cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Asus Maximus VIII Hero high CPU voltage on stock

kiki456
Level 7
Hi all,

Today i noticed my cpu voltage on i7 6700K Skylake on stock is 1.44v 4.2Ghz on full load.

Is it normally?
Tnx.
9 REPLIES 9

etorphine
Level 7
kiki456 wrote:
Hi all,

Today i noticed my cpu voltage on i7 6700K Skylake on stock is 1.44v 4.2Ghz on full load.

Is it normally?
Tnx.

It is not normal because u will get high temps . I have same problem with my ranger VIII . on i7 6700k on stock I get 1.394 v full load with 4.2 ghz

ı am looking for a solution too

Hi, this is my temp in full load aida stress test.
Is it high temp?

kiki456 wrote:
Hi, this is my temp in full load aida stress test.
Is it high temp?

How long did you run the test for? The screenshot is only at five minutes. When I tested mine with OCCT the test shut down after 20 minutes, reaching a temperature of 94 °C!

After undervolting my CPU in a not very skillfull way (no idea what I'm doing), I got it to hover between 71-75 °C at full load so if that's what yours is at after 30 minutes at full load then I'd say it's okay although it's on the edge. It may overheat if the ambient temperature rises however.

Legolas
Level 9
Hello Kiki456,

Go to BIOS -> Extreme Tweaker -> CPU Core/Cache Voltage -> Auto or manual and set to 1.136
Check this out for learning about Skylake power consumption and voltage scaling
Sincerely,
Legolas

Hi Legolas,

Can I change voltage on auto? I don't understand difference auto and manual if I can change auto voltage.

Is it need change voltage on cpu cache voltage, cpu agent voltage?

I have corsair memory and I have plan turn on XMP to 3466Mhz, is it ok if I reduce voltage?

Tnx.

Youngevans
Level 7
kiki456 wrote:
Hi all,

Is it normally?
Tnx.

Hi fella, this is a common however big problem with asus z170 boards, i am facing the exact problem and with me setting voltages manually doest not work i mean motherboard does not pick the voltages i set. The danger is the safe voltage range for skylake is 1.345. 1.44 is extremely high and may degrade ur cpu in a short while, reduce the life span or even damage ur cpu. I hv read many people with the same problem and am no exception. Asus gotta provide a quick solution to this asap.
young3vans

Nate152
1.52v is the max safe voltage stated by Intel as long as temps are ok.

6700k - 4.8GHz - 1.504v

Kenrou
Level 8
"Asus and Intel documents recommended a maximum of 1.45V" - http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/overclocking-intel-core-i7-6700k/

That said it IS a recommendation and the absolute maximum is 1.52v in the paperwork as Nate152 stated. Personally i would not go above 1.45v even if i had the best AIO in the market, i would instead use something like custom water, Dice, LN2.
CPU: i7-6700k @4.7ghz
Cooler: Noctua NH-D15
GPU: Strix 980ti OC

RAM: 2x 8GB Ripjaws V 3200mhz C14
Motherboard: Maximus VIII Hero

SSD: 2x Samsung 850 EVO 250gb
HDD: 1x WD Black 4TB
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W Gold
CASE: Fractal Define R5 Black

Hello,

I think I'm having the same issue. I had a Corsair GTX H110i installed, dust free and fresh thermal paste.

I'm setting fans to 100% and start a video convert task (which takes about 2 hours). Within 10 minutes I'm hitting 80C and it keeps increasing slowly up to 90C and I had to stop the task. So basically I can't do my daily tasks on my computer any more. I've contacted Corsair they said send your cooler back maybe it's faulty, I'll send it tomorrow.

However! As I'm reading here I just realised that I've started having this overheating issue since I've upgraded BIOS from 1701 to 2202. I don't remember having the same problem when I was on 1701.

I will downgrade tonight and see if it will make any difference.