cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to boot of PROPER-WORKING OS-Install-USB Sticks

DeadSix27
Level 7
Got a Maximus VIII Hero with BIOS 2202

No matter which OS I write onto my many USB sticks (USB3.0 and 2.0) Linux or Windows

I'm unable to boot of them. I made them using Rufus and they are proper UEFI Usb sticks.

They worked before.. back on older BIOSes something must have been changed since then and I just can't figure it out.

I tried disabling secure boot, which isn't even an option, it just says Enabled and is grayed out-unable to change.

I disabled CSM, no luck, I reset my CMOS in hope whatever option was enabled prevents boot of USB sticks, no luck either.

So ye, no idea what to do, anyone experienced this or has any clues?

I did once get Windows 10 to install of a USB stick on the very same BIOS version, but I can't reproduce the steps that made it work, I think a plain CMOS reset suddendly made it work, now it doesn't anymore....

PS: The usb sticks work fine on my Laptop and on my NUC. So its DEFINITELY not them.

Both those pcs (Nuc,laptop) have UEFI and Secure boot enabled, as well as CSM.
11 REPLIES 11

Firehand
Level 7
I just installed win10 on the ssd and kubuntu on the second HDD. Same BIOS and motherboard. Try with F8 to open the boot menu and select your usb stick.

Firehand wrote:
I just installed win10 on the ssd and kubuntu on the second HDD. Same BIOS and motherboard. Try with F8 to open the boot menu and select your usb stick.

Already tried.. black screen, changes resolution then goes into BIOS, same as when I select it in the BIOS, no matter if I select UEFI: or non UEFI mode.

Also, ISOS are fine, tried various linux Distros, from a plain Arch iso to a ubuntu server iso, none boot. I tried every usb port I have, I even tried a Internal USB header with an adapter (not that it would make any difference to using the front I/O ones) I also tried a External HDD just to be sure, doesnt work either.

I'm clueless.

The first thing i did when assembled my pc was to flash the last bios from usb with the button on the backplate. Do it again, download the bios and reflash it. It might help.*

Chino
Level 15
DeadSix27 wrote:
Got a Maximus VIII Hero with BIOS 2202

No matter which OS I write onto my many USB sticks (USB3.0 and 2.0) Linux or Windows

I'm unable to boot of them. I made them using Rufus and they are proper UEFI Usb sticks.

They worked before.. back on older BIOSes something must have been changed since then and I just can't figure it out.

I tried disabling secure boot, which isn't even an option, it just says Enabled and is grayed out-unable to change.

I disabled CSM, no luck, I reset my CMOS in hope whatever option was enabled prevents boot of USB sticks, no luck either.

So ye, no idea what to do, anyone experienced this or has any clues?

I did once get Windows 10 to install of a USB stick on the very same BIOS version, but I can't reproduce the steps that made it work, I think a plain CMOS reset suddendly made it work, now it doesn't anymore....

PS: The usb sticks work fine on my Laptop and on my NUC. So its DEFINITELY not them.

Both those pcs (Nuc,laptop) have UEFI and Secure boot enabled, as well as CSM.

Clear your CMOS. Then install Windows in UEFI mode.

Also do you have a screen of the settings you're using in RUFUS?

Chino wrote:
Clear your CMOS. Then install Windows in UEFI mode.

Also do you have a screen of the settings you're using in RUFUS?

Default ones, FAT32 on various usb sticks with GPT for UEFI, the right ones.

Resetting CMOS doesn't help, as i stated in the Original post.

Chino wrote:
Post a screenshot if you can.

Download rufus and then set the first option below USB stick selection to GPT .
Thats the settings I use.

In other words, the usb stick is fine, it works on now 4 different systems, including another ASUS one.

What I suspect is that it has something to do with SecureBoot. But the BIOS Settings for that are even for me really confusing, I'm unsure as to how to actually fully disable that to see if that makes it work.

DeadSix27 wrote:
Download rufus and then set the first option below USB stick selection to GPT .
Thats the settings I use.

Redo your USB stick. Use the default MBR partition scheme for BIOS or UEFI setting instead. Then clear your CMOS to bring whatever options you've been fiddling with back to stock defaults. Then proceed to install Windows in UEFI mode.

hiong
Level 8
probably doesn't amount to anything, have you tried all the USB ports?