cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage III GENE compatible video cards?

sehlat
Level 10
I'm still using an older system with an ASUS Rampage III GENE motherboard currently running an Nvidia EVGA GTX 680 4G video card and a Samsung 850EVO SSD for the OS drive. I know, the motherboard is ancient, but it's still running Windows 7 64bit right now and I want to keep it going for a while. I'm even able to play HITMAN, but at the lowest settings. What I'd like to know is what are my options for upgrading to a faster video card right now and what cards are compatible with this old of a motherboard? I also want to stick with Nvidia for the graphics, preferably EVGA. I don't want to spend a lot of money on this system either, but I'd like to be able to play at a reasonable frame rate at 1920X1200 for some of the newer games coming out. As a side note, I've never flashed the bios to the newest version, so would that have to be done as well? Thanks.
8 REPLIES 8

sehlat
Level 10
Anyone?

Right now, what I'd like to know is do I have to flash my BIOS to the latest version just to install a newer Nvidia GTX 1070, or even a GTX 980ti? The card I currently have installed is a GTX 680, which works just fine, except for the newer games coming out. I even installed an SSD as my OS drive without having to change the BIOS version and that was in 2014. My current BIOS revision is 0501 and I'm really hesitant to flash to the newest version, 1003, because I've never done this before and I don't want to risk bricking my motherboard out of my own incompetence. If I do have to flash to the newest version, I do know that I can use EZ Flash within the BIOS, but how does one keep track of every BIOS setting that may need to be reset if the defaults are restored during the process? Any help would be much appreciated.

Nate152
Hi sehlat

You don't have to flash your bios to install a new graphics card and the ROG Strix 1070 would be a great choice, you could play any game with the highest settings at 1920 x 1200.

What cpu do you have? You'll want to overclock it to the max to get the most out of the ROG Strix 1070.

Nate152 wrote:
Hi sehlat

You don't have to flash your bios to install a new graphics card and the ROG Strix 1070 would be a great choice, you could play any game with the highest settings at 1920 x 1200.

What cpu do you have? You'll want to overclock it to the max to get the most out of the ROG Strix 1070.

Thank you so much. 😮 I was really nervous about having to flash the BIOS since the motherboard has been so stable all these years. I'll probably have to overclock my CPU as you noted because it's a i7 960 3.2 GHz Intel chip, getting a little old, but still very functional. Besides, I only have the money for a new graphics card right now. I'll also take a look at the ROG Strix 1070 when I shop around.

Nate152

Heini
Level 11
sehlat wrote:
I'm even able to play HITMAN, but at the lowest settings. Thanks.
Replied to you question on another forum but I'd like to say that it's good to see another Hitman. I've been playing the series since day one.

sehlat
Level 10
Nate152, the card looks really nice. I like the glowing ROG eye. I've also been playing HITMAN on my GTX 680. The settings pretty much have to be at rock bottom, but hey, it works at a reasonable frame rate (some stuttering) and still looks fine. I'm even forcing the game to my native resolution of 1920X1200 and the card still keeps up. I'll bet HITMAN looks even better on a high end graphics card like a 1070. That GTX 680 I bought a few years ago was quite an improvement from the GTX 480 noisy-as-a-vacuum-cleaner and hot-as-the-sun graphics card that came with my system. I hated that card. It was running up into the high 80's, sometimes hitting 90c under load and I couldn't hear squat in any of my games. How hot does the 1070 run under load with no overclocking?

Heini, I asked you a separate question about flashing the BIOS on the other forum, so I'll ask here in case either you or someone else here can help. How does a user keep track of all the original BIOS settings? Is there an easy way to record them so that a user can refer back to them when needed? A camera taking screen shots for crying out loud? When using EZ Flash, it says to reset the settings to "default" when exiting the program, according to the instructions. Well, I'm guessing the defaults are a little different from what my system was set up with when it was built. How do you keep track of all the settings BEFORE flashing the BIOS? There's a mind-boggling number of settings to keep track of if you go through the BIOS page by page and I want to make sure things are set back when I'm done. You can tell I've never done this before. 😮

Nate152
The ROG Strix 1070 runs nice and cool, overclocked to the max I haven't seen it go over 65c and usually stays around 61c, this is due to Asus's DirectCU III cooling which runs the gpu 30% cooler than reference models.

You can just write down the settings you change if you can't remember them, I disable a few things and change some things when overclocking but most settings I let on auto.

All you really need to do is enable XMP then overclock your cpu.

sehlat
Level 10
Thanks Nate12. Good to know about enabling XMP. 🙂