Page 7 of 71 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 57 ... LastLast
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by peggy View Post
    The problem with the 230W adapter which this laptop really needs is that the plug is physically bigger so they need to release one for this model.*
    damn, you're right. the 752 power port is different.

What a big ass oversight by Asus. They cheaped out because they wanted to recycle the chassis of the previous generation GL502.

That would explain why they can't make the hole bigger to plug in the bigger ac adapter.

But really, does the 230w brick really need a big connector to function?
    Last edited by link626; 12-11-2016 at 02:34 AM.

ROG Member Array

Other users have gotten larger PSUs (210 and 330 I think) with a compatible connector, but they continued to see the problem. Something about the draw from the PSU being capped.

ROG Member Array

Concerning the discharge, mine drops around 5 - 10% after playing GTA for 1 hour or so with the AC adapter on. Is it okay to keep the adapter plugged in all the time whether before gaming, while gaming, and after gaming? Keeping it in charge to 100% even though i only used around 5 -10%?

ROG Member Array

For those who are hoping that ASUS could raise the power laptop could draw from PSU, please flip your laptops you would see "19V 9.23A 180Watt" marked in the back.

This could possibly indicate that there is a hard physical limit of how much power laptop could draw from PSU.

Anyway, I sent my unit back for "repair" and I'm curious to see what ASUS would do to my product.

ROG Member Array

The small barrel is probably a design of the past GL5XX which didn't have such a high power consumption GPU.*
    The BIOS might have a power draw limit in order to not burn out the adapter.

All is not lost, check out the Asus driver site for GL502VS and you will see they just uploaded a new model called GL502VSK!!
    It's either Kaby Lake CPU or HK series CPU. Either way, if you check the manual, you can see a 230W is available, as well as the usual 180W. So maybe they might provide us with the 230W in the near future.

I'm having some battery issues here where my battery is @ 12% wear level after 4 days.
    This whole discharging while gaming isn't helping at all. *

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by AAAAdrianLi View Post
    For those who are hoping that ASUS could raise the power laptop could draw from PSU, please flip your laptops you would see "19V 9.23A 180Watt" marked in the back.

This could possibly indicate that there is a hard physical limit of how much power laptop could draw from PSU.

Anyway, I sent my unit back for "repair" and I'm curious to see what ASUS would do to my product.
    I'm really interested on this "repair". Will you post the update here please?

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by andreasstevan View Post
    I'm really interested on this "repair". Will you post the update here please?
    So my product was received by ASUS on 12/09, and I talked to an online representative today (12/16) for an estimation of repair time. The reply is "The repairs initially started on 12/09 but has been hold due to wait for parts/materials since 12/12. The touchpad, motherboard, battery and a few other parts are pending to be replaced."

I don't quite understand why so many parts need to be replaced. Does this mean that ASUS found a solution to this battery drain problem? I don't know but I hope so.

I will keep you guys updated.

ROG Member Array

I was the one who tried a 210w and 330w adapter with no luck. Same volts, just higher amperage.

The adapter here works just fine for the GL502VS: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I was using this adapter (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) as well as a 330 Alienware M18x R2 adapter.

I decided the hassle wasn't worth all of this, and thankfully the vendor I purchased it from is letting me return my system, even though I'm outside their normal 30 day policy. I decided to order an HP Omen 17 instead, which... so far so good with that system.

Anyhow, I wish you all the best of luck.

-Rip

New ROGer Array

So my product was received by ASUS on 12/09, and I talked to an online representative today (12/16) for an estimation of repair time. The reply is "The repairs initially started on 12/09 but has been hold due to wait for parts/materials since 12/12. The touchpad, motherboard, battery and a few other parts are pending to be replaced."

I don't quite understand why so many parts need to be replaced. Does this mean that ASUS found a solution to this battery drain problem? I don't know but I hope so.

I am in the same boat. *This is the second time mine has been sent back. *The first time, all they did was install a new battery which did not fix the issue. *They didn't even test for the actual problem according to the documentation was sent back with the comouter which was irriatating. *Even though the issue was documented with the RMA via Asus and the paperwork I was required to send along. * So I am curious what they are doing this time and I hope they have found a fix to the issue. *I'll let you know when I get it back. *

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

typical asus.. Sounds like how they tried to repair my asus laptop (not the GL502)

They take a shotgun approach to repair, and just replace everything, then send it back to you without testing it.

The bigger issue is that changing the motherboard with the same defective motherboard won't fix the issue. They're just wasting money with parts replacement, because this is a design flaw that requires the motherboard to be redesigned probably.

Page 7 of 71 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 57 ... LastLast