is the very main reason I bought this board due to its sexy look. I might be over reacting ahead but the retailer quoted "based on their experience from other replacements for Asus Boards" . So its safe to assume that there is a 50/50 chance that I will get a bad replacement. This greatly depends on the people working at the quality control for replacement products. It's great to know that you are using this kind of board, if you do mot mind me asking,How many months already are you running the board w/o issues? Because i have researched from any forums and reviews of the product and it seems this is a common problem. So there could be a flaw on this model since all are made from the same standards. Countless people out there are having multiple RMA's of this problem and even here in our very own forums, people are getting the same exact issue. I can live with multiple replacement until I get a good one "hopefully". But what I am afraid is that the warranty will ran out then the lenght of time rendered for RMA is greater than the product being used.

Bahz
Level 12
Sorry to hear about the issue and I understand your concern, however every user must follow the same RMA procedure if there's an issue with a product. What you can do is send back the unit for RMA and please ask the retailer if they're helping you send back the motherboard for RMA to provide you with the RMA# from distributor. I can only help follow up on the case if I have the RMA#. Please pass me the RMA# by private message and I'll follow up on the case internally.

Thanks,
Bahz

Bahz wrote:
Sorry to hear about the issue and I understand your concern, however every user must follow the same RMA procedure if there's an issue with a product. What you can do is send back the unit for RMA and please ask the retailer if they're helping you send back the motherboard for RMA to provide you with the RMA# from distributor. I can only help follow up on the case if I have the RMA#. Please pass me the RMA# by private message and I'll follow up on the case internally.

Thanks,
Bahz

Thanks Bahz, I am grateful on how fast the support ongoing on ROG forums. The level of support I got here is top grade. Despite the issues I am having , I still love Asus and I am a great fan of its products. Nate who fowarded my case to you is doing a very good job as well and is very passionate about it. Keep it up guys!!!

I will surely forward it ASAP. I called the retailer and they already sent it back to the distributor. I am not sure though as to when the RMA# will be generated. I tried calling the distributor and it seems that the person in charge is on leave until the 7th of this month. But that's fine, I am less worried now due to the outstanding support you guys are giving on this case. I will gladly wait and see how this goes smoothly with your help.

BestRegards,
Chris*

Nate152
Well I'm not sure how long the warranty is with your retailer but Asus gives a 3-year warranty on their motherboards and that's the way it is here in the u.s. too, when you do an RMA you'll rarely get a brand new board back but you can be sure it will be a working one. I sent this to a forum administrator so if you have any problems at all with your replacement board come back here and let us know.

I've had my maximus viii formula since late january/early february and I haven't had a single problem with it, I have my 6700k overclocked to 4.75GHz 24/7. I have nothing but good things to say about it, I'm even using the crosschill block.

A bunch of pics in this thread.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?82540-Maximus-VIII-Formula

Nate152 wrote:
Well I'm not sure how long the warranty is with your retailer but Asus gives a 3-year warranty on their motherboards and that's the way it is here in the u.s. too, when you do an RMA you'll rarely get a brand new board back but you can be sure it will be a working one. I sent this to a forum administrator so if you have any problems at all with your replacement board come back here and let us know.

I've had my maximus viii formula since late january/early february and I haven't had a single problem with it, I have my 6700k overclocked to 4.75GHz 24/7. I have nothing but good things to say about it, I'm even using the crosschill block.

A bunch of pics in this thread.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?82540-Maximus-VIII-Formula

Wow! Cool rig and set up you got there Nate, I will surely catch up once I got my replacement back. I already got a message from Bahz and is helping me now on this case. Do you think that unpluging AVR from the power source everytime the PC is not used caused the issue? I did not consider this possibility until *I crossed with someone on another forum with Crosshair Formula V that manifest the same exact sysmptoms of my issue. He specified that he always unplug the PC on a daily basis before going to work and the time he plugs it back and turn it on it does not boot at first and is stuck on POST and is resolved by pressing the reset button and he noticed that only happens every time the PC is unplugged then it came from the point that it never booted to BIOS at all. This is the same exact issue and experience I am having. I am not sure though, I just brought this up so that other people who has the same issue can confirm and might help them conclude as to what troubleshooting they will follow to save their time and effort or they have solution for this to prevent this from happening again.*

Nate152
I wouldn't think unplugging your pc would cause the motherboard to fail, I usually let the psu switch on after shutting down my pc.

Let us know how it's going when you get your motherboard replacement.

Nate152 wrote:
I wouldn't think unplugging your pc would cause the motherboard to fail, I usually let the psu switch on after shutting down my pc.

Let us know how it's going when you get your motherboard replacement.

I have the same exact sign and symptom's as what MightyMo's posted
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?88140-Cold-boot-issues-on-new-build-please-advise!

With his experience and from other's that I have read outside the ROG forum, I can logically conclude that has to be where the problem started that caused the MoBo to malfunction. It started with some cold boot issues at first where it can be resolved by simply resetting the unit, Sometimes it will boot on desktop but will not load basic drivers and will just end up freezing then a restart is necessary until it boots from BIOS to desktop just fine until it reached to the point where it does not boot anymore even on BIOS.

Since you left your PSU ON even while the PC has been shut down then it shows that you are not having the same issue that we are having. If you shutdown the PC with the PSU turned on, then there will be a standby power running on the system and what I think the problem was on how we use the unit is where the unit is always power drained and every time the PSU is turned off and on, It will create a high surge of electrical current on its first few seconds after is turned ON and will basically hasten the wear and tear process of the capacitors for the MoBo or damage sensitive IC's on the board overtime. I am not really sure, It is just a theory though.

Anyway's I just bought an Asus H110M- D as a temporary board while my MF8 is being sent for RMA, And once I got the replacement. I will report back and ask some tips from you on BIOS settings like fast boot and stuff's since I hurd there was an issue about fast boot being enabled. And definitely, I will left my PSU ON onwards once I got the replacement 🙂

Nate152
Cool, at least you have a pc until you get your formula back, and sure please ask all the questions you may have.