cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Noisy water cooler fans.

FonzieBulldog
Level 9
Have two computers there one is a updated G20CB with GTX 1080 and i7-6700K who runs with Asus original two small fans in this box.Really quiet for sure.The other one is the home built Bulldog with MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X and a i7-6700K who runs at 4.6Ghz.The water cooler in form of a Corsair Hydro H80i V2 holds everything on a low temp but the fans sounds really tiring even at the silent mode there they go up and down depending on the heat.If i set it in game / heavy mode it sounds like an airport in my living room !?.Is this actually how a water cooler works or is there a way to get it some quieter.
6 REPLIES 6

We_Gone
Level 8
You may need to run a larger radiator so it will cool better with lower air flow. I run a dual 120 and unless I'm stress testing I only run the fans on low or not at all. I7-6700@ 4.5, Idle stays at room temp gaming never over 40c no fans.
I go back to the 8088 days.... Asus MB's, P5N32-E SLI Q6600, Rampage Formula X48 still running @ 3.5, Maximus VIII Hero Alpha.

Yeah, maybe have to try out a bigger radiator if i get enough tired of the fan noise one day.Thanks for the reply. 🙂

I ran a H100i temporarily on my Rig when I was making sure that the new components were all good before fitting the Monoblock and entering an RMA nightmare..

I found that plugging the PWM fans into the motherboard PWM header, instead of the Corsair one gave much better results. Make sure the fan headers are configured to run in PWM mode, obviously.
Gotterdammerung: Rampage V Extreme | Intel I7-5930K | 32GB Corsair Dominator 2666 | EVGA GTX 980 SC x3
Kingston HyperX Predator 480GB | Corsair Neutron XT 960GB | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair 900D | EK RVE Monoblock | EK 980 GTX Blocks

GOOSE: STRIX Z390I Gaming | Intel i9-9900KF | 32GB Vengeance RGB 3200 | STRIX Vega 64 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB x2
Corsair SF 750 | Phanteks Evolv Shift X | EK Z390I Monoblock | EK Strix Vega 64 GPU Block

quark54
Level 8
Or better still....

Ditch the AIO water cooler and get a Noctua NH-D15S. Whisper quiet and cools my 6700K at 4.6 GHz with ease. Core temps running RealBench are 75 degrees. and the ambient temp was high the day when tested. I reacll 25C. Very cool in games, so much so the PWM fan hardly needs to ramp up.

It has only one fan, but a second fan reduces temp by only 2 degrees, same for the NH-D15/14. Clips are provided if you're insistent on a second fan.

This is the "S" variant, the high compatibility version for much better RAM compatibility and offset slightly for more space between graphics card and cooler.

And don't let anyone tell you the weight is an issue... it's nonsense. The D15S's dynamic load is lower than Intel's stated max for Skylake. Static load is higher by design, to improve cooling, but not an issue. The SecuFirm 2 mounting system is the best in the business.

I'm not serious when I tell you to "ditch your AIO cooler" of course, just trying to highlight how there is an alternative to AIO that does everything you desire.

Thanks for the replies.Will try to change the fan connections to the motherboard instead of the Corsair connections.Or i maybe have to try out the Cooler Master again who i have lying around somewhere. 🙂

FonzieBulldog wrote:
Thanks for the replies.Will try to change the fan connections to the motherboard instead of the Corsair connections.Or i maybe have to try out the Cooler Master again who i have lying around somewhere. 🙂

Hi FonzieBulldog,
Did you try changing the fan speed in Corsair Link software? If you have it, open, go to Configure, double click on the Corsair FAN image, and change the mode to Balance or Performance (if it was max) and your fan speed will not as noisy. You can even change it to quiet (for silent mode)
Sincerely,
Legolas