ROG Guru: White Belt Array Zero.exe's Avatar

SLI + Physx question

Hey all,

Quick PC Setup for reference:
    -Asus Maximus VI Hero
    -i7 4770k
    -1000 Watt Gold PSU

So I have two Asus GTX 770 2gb non-reference Graphics cards. I Would like to run them in SLI on my M-VI Hero board. I was wondering, If I were to pick up a cheap GTX card to run as a physx card, would that help increase fps? Is it possible to run another card on the same mobo that already has two cards in sli?

Thanks for your input.
    "Did anyone else make it? ... Just Dust and Echoes"

Moderator Array

Hi there,

It will only help when the GTX card dedicate for PHYSX can handle the PHYSX calculations thrown at it.
    Interesting finds here: http://www.technologyx.com/featured/...ficial-or-not/

Yes, you can have two cards in SLI plus another card solely for PHYSX.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero.exe View Post
    Hey all,

Quick PC Setup for reference:
    -Asus Maximus VI Hero
    -i7 4770k
    -1000 Watt Gold PSU

So I have two Asus GTX 770 2gb non-reference Graphics cards. I Would like to run them in SLI on my M-VI Hero board. I was wondering, If I were to pick up a cheap GTX card to run as a physx card, would that help increase fps? Is it possible to run another card on the same mobo that already has two cards in sli?

Thanks for your input.

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array Korth PC Specs
    Korth PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS X99 R5E (BIOS2101/1902)
    ProcessorHaswell-EP E5-1680-3 SR20H/R2 (4.4GHz)
    Memory (part number)Vengeance LPX 4x8GB SS DDR4-3000 (CMK32GX4M4C3000C15)
    Graphics Card #1NVIDIA Quadro GP100GL/16GB, 16xPCIe3, NVLink1 (SLI-HB)
    Graphics Card #2NVIDIA Quadro GP100GL/16GB, 16xPCIe3, NVLink1 (SLI-HB)
    Sound CardJDS Labs O2+ODAC (RevB), USB2 UAC1
    MonitorASUS PG278Q
    Storage #1Samsung 850 PRO 512GB SSDs, 4xSATA3 RAID0
    Storage #2Comay BladeDrive E28 3200GB SSD, 8xPCIe2
    CPU CoolerRaijintek NEMESIS/TISIS, AS5, 2xNH-A14
    CaseObsidian 750D (original), 6xNH-A14
    Power SupplyZalman/FSP ZM1250 Platinum
    Headset Pilot P51 PTT *modded*
    OS Arch, Gentoo, Win7x64, Win10x64
    Network RouterActiontec T3200M VDSL2 Gateway
    Accessory #1 TP-Link AC1900 Archer T9E, 1xPCIe
    Accessory #2 ASUS/Infineon SLB9635 TPM (TT1.2/FW3.19)
    Accessory #3 ASUS OC Panel I (FW0501)

Here's another excellent PhysX article.

A dedicated PhysX card will rarely increase peak/average FPS - it will usually "smooth" out FPS rate stuttering and reduce the impact of FPS "dips" during sustained heavy GPU loading - and only when sheer quantity of complex object/motion/collision calculations outweighs rendering calculations. Few games benefit from PhysX, and very few of these optimize coding for PhysX well enough to make a substantial difference.

You'll get best PhysX results with a third 2GB GTX770, on a few games. Mismatched SLI/PhysX cards will actually diminish your overall FPS, on most games.

To be honest, I think a single used 4GB GTX980 or a pair of used 2GB GTX960 cards would a better investment than a third 2GB GTX770 - unless you can pick one up cheap and/or you happen to be playing game titles which will benefit greatly from PhysX.

Don't forget that your PSU needs to be able to handle all cards. Reference GTX770 card specs are 230W each, nonreference ASUS GTX770-DC2OC-2GD5 card spec are "up to 300W" each. GTX770 cards have one (75W) 6-pin and one (150W) 8-pin power input which (along with 75W from the PCIE slot) can provide a maximum of 300W. That's 900W of PSU (with some compatible combination of six 6-, 8-, or 6+2-pin PCIE power outputs) for the three graphics cards alone, and the MAXIMUS VI HERO User Manual suggests 350W+ minimum for the system, so I think a total of 1250W+ PSU is required - especially if you're running your system heavy or overclocking anything.

And your PhysX card would need to be plugged into your Maximus VI HERO's black PCIE slot. A double-width GPU card would overhang the bottom edge of the mobo, there might not be enough space (or slot holes) to fit it into every ATX PC chassis - you could use PCIE slot risers/extenders if truly desperate, although they'd add signal latencies which would work against performance gained from this card, so a bigger (full-EATX) case would be a better solution.