cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rog maximus viii formula setting too high voltages and ignoring manual voltage

Youngevans
Level 7
I purchased a rog maximus viii formula motherboard from Amazon with 1701 x64 bios version and i hv installed an i7 6700k cpu and installed win 10 x64 in uefi mode on pny ssd 240gb. my problem is with bios default and everything deafult, voltages in idle is 0.801 and voltagee under load is as high as 1.424 (outrageous right?) temperatures fractuates within 65 - 90 degrees even though am using an aio 240mm liquid cooler. My measurement was done by rog's own cpu z that came with the board, hwmonitor and aida 64. I tried to remedy this by setting the voltage to manual mode and then inputting 1.225 - 1.300 but whenever i set a voltage, save and exit i boot back into bios only to see the voltage against "manual input voltage" still different from the voltages i put even though the voltage i wrote will still be there, and that voltage is the same as the voltage reporting at the right side with the temperatures and co but not what i input manually. And when i ignore this and boot into windows, and run the*tests again, voltages under idle mode is 0.801 amd under load is 1.399 - 1.424 still. It has simply ignored the manual voltage i set. Is it a problem with the motherboard or the cpu? And dont forget in skylake, FIVR (voltage regulation) is controlled by the motherboard. This is like a nightmare and need help asap
young3vans
6 REPLIES 6

ondersma80
Level 7
Welcome.

Slightly high voltages on a new build is a challenge, not really a nightmare. Waking up and finding a flesh eating virus (much more scary then bacteria) has broken out across the planet is a nightmare. Good news is 1.42 isn't going to hurt your CPU unless you start stressing it for long periods of time with poor cooling.

I have seen several users report this on brand new boards. Just clear the board CMOS or update to the latest UEFI/BIOS release. The goal is fully clearing the motherboard settings then you should be all set. Also be sure that you are checking voltages in Windows with only diagnostic program at a time. Checking with program A with program B running in the background can cause false readings.

ondersma80 wrote:
Welcome.

Slightly high voltages on a new build is a challenge, not really a nightmare. Waking up and finding a flesh eating virus (much more scary then bacteria) has broken out across the planet is a nightmare. Good news is 1.42 isn't going to hurt your CPU unless you start stressing it for long periods of time with poor cooling.

I have seen several users report this on brand new boards. Just clear the board CMOS or update to the latest UEFI/BIOS release. The goal is fully clearing the motherboard settings then you should be all set. Also be sure that you are checking voltages in Windows with only diagnostic program at a time. Checking with program A with program B running in the background can cause false readings.

Well noted, but i dont think 1.42 *at a stock speed of 4.2ghz is safe at all nor good when most are getting 1.2... on stock speeds. If you take a look at my rig, you'll not need to be told what i use it for, obviously gaming and you hv to note that gaming takes more time than listening to music. Nevertheless ill update my bios and let u know the outcome
young3vans

Nate152
Hi Youngevans

Welcome to the ROG forum.

It's normal for your cpu to get overvolted with the voltage on auto, on the extreme tweaker tab try this:

Scroll down to cpu core/cache voltage and set it to adaptive and enter in 1.20v in the "Additional Turbo Mode cpu core voltage", F10 and Enter to save and Exit.

Run a test and see what the voltage is drawing, however much it's going over 1.20v set that as an offset. For example if your cpu is drawing 1.244v during the test go back into the bios and set a negative offset of -0.044v, this should keep you at or very close to 1.20v.

Let us know how this works for you.

Nate152 wrote:
Hi Youngevans

Welcome to the ROG forum.

It's normal for your cpu to get overvolted with the voltage on auto, on the extreme tweaker tab try this:

Scroll down to cpu core/cache voltage and set it to adaptive and enter in 1.20v in the "Additional Turbo Mode cpu core voltage", F10 and Enter to save and Exit.

Run a test and see what the voltage is drawing, however much it's going over 1.20v set that as an offset. For example if your cpu is drawing 1.244v during the test go back into the bios and set a negative offset of -0.044v, this should keep you at or very close to 1.20v.

Let us know how this works for you.

Thanks Nate, ill update you soon after.
young3vans

JustinThyme
Level 13
This is why I ditched the AI suite 5 way optimization. Came back with 4.3GHz OC and set the CPU to 1.42V. Dont get it but that seems to be what happened no matter what when you allow the CPU volts to auto. Went back to BIOs, F5 for defaults then everything entered manually.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Youngevans
Level 7
Youngevans wrote:
I purchased a rog maximus viii formula motherboard from Amazon with 1701 x64 bios version and i hv installed an i7 6700k cpu and installed win 10 x64 in uefi mode on pny ssd 240gb. my problem is with bios default and everything deafult, voltages in idle is 0.801 and voltagee under load is as high as 1.424 (outrageous right?) temperatures fractuates within 65 - 90 degrees even though am using an aio 240mm liquid cooler. My measurement was done by rog's own cpu z that came with the board, hwmonitor and aida 64. I tried to remedy this by setting the voltage to manual mode and then inputting 1.225 - 1.300 but whenever i set a voltage, save and exit i boot back into bios only to see the voltage against "manual input voltage" still different from the voltages i put even though the voltage i wrote will still be there, and that voltage is the same as the voltage reporting at the right side with the temperatures and co but not what i input manually. And when i ignore this and boot into windows, and run the*tests again, voltages under idle mode is 0.801 amd under load is 1.399 - 1.424 still. It has simply ignored the manual voltage i set. Is it a problem with the motherboard or the cpu? And dont forget in skylake, FIVR (voltage regulation) is controlled by the motherboard. This is like a nightmare and need help asap

In regards to the above post, fisrt of all sorry for not updating the mobo's bios as instructed by Nate, it was due to some circumstances however, I cleared the bios as required by ondersma80 but it couldn't help. So i my new cpu came down few days ago for the previous one was a used one from a friend. So when i installed the new cpu the case has been different, with stock settings, the vcore in idle is as usual 0.800v and under load (stress testing) is 1.234 - 1.267 and never get beyond 1.3v. I think am good with that and will welcome some advices on overclocking. Am not new to overclocking but this is my first asus mobo however. Thanks
young3vans