Page 33 of 71 FirstFirst ... 23 31 32 33 34 35 43 ... LastLast
    ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by Bahz View Post
    BIOS 301 is now available that further reduces the performance issue with BIOS 300, please try it out and provide feedback here in this thread on how it's working out for you. Thanks.

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/...468.1489372560
    I can confirm that the problem has NOT been fixed in BIOS 301. I came in late from work tonight and did some testing.

Please ASUS fix this issue properly, or explain why it isn't fixable. We need an honest explanation. I'm not a beta tester any longer.

The only way I can avoid the problem is to do the undervolt work-around.

ROG Member Array

BIOS 301 is now available that further reduces the performance issue with BIOS 300, please try it out and provide feedback here in this thread on how it's working out for you. Thanks.

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/...468.1489372560
    Hello Bahz,

I updated the BIOS and the problem still happening.

Do you know what could be the next steps?

ROG Member Array jerrysandholm PC Specs
    jerrysandholm PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)ASUS ROG Strix GL502VS
    MotherboardASUS ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING
    ProcessorIntel Core i5 7600K 3.8GHz
    Graphics Card #1ASUS GeForce GTX1060 Strix OC 6GB
    CPU CoolerCryorig H7 CPU Cooler
    CasePhanteks Eclipse P400S
    Power SupplyFractal Design Integra M 650W

Just for feedback on BIOS update 301, still discharging under "Heavy" load, 10 percent discharged after 30 minutes of gaming.

ROG Member Array

If I may ask what exactly is the BIOS version 301 doing? I of course dont understand the description and Im a little bit afraid, that it actually says to the GPU to now work on maximum capacity, when the battery is under 98% and 90%.

"BIOS 301
    When battery capacity < 90%, notify GPU into D2
    When battery capacity > 98%, notify GPU into D1"

Btw is it that much of a problem for the Asus technical staff to actually try it on games like Witcher 3 (on max details on Full HD)? I mean before they let out another BIOS version?
    Last edited by Jabarkas; 03-16-2017 at 09:28 PM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by Jabarkas View Post
    If I may ask what exactly is the BIOS version 301 doing? I of course dont understand the description and Im a little bit afraid, that it actually says to the GPU to now work on maximum capacity, when the battery is under 98% and 90%.

"BIOS 301
    When battery capacity < 90%, notify GPU into D2
    When battery capacity > 98%, notify GPU into D1"

Btw is it that much of a problem for the Asus technical staff to actually try it on games like Witcher 3 (on max details on Full HD)? I mean before they let out another BIOS version?
    Good question. I'm on BIOS 201 cause all other 300+ bios discrease my laptop performance... while it charging it back. So feels like undervotling the only solution. And its not that bad actually.

ROG Member Array

I meant "...it actually says to the GPU to not work on maximum capacity, when the battery is under 98% and 90%."

That "now" would not make much sense in there.

Ex-employee Array

Thank you all for helping test the new BIOS, I already reported back the feedback to our notebook team and they're looking into it.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Here is example result from the test of 301 bios on default GPU boost curve:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DischargeTable.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	307.0 KB 
ID:	63268

Measurement precision is not great, but it gives some picture - as soon as GPU power consumption goes above 108-110 watt, battery starting to compensate the difference. To be said, maximum GPU power usage I've observed ever was around 125 watt.

Here are the averages for the run with full battery:

Name:	Averages.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	30.0 KB 
ID:	63269
    Heaven bench extreme preset FPS: 103 (same as on 201 bios)

Here are the averages for the run with battery charging (was discharged to 80% before test):

Name:	Averages_Charging.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	34.5 KB 
ID:	63270
    Heaven bench extreme preset FPS: 101
    Looks like while laptop is charging PWR_CAP for GPU is being set to something around 100 watts. So the battery successfully charges back.

So the conclusion is clear - the battery is still draining under high GPU load, but loops in charging cycle (from 90% up to 100% and back).

Monitoring data: link (onedrive).

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by SeaSpray View Post
    Just an update: Bahz replied to my PM.

He says he is collecting information from users and will forward the information to ASUS within this week.

He says that within 2 weeks ASUS should provide a response and an "alternative solution".*

Will keep you posted on this saga.

I have no idea what is being done with people with the original 180 watt power supplies, I don't think many people went through at the trouble of returning their machines and having the power supply replaced with the 230 watt model from ASUS under warranty, so I wonder just how people are responding to Bahz's information request? If the GL502VSK (KabyLake models shipped with the 230 watt power supplies) are also affected that could be a significant service.
    Hi SeaSpray,

I have the VSK model and it came with the 230 supply (adp-230eb t) Updated bios from 203 to 300, will check results and update, also downloaded 301. Edit, 300 no changes, not applying 301 based on previous posts..
    I have the same issue with the discharge and contacted support a few weeks ago. The first time I was told to delete the ACPI device and reboot. Of course this did nothing. The second time I was told to RMA which I did not do. Then found this thread, just sent Bahz the info requested.
    Last edited by bigoldbrat; 03-17-2017 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Bios version change

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by fenriv View Post
    Here is example result from the test of 301 bios on default GPU boost curve:
    Hi Fenriv, Thanks for your post and battery state data. Can I ask what software tool you used, and any tips on the measurement procedure? It looks like a very useful way to conduct the measurement.

Thanks to everyone for chipping in their responses.

Page 33 of 71 FirstFirst ... 23 31 32 33 34 35 43 ... LastLast