cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751jy 2.5", 15mm (height) hdd size question

arpeszkiss
Level 7
Hello!

I want to buy a 4TB notebook HDD into my Asus G751JY.
I find this modell: Seagate ST4000LM016 4TB 2,5" HDD which would obviously work with my notebook if i use UEFI-GPT.
BUT i'm worry about the size of this HDD. It's only 2,5" but the height of this modell is 15mm.

What do you think : is there any chance it will fit in?

I could also buy an optibay like this: linkif it would be fit there.

Any suggestion?
5 REPLIES 5

sa_stilom
Level 7
arpeszkiss wrote:
Hello!

I find this modell: Seagate ST4000LM016 4TB 2,5" HDD which would obviously work with my notebook if i use UEFI-GPT.
BUT i'm worry about the size of this HDD. It's only 2,5" but the height of this modell is 15mm.

What do you think : is there any chance it will fit in?

Any suggestion?

Have you find out the answer, I'm looking for 4TB or even 5TB as well, 15mm.

Sargatanas
Level 7
Just checked - won't fit at all!
I use a 2tb Samsung Spinpoint M9T (maybe will be changed to a Seagate Firecuda). Height 9,5 cm I'd say there is like 1mm left from HDD to expansion bay.

The 11mm = top of HDD caddy and bottom of expansion bay.

I didn't checked the Bluray drive but I doubt that it will fit a 15mm drive - guess it won't - the BD drive is 9,5mm

sa_stilom
Level 7
It won't fit ODD, that's for sure, since ODD itself is 9.5 mm as you said.
But thank you for measuring it, it helps a lot in future planing of expansion. I'll go buying then probably external Thunderbolt HDD or 4TB SSD.

I'm wondering, on your first picture, you have m.2 SSD and what's that on the right side (also Samsung something?)

Sargatanas
Level 7
Yea - There is another thread concerning this. The Sata port is fully working @ Sata-3 but you won't be able to install a drive (SSD) including the enclosure.

This is a 250gb Samsung EVO 850. The 500gb one has a larger PCB so I decided to buy the small one.
I modded my SSD/HDD Caddy, installed some kind of motherboard spacer and mounted it.
Other ppl mounted the PCB with tape to ensure the connection. I dont know, might be that there are SSD with this size and more GB 🙂

EDIT: just found it
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?58104-How-to-add-a-4th-drive-to-your-G751&highlight=g751+d...
I didn't like the overlay and taping so I kept the 250gb one with the smaller form factor 🙂

Clintlgm
Level 14
arpeszkiss wrote:
Hello!

What do you think : is there any chance it will fit in

Any suggestion?

Maximum Hight is 9.5 so no that 15mm drive will not fit I believe the largest available currently is 2 TB 2.5 x 9.5

I use these external WD passports on USB 3.0 there just as fast externally as they are internally.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro